• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
elhaydon

Vintage Seiko Ebay

Hi All,

I've just came across this watch on ebay Seiko 5. I see a lot of these Seiko 5's on ebay for around the same price point and just wondered if they were a good watch to get started with. I'd like to start getting a few more automatic/mechanical and more vintage watches and wanted to know your opinions.

Although at the lower end of the budget it would be nice to get watches that still hold their value and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what models I should start to look at sub £50.

Thanks!

The first rule of watch collecting;

NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM INDIA. EVER. EVER.

99% of them will be fakes or frankens. At the very least they will have repainted dials, definitely not good for a collector.

Sorry.   :laugh:

• Like 4

not sure you will buy any watch under £50 that will hold much of its value, best looking for pre owned , which might be a better bet, here in the sales corner can be a good hunting ground , as we generally have good deals and you know who & were its coming from.

deano

3 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

not sure you will buy any watch under £50 that will hold much of its value, best looking for pre owned , which might be a better bet, here in the sales corner can be a good hunting ground , as we generally have good deals and you know who & were its coming from.

deano

Hi Deano,

It may be me being an absolute fool, but I couldn't find anything for sales. Where should I look?

Hi there,

The seiko 5 in my opinion is a good watch to start off your collection. I bought one off ebay about 5 years ago for £24 from a UK seller. My only gripe with it is that at night, after removing it from my wrist, it has stopped working by the morning.   

5 minutes ago, elhaydon said:

Hi Deano,

It may be me being an absolute fool, but I couldn't find anything for sales. Where should I look?

sorry , my fault I was thinking a bit longer term  as  you have to have 50 posts to be able to access it here , but as long as you don't speed post it soon mounts and then the world is your oyster :laugh: well wallet draining .

deano

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cubby said:

Hi there,

The seiko 5 in my opinion is a good watch to start off your collection. I bought one off ebay about 5 years ago for £24 from a UK seller. My only gripe with it is that at night, after removing it from my wrist, it has stopped working by the morning.   

A Seiko 5 is certainly a very good place to start, but never a bodge job like the one the OP was looking at. As Kev said, NEVER buy from India. It might look nice and shiny, but who knows what's going on inside ?

However, and I say this as a Seiko fan, very few £50 Seikos will hold their value, even a new one bought from a proper shop !

Edited by Mr Levity
  • Like 3

Sekio 5 a good watch, as said resist buying from far flung around placed... I bought a 7002 which gained or lost 20 mins in a week depending on how it felt! 

I brought one as a every day wearer a few months back I'm really heavy on watches I usually get about two years out of a watch except my g shock I'm on about year four on that just got fed up of wearing it for a bit .I'm pleased with it so far just ordered a new strap as the one it comes with is crap I prefer velcro straps for everyday use 

I love the seiko 5s, I have 7 of them and find them cheap and reliable, and relatively easy to work on. 

I like the fact they've come in so many styles over the years, some hideous some beautiful :)