• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Laptop suggestions please

I searched the last 9 pages or so and dont see anything about laptops so apologies if I missed it.

I currently have a 19 inch laptop, not very portable, an old Dell that must be at least 10 years old, win xp etc, takes 10 mins to load up and is well passed its sell by date - bought for much cheapness and has served it's purpose very well :yes:

Looking to upgrade to something a bit newer that'll do me for the next 3-5 years preferably. Been using a Dell latitude (more businessy) for work etc and seems very robust.

Already have a couple of tabets but the kids tend to use them so I'm relegated to my mobile.

General use will be surfing spreadsheets etc, nothing to labour intensive. Price £2-400 can stretch it a bit, windows, SSD (works ones are rapid), would prefer Dell but I am open to others, probably 13 inch

Suggestions/advice please? 

You should be able to find a very good laptop for 400 pounds. The SSD might require a bit of a budget but the rest is cheap stuff. There aren't many 13" ones out there and I would suggest the standard 15".

Dell laptops are indeed solid quality and you could go with one of theirs but in the end they're all fine as long as you pick a company with experience in the field that has good customer support (in case things go downstream).

I would buy the best laptop I can for the budget and get the SSD afterwards. Even then it would have to be a relatively small one so used in tandem with the default HDD.

Get a 60GB SSD (around 100$) and use it for running and installing software (including Windows) and use the classic HDD for storing data.

A friend of mine is quite taken with Dell Inspirons (come in 13", 15", even 17" sizes), some are 2-in-1s that become a tablet. I almost bought one at Costco last month.

If you're near a Costco, are or aren't a member, consider getting one there. In the US at least, they extend the warranty a year, and if you use the Costco Visa card, they extend an additional 2 years, for 4 years manufacturer warranty total. Skip any extended warranties, Consumer Reports discourages them. … Costco has rebates regularly on their Dells.

To help narrow the field, get one with at least 8 GB of RAM. Unless you absolutely must have scads of onboard storage, get one with a solid state hard drive (SSD), it will make booting, performing, and read/writes lightning fast. Generally the Dells have 256GB of SSD storage, some higher models 512 GB. You can always get a plug-in USB 3 drive (make sure your new laptop has at least one USB 3 or USB-C port) or thumb drive for offloading data.

Not all touchscreens are equal, I've tried some that caught window reflections awfully bad, and a quivering screen (while I typed) that was reflecting light back at me was driving me batty. But the convertibility is really handy. Test drive in the store if you can. BTW, a laptop bought at Costco can be returned for refund within 90 days.

If you don't need Windows, iPad Air with Logitech slim folio BT keyboard is handy, it's what I'm using now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Dell laptop too, and back up what has already been said. If you want to avoid the Windows trap, I hear Dell are marketing Linux machines, although I have zero experience of them, but quite like Linux.

mike

I asked the same question late last year, as my valve powered job was blatantly inadequate (along with the operator) :yes:

Fellow members, as can be relied upon, proffered their advice on seeking a replacement. :thumbsup:

I chose to follow, I think it was Jon @PC-Magician, advice & seek an independent to supply & configure one for me.

I now have a 15.6"  HP notebook ba055 sa, 8GB ram, 1TB storage, Windows 10.

After a prior discussion with the chap followed by a 2 hour tutorial when it arrived, total cost was (I think :tumbleweed:) £420.

I'm no expert but it's currently serving my illiteracy very well. :biggrin:

I can't offer any specific technical advice, and it sounds like you are already set on buying a Dell anyway, but I will say that I've had a Samsung R730 laptop for quite a few years, and it's been brilliant.  Totally reliable, used every day for work, carried on planes a few times every month, and it still performs perfectly.  Mine has the larger 17" screen, which is nice and clear for my highly detailed illustration work, and although the processor is a (presumably) relatively outdated Intel Core i3, it is easily fast enough for my needs.  Still running Windows 7, because Windows 10 is not compatible with my version of CorelDraw, which is my main software.

The only fault I can think of since I've had it is the battery doesn't last as long as it used to.  In fact, it's pretty much buggered, and lasts maybe 15 - 20 mins.  However, as I only use the laptop plugged into the mains anyway, that doesn't bother me at all.

I keep thinking I ought to treat myself to a new laptop sometime, but while this one is working fine it seems a bit pointless.  However, when the time comes, I'll definitely be looking at Samsung again :thumbsup:

Good luck in your search anyway mate, buying computers can be a minefield at the best of times so you might need some luck :laugh:

• Like 1

I use one of these and it is the best laptop I have ever had in terms of portability, flexibility and performance. I do word processing and spreadsheets, basic Photoshop graphics and web design on it. Being both a tablet and a laptop (or netbook if you prefer). It has reduced the amount of devices I need to tote around. After a year of usage the battery life is still in the 9hr range, and the connection interface between the tablet and base is just as sturdy as it was when new :thumbsup:

• Like 1

^ Good point. Costco offers Concierge Tech Support as an interface to the manufacturer and first responder. Another value add.

Ah, CorelDraw! [sic] Used it since version 1.82 or so, still on 9 with my2005 Thinkpad T43 (yes an antique, running XP O_o). Along with Photoshop CS2 for bitmap graphics. :}

Odd, Acer makes good Chromebooks, a friend showed me one, claimed it was the BESTEST he'd had.

Were Chromebooks even on the table? HP makes good 14" Chromebooks. Low cost, do most of what most people want to do online (cloud-based, web-based noodling, email, sharing, documents through SaaS).

14 hours ago, Chromejob said:

Odd, Acer makes good Chromebooks, a friend showed me one, claimed it was the BESTEST he'd had.

Mine was a regular laptop, not a Chromebook. It came without an operating system. I installed Windows 7 on it. It started being slower and slower over the next couple of years and, just a few weeks after the warranty expired, it completely broke. I took it to a repair shop and they said that it was beyond repair.

• 1 month later...

I always buy business grade, not the consumer grade that they normally sell in PC World.  More expensive but they last.

Over the last 10 years or so I have had Lenovo Ideapad, Acer Travelmate and more recently a Dell Latitude, My old laptops are all still working for someone else in the family

This weekend I am upgrading my Dell (which is still working fine) with another Dell.

Take a look at Dell Outlet:

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=3&c=uk&cs=ukdfb1&l=en&s=dfb&dgc=IR&cid=296386&lid=5667689

and Laptops Direct:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

• Like 1