• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Eco drive not charging

Any opinions or suggestions...

Got my citizen Eco drive world time, haven't worn much but even sitting in my room the box has plexiglass top and it's front and center. Though little light gets in during day.

Anyway it was at half charge the other day a week ago or so, and I wore it, but it didn't charge during day. Admittedly it was hidden by sleeves most the day.

Anyway it's at bottom of charge. Skipping seconds. I'm letting it sit in my bathroom overnight with light on hoping for the best. Does normal home lighting work? How long should I expect to see results?

I let it sit in my window sill a week ago with shade up and it didn't charge. Although it was overcast and cloudy. Shouldn't it still have charged some?

Edited by JayDeep
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see your 2005 Eco-Drive and raise you my 1977 Citizen Crystron solar. They weren't trying to hide the solar cells then and like most new innovations on the market over 40 years ago it was obviously

Mine seem ok if as others say i put them on an unobstructed window sill in good sunlight, but the glass does absorb some light and takes longer than if outside, although being outside for a few hours

Should've charged under most of those conditions. I've read in the past of the various rechargeable watches' capacitors going bad, some WIS will replace them with batteries that can be recharged, for much better reliability.

How old's the watch? Probably needs a new capacitor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Any opinions or suggestions...

Got my citizen Eco drive world time, haven't worn much but even sitting in my room the box has plexiglass top and it's front and center. Though little light gets in during day.

Anyway it was at half charge the other day a week ago or so, and I wore it, but it didn't charge during day. Admittedly it was hidden by sleeves most the day.

Anyway it's at bottom of charge. Skipping seconds. I'm letting it sit in my bathroom overnight with light on hoping for the best. Does normal home lighting work? How long should I expect to see results?

I let it sit in my window sill a week ago with shade up and it didn't charge. Although it was overcast and cloudy. Shouldn't it still have charged some?

It's a little known fact that they don't like American light. They like good old English light. :rofl:

Mine seem to charge under any light. Just pop it into your local watch guy and he should be able to check the solar cell etc.

Rob....

• Like 1

I don't know whether it would be the same but in the instruction manual for my solar Casio Pro Trek it says that for a mostly empty charge watch it will take around 31 hours to charge fully in direct sunlight through a window, how long was yours charging do you think? It seems it can take a surprisingly long time to charge when they get really low :yes: 

• Like 1

Never had any problems with Eco Drives, but my Seiko solar took two whole days of natural light to get it going after completely stopping, so it may be that it has got so low that it needs a long time to recharge. As @Robden says, must be that damn foreign light you have over there.:laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me, mine has just died too.

Daylight works best for mine although I do tend to leave it under one of the low kitchen lights we have from time to time. Not too close mind, probably about 12 inches or so away.

I'd try the daylight/artificial light for a couple of days first before worrying about it

• Like 1

I've owned a fair few eco-drives & whilst most have been reliable 2 have died on me - one was a Mission Antarctica (super watch really & one you rarely if ever see for sale now) & the other is a diver I can't remember the model name of (I still have it & it's quite a rare one I think - it's similar to the Mission Antarctica as it has a titanium case & GMT hand). I currently own 2 eco-drives, the aforementioned defunct diver & a chronograph which is now working again after throwing its dummy out of the pram. I find that windowsills are the best place to charge them.

To be honest I'm not sure I trust them - if it was my only watch which I wore everyday then it'd probably be OK but as part of a collection, with longish periods of not being worn, then I'm not sure they work that well :( 

• Like 1

I seem to recall reading that the Seiko Kinetics will run a month or was it three months on a full charge. There's a way to tell how much charge it has. Do the Eco Drives have a function like that?

• Like 1

Mine seem ok if as others say i put them on an unobstructed window sill in good sunlight, but the glass does absorb some light and takes longer than if outside, although being outside for a few hours could be problematic. Artificial light is ok but takes much longer.Trouble also with window sills in sunlight is the watch becomes very hot, which is not good as regards expansion and thinning of any lubricants.Just have to roll the sleeves up and wander about in the sun for a few hours!

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

I seem to recall reading that the Seiko Kinetics will run a month or was it three months on a full charge. There's a way to tell how much charge it has. Do the Eco Drives have a function like that?

I don't know about ALL........but I have about eight and non of them does :)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, graham1981 said:

I don't know whether it would be the same but in the instruction manual for my solar Casio Pro Trek it says that for a mostly empty charge watch it will take around 31 hours to charge fully in direct sunlight through a window, how long was yours charging do you think? It seems it can take a surprisingly long time to charge when they get really low :yes: 

Ohhh maybe. Yes it was fully drained almost to point of stopping. I charged it for about 8 hours. Had about a quarter of charge. Was feeling good about that went to change time to update to daylight savings which I hadn't done yet and just doing that it drained back to almost zero. So I set it in my window sill and left my bedroom light on hoping the work day will give it a bit more.

Seems like it will charge but that average incandescent lighting isn't really sufficient for it.

It's now what, 2 days, let it sit in my window sill two days while at work and overnight twice in a lit room, still only at about 25%, which is the same spot it seems to go immediately after having even the slightest charge.

I feel like there's got to be something wrong with it. I mean it's cloudy. And I've got my blinds closed. But there's still plenty of light coming through.

I agree with an earlier poster. If it doesn't charge fully then look at getting the capacitor replaced. How old is the watch? My old Seiko Kinetic had a very early version of their storage capacitor which (after I'd left it unused for about a year) would not charge fully. I replaced it with a shiny new version about two years ago, and its going strong. It also holds the charge for much longer.

• Like 1

Update:

Okay I took your advice and left it on my car dash under more direct natural light today. I'm amazed what a difference it made. There were very few sun breaks today and it was only out there maybe 6 hours, but it's almost fully charged now.

This thing is very particular. My Seiko solar charges in indoor lighting quickly. Oh well good to know there's nothing wrong with it. Whew!

Thanks fellas.

• Like 2

Some too soon and have it too much credit.

Within minutes of bringing it back inside is back down to under half.

Pretty sure by morning it will be doing the skip seconds thing again and showing barely alive.

More and more props to Seiko, while less and less respect for citizen.

Capacitor.

I know you'd get expert ideas at teh SCWF. I vaguely recall discussion of customization of one of those brands, swapping their flakey capacitors for real deal rechargeable batteries. Practically a DIY operation.

34 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

Capacitor.

I know you'd get expert ideas at teh SCWF. I vaguely recall discussion of customization of one of those brands, swapping their flakey capacitors for real deal rechargeable batteries. Practically a DIY operation.

This citizen doesn't have a capacitor. I've read it from citizen many times how I'll hear this in the watch world a hundred times but it doesn't exist in this watch.

• 3 years later...

The best thing about solar devices is that you can charge them anytime the sun is out. You can even charge it with a daylight-set light source. It will take you approximately 3 to 5 minutes of charging to get you 24 hours’ worth of watch power. Letting the light in: Solar gadgets have made work continuous; you don’t have to plug them on a charging device or to a convenience outlet every time the power runs low. This means that you just put your watch under a light source while working, driving, or when you’re not using it. The exposure of the gadget will recharge it without the need for constant checking or surveillance.

On 22/03/2017 at 22:08, JayDeep said:

More and more props to Seiko, while less and less respect for citizen.

My Citizen Eco-Drive with the caliber E760 movement has been going strong since 2005.  Of course is has two power-saver modes.  My daughter's Reguno (Citizen sub brand) went from full stop to normal operation with under 3 hours under a table lamp.