UK Watch Forum banner

Komandskie or Amphibian?

822 views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  relaxer7 
#1 ·
I see that you can buy a new Komandirskie for £38 plus a fiver postage, while the Amphibian is a bit more, at £59 plus postage.

I would like to add one or two new "Ruskies" to my collection and I cannot decide which model to buy, and I actually rather like the decorative military-themed dials.

For me, the Komandirskie would be a more sensible choice because I do use the date feature on my wearers, but what about the difference between the movements in the two models and the greater WR for the Amphibian - is the extra for the Amphibian well worth the extra price?

Some advice would be welcome - and perhaps even cheaper sources for these watches. :)

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Both watches are great and both watches can have pretty good quality movements but I'm assuming that you're talking about the cheap "modern" stuff that goes around the internet... ?

I'd go for an Amphibian as I prefer their design but I would say that both of them are the same s**t frankly. :biggrin:

You can find plenty of vintages online as well, possibly, with far better movements but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Some can be mint, others are not, obviously.

I really don't like most of the modern ones being sold and I'm even questioning the genuineness of some... The vintage ones look better quality but I could be wrong...

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can't imagine not having enough money for both. Even in highschool I made enough for that. Get the komanderski first then next pay day the amphibian.

Problem solved, you said you wanted two anyway.

I too have wanted a russkie or two for a while now. The main thing holding me back is their movements utilizing the 18k beat rate. It just pains me to look at that stuttering seconds hand... The Japanese 21.6k is bad enough and already difficult to get past.

#7 ·
Plenty of Amphibias with dates out there. As Martin has already said, the Amphibia is stainless steel as opposed to the chrome plated brass case of the Komandirskie which does tend to pit after a while. Amphibia all the way - put a WTB on here for a cheap 2nd hand one and I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers.

#8 ·
I don't think I'd wear any of the new ones as they come (tacky bracelet, snide crown, jarg bezel), I got mine purely as a low risk modification project. I'm waiting for a new bezel and insert to arrive to finish this off.

0mCgnug.jpg

eVzlPEV.jpg

I can always switch it back to scuba dude with the date if I want to however it's not a quickset and I wanted the rounder 420 amphibian case so had to merge a couple of models and that shocking crown had to go.

I had one of the 80s komanderskies with the mad tank pictures on the dial, which was fun in a kitsch kind of way but the movement packed in pretty quickly and the repair cost more than the watch so I never collected it in the end.

In summary, unless you fancy tinkering with a new one, or you don't mind wearing something a bit daft and of dubious quality from the past I'd put the dosh towards something more sensible!

#10 ·
I see that you can buy a new Komandirskie for £38 plus a fiver postage, while the Amphibian is a bit more, at £59 plus postage.

I would like to add one or two new "Ruskies" to my collection and I cannot decide which model to buy, and I actually rather like the decorative military-themed dials.

For me, the Komandirskie would be a more sensible choice because I do use the date feature on my wearers, but what about the difference between the movements in the two models and the greater WR for the Amphibian - is the extra for the Amphibian well worth the extra price?

Some advice would be welcome - and perhaps even cheaper sources for these watches. :)
Where about can you source these at these sensible prices?

I've searched on line and get ridiculous prices asked for them.

Any pointers would be welcome.

#15 ·
Coincidentally I have been looking at the Vostoks on Evilbay. Cheap as chips, aren't they ? But, and it's a BIG but, I find the blues and greens a bit garish .I'd like to find one with the sort of blue found on the new Mako, and green like the Sarb017.

@Draygo showed one the other day (Sunday ?) with a black dial. I would love one like that with a blue dial.

#19 ·
Thanks so much - so many views, I don't know what to do - leave well alone, buy the amphibian, start with the Komandirskie and then buy an Amphibian, stick with pre-owned older models, ... I think I shall just buy the watches I like the look of rather than worry too much about whether or not they are Komandirskies or Amphibians, as there are certain dials/bezels I particularly like. Also, now that I know that there are Amphibians with a date feature, this, opens up that model to me, and I like the fact that these are stainless steel watches. Also I shall be looking for the cheapest online prices. :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.