Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Buy watch on Kickstarter


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WTF does "with sustainable attitude" mean?

Oh, does that refer to the OP's BS story about "my friend heard about this watch" and inquiry into kickstarter? Because the rank smell of insincerity tends to disperse once I've flushed the toilet.

OP never even came back to reply. Y'know, if you're going to market this way, you ought to at least engage and participate in the forum communities for a few days or weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chromejob said:

OP never even came back to reply. Y'know, if you're going to market this way, you ought to at least engage and participate in the forum communities for a few days or weeks.

This is spot-on ^  :yes:

I thought the Kickstarter section on the forum was quite a good idea at first, but too many of them just want a quick and free plug, before moving on without even responding to our comments.  Not exactly in the spirit of the forum, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth allowing them in here at all, or if they should be treated as spammers.  The very least they should be doing is making a donation to Roy for the use of his bandwidth, or offering up a working sample for members to try out in the real world.

In the meantime, maybe we should be tearing them to shreds with brutally honest reviews, instead of trying to be helpful :laughing2dw:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

This is spot-on ^  :yes:

I thought the Kickstarter section on the forum was quite a good idea at first, but too many of them just want a quick and free plug, before moving on without even responding to our comments.  Not exactly in the spirit of the forum, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth allowing them in here at all, or if they should be treated as spammers.  The very least they should be doing is making a donation to Roy for the use of his bandwidth, or offering up a working sample for members to try out in the real world.

In the meantime, maybe we should be tearing them to shreds with brutally honest reviews, instead of trying to be helpful :laughing2dw:

+1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the sub-section works as a ghetto to shunt their drivel to where it doesn't distract from other topic threads. I just looked in this morning while watching a severe spring storm (with one inch hail!) blew by outside.

T'is either that, or kill the threads and ban them. But the former is probably less work for the mods.

I just think it's pitiful that people jump onto discussion communities to … advertise. If one of these dolts REALLY wanted to make some sales, erm raise some cash, they'd JOIN IN and participate. In the mid 90s I berated e-j-mail (spam) as treating the Internet means for conversation as a one-way advertising medium, which was stupid and parasitic. It continues 20 yrs later as this idiocy.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
You must also remember that apart from buying a watch, you also kind of helping out these guys start something and if I may say from what I saw after looking around, some of these Watches on Kickstarter are not that bad.

So says ... who are you again? You just joined. Are you a watchmaker, a watch seller, a … dare I ask … a Kickstarter watch entrepreneur?
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-8 at 00:18, Chromejob said:


So says ... who are you again? You just joined. Are you a watchmaker, a watch seller, a … dare I ask … a Kickstarter watch entrepreneur?

Once again the silence is deafening :whistle:

I think we should give them (the OP and him) a poke eh,, just to wake them up? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So we buy old fishing boats in Bali and then make boxes to send out our watches in?  What's the carbon footprint of that as a miles thing?

Ho hum stick it up yer - - -

Mind you I never knew that the forty odd years I wore suits to work - automatic watches were too thick :bash: you learn summat new every day :thumbsup:

Edited by mel
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Strange, I wouldn't trust pledging money on kickstarter, afraid of losing my hard earned cash.  I say strange, as I have quite happily paid it to someone in China.  Not all Chinese watches deserve the poor reputation they have heaped on them because of the mass produced tat that many manufacturers turn out, I know this to be true.  So I should be applying similar thought processes to kickstarter watches, you pays your money and you takes a chance.  But the thing is, with so many Kickstarter projects, it's a lot of money, surrounded by hype and ambiguity.  I am never sure where I stand, could I end up losing out?

Does anyone else have these concerns ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2017 at 19:46, Bernd Bolg said:

Hi everyone

 

I am looking for a watch that I can wear with my suit. Since automatic watches are too thick it shout be a quartz movement and max. 8mm thin. So I took a look at Daniel Wellington and Kapten & Son, however, they only have mineral glass and Asian movements (I know the Japan movement of Daniel Wellington is good, but I would like to have a swiss one ;D). Now a Friend of mine is absolutely excited about these Styrman & Crew watches.  They have a swiss movement and sapphire glass while the design is almost the same.

 

At the moment, they have a Kickstarter campaign running https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/759770222/minimalistic-watches-high-quality-components-from  where the watches are much cheaper. However, I don’t have any experience with Kickstarter. Is Kickstarter trustworthy and will I definitely get my watch? By now the campaign seems to be on a good way to reach its goal..

 

Thank you

Bernd

Dear Bernd,

couple of friends of mine have already bought watches through kickstarter. It is a good space for the company boost and also a good opportunity for people to get some products for a good price. However, I would definitely check their social media and try to get more information about the company, especially about what direction they want go. Currently I am looking at Hirwill and Nordgreen. https://nordgreen.com/ Of course you cannot expect the watches on kickstarter to be of premium quality. 

Best,

Molly. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2017 at 15:46, Kev7950 said:

Strange, I wouldn't trust pledging money on kickstarter, afraid of losing my hard earned cash.  I say strange, as I have quite happily paid it to someone in China.  Not all Chinese watches deserve the poor reputation they have heaped on them because of the mass produced tat that many manufacturers turn out, I know this to be true.  So I should be applying similar thought processes to kickstarter watches, you pays your money and you takes a chance.  But the thing is, with so many Kickstarter projects, it's a lot of money, surrounded by hype and ambiguity.  I am never sure where I stand, could I end up losing out?

Does anyone else have these concerns ?

Yes. There is (or was) a very active thread on WUS about a Kickstarter campaign from a watch enthusiast, who apparently really did intend to get a great watch ... but he's a newbie, and set the price too low (according to a more experience watch producer who's sourced his watches from manufacturers in China), didn't set up QC safeguards, received watches that didn't match the design specs he'd promised, had to go back to China to get revised parts, was going to provide the replacement parts to his funders to have fitted locally (oops, the price of the watch just went up), blah blah blah.  Either he or another also funded the seemingly same project with Indiegogo, either getting double-funding for each watch, or getting more funding to produce more watches or something ... well, who's in line first to get finished product? 

It's a roulette game, from my perspective, and we know the odds are slanted to The House more on that table than any other casino game. I don't think these crowdsourced projects necessarily put funders in the driver's seat. It puts them in teh boobie seat. Crowdfunding film productions like Veronica Mars or MST3K is something different. But as a way to buy a product that has as yet not been produced ... the old adage I heard here on TWF first applies, "buy the seller, then the watch." If you don't know much about the project lead, then you are giving away your money. Maybe you'll get a watch, maybe not ... and just maybe, you'll get something like what was described. But I wouldn't hold your breath. Seems "boutique" watches on crowdsourcing are the latest scam. Using curated photos, lush language, and lots of fluff, each project looks marvelous, but the end product may not even be worth the money spent (compared with routine manufacturing and sales channels). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2017 at 12:46, Bernd Bolg said:

Hi everyone

 

I am looking for a watch that I can wear with my suit. Since automatic watches are too thick it shout be a quartz movement and max. 8mm thin. So I took a look at Daniel Wellington and Kapten & Son, however, they only have mineral glass and Asian movements (I know the Japan movement of Daniel Wellington is good, but I would like to have a swiss one ;D). Now a Friend of mine is absolutely excited about these Styrman & Crew watches.  They have a swiss movement and sapphire glass while the design is almost the same.

 

At the moment, they have a Kickstarter campaign running https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/759770222/minimalistic-watches-high-quality-components-from  where the watches are much cheaper. However, I don’t have any experience with Kickstarter. Is Kickstarter trustworthy and will I definitely get my watch? By now the campaign seems to be on a good way to reach its goal..

 

Thank you

Bernd

Hi Bernd, our watch campaign just launched on KickStarter. And Apollo is a regulator watch inspired by space. 

 I think you will like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...