• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Bob1971

Smiths Pocketwatch - Hairsprings

Another question...

I nearly got another Smiths pocket watch going, but now believe problem lies with the hair spring. Mostly because when I moved the adjustment lever on the ticking watch, the hairspring bent all out of shape and the watch stopped and will not go again. 

What's the best way of getting a replacement? (I know they're only cheap watches, not really meant for repair..but I'd like to resurrect mine if I can)

I don't particularly want to buy anymore 'job lots' off eBay for spares. I initially bought four, 1 now working, one missing balance completely - nothing to be done. And now 2 with mangled hairsprings (admittedly both my fault).

Just thinking there must be hundreds of partially working versions of these watches constantly circulating around the bay, slowly being stripped of parts then put back up for sale. Like a huge and super slow motion game of 'happy families'....

Bob

Well ideally you need to find a similar movement so you can swop the complete balance and hairspring.

New hairsprings can be obtained and fitted, but this is an extremley complex and time consuming procedure, requiring dexterity and additional tools if you want it to be an accurate timekeeper, will see if i can find a picture....... Brain surgery holding the scapel between your teeth and not your hands would be much easier...........

Here it is, a hairspring vibration tool, 

Weight of balance and moment of inertia needs to be calculated to ascertain the size and thickness of the hairspring, then it must be calibrated and the length of the spring adusted to suit the balance.

Thanks Harry. That's about e^6 levels above where I'm at. Impressive all the same . :)

At this point, I'd just like the watch to be able to tick....I so nearly had it too. Just one concentration lapse, after a bit of oiling. 

Hairspring is grabbed in adjustment arm slot. 

Check adjustment arm to see hairspring runing through the slot, consisting of the boot and pin. If hairspring is grabbed between the boot and the pin, use oiler or sharp point tool to move the pin inbound, thereby widening the slot for free movement of hairspring in between.

On 07/02/2017 at 12:12, Bob1971 said:

Thanks Harry. That's about e^6 levels above where I'm at. Impressive all the same . :)

At this point, I'd just like the watch to be able to tick....I so nearly had it too. Just one concentration lapse, after a bit of oiling. 

I picked up a few NOS Smiths / Ingersol / Services pocketwatch hairsprings a few weeks ago, if you cover the post I stick one in the post.