• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Keep them original

There are , I suppose, quite a few things you can do to a watch.  From changing a strap to modding.

The Seiko I had incoming yesterday would look good on a brown strap BUT I am highly reluctant to alter it original state.  The only time I have changed straps on a watch are when they wear out, even then I try and keep the original buckle.

Anybody else keen on keeping watches as original as possible or doesn't it matter to you :thumbsup:

Cheers

• Like 2

It's changing a strap, not "damaging" a desirable vintage watch by a heavy polish. 

I change straps on a daily basis. Keeps my watches interesting and doesn't make me feel I need to own a couple of hundred of them. I even wear watches with a buckle bearing a different manufacturers branding on it :tongue:

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Iceblue said:

The first thing I do on some of my watches is remove the strap to keep it mint and I  fit another strap as its a lot easier to take if you mark a non original strap :thumbsup:

Note to self: "Buy more watches from Iceblue...."  :whistle:

• Like 4

Aaaaaaah......Lucky Davey, just the man.  I was going to ask you what you were going to put in your prize photo frame?  A picture of Roy and the Mods?  Maybe a reclining S Bryant ?

Id love to know :thumbsup:  As to the cufflinks.....eyebrow piercings?

10 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Note to self: "Buy more watches from Iceblue...."  :whistle:

4 minutes ago, RWP said:

Aaaaaaah......Lucky Davey, just the man.  I was going to ask you what you were going to put in your prize photo frame?  A picture of Roy and the Mods?  Maybe a reclining S Bryant ?

Id love to know :thumbsup:  As to the cufflinks.....eyebrow piercings?

The cufflinks have already been offered up for grabs, and subsequently claimed by Pip.  And the photo frame? Who knows, but I won't be leaving the photo of a bleedin' Rolex in there, that's for sure :laughing2dw:

• Like 2

I am defo a bracelet man and I will always get the bracelet version of any watch, but I have swapped straps on some, I have taken the bracelet off the Cartier as it marks just looking at it! so its on a nice blue leather deployment, but I am not confident to do bezel changes, dial & hand mods.

deano

• Like 1

That really depends.

I just can't wear any of the metal bracelets that came with several of my watches, my skinny, bony wrist finds that umfomfortable very quickly.  So, popping a leather, cordura, NATO or rubber strap on is pretty much a nececity.  In fact, several of my watches really change their character with just a simple strap change; they morph from tool, to casual, to smart casual, to dress depending on what I wear them on.

I'd leave serious "modding" to more modern Japanese watches.  I don't know why, but I see this sort of work as replicating modifying boy-racer street cars and drift cars; the results can look great, but best if done on a Far-Eastern base model?

On the other hand, vintage mechanicals I would like to keep as original as possible.  I think.  I'd replace a crystal if it was cracked, but just buff it if it was only scratched.  I'd service the movement and replace parts if it meant it would run more reliably. I'd hope not need to touch the case.  In fact, this is something I am giving a LOT of thought to right now - I (hopefully) have a significant incomming that will almost definitely need some work doing on it and I really can't decide what will be best...

J

• Like 1

Funny how some people think changing the bracelet or strap is "modding" a watch. Some on the "Show us your modded Steinhart" thread on WUS show up with a different leather strap. O_o ORLY (not the airport, but online jargon "oh really").

I change out straps and bracelets and straps with the seasons, or on a whim. I just put a strap on my Mk II that I think I bought off Roy at one time.

It's all about comfort, and looks.

29a7c9cd2500904c927e82455a470ce7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you keep the original strap in a safe place, particularly if it is a metal bracelet, don't you end up with a watch bearing a delightful patina from years of gentle enjoyment, but a strap that looks all gleaming and new still - and thus doesn't suit the watch?  Like when you open up the extending dining table and there's that middle bit that is so different from the bits that the sun has faded? 

• Like 1

I like my watches to look as pristine as possible...scratched crystals or bracelets are a no-no as far as I'm concerned. That's why the Sea Urchin I bought a coupole of weeks ago has been returned to mint condition. Currently on the lookout for a blue Seiko 6139-6012, but I know that if I can get one, I'll probably have to change the crystal at the very least.

large.20160415_205830-1_zpscejb1hla.JPG.436b44165dee359078144d71dfc79a9e.JPG

• Like 1

I'm currently tempted by a knackered 70s diver that was finished in now-peeling chrome. Wasn't worth much then, isn't worth much now, and I'm considering getting the case bead blasted to strip the chrome - I like the vintage features but don't like the condition. 

If I was precious and had money I'd buy something with more heritage, a better movement and in great condition but I'm not and I don't!

Do what's right for you, literally nobody I meet in my day to day life gives a seconds thought about the watch I'm obsessively wearing.

• Like 1