• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Seiko Sarb 035 - Would you buy it

Recently ive been surfing t'interweb looking for a Seiko 5 for my friend who has had to put up with a cracked skagen for a year. 

So we both had a look on ebay and noticed some cheap second hand ones as you do however whilst looking I came across this Seiko Sarb035....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-SARB035-Mechanical-Automatic-Dial-Mens-Wrist-Watch-UK-TAX-FREE-/161722978932?hash=item25a770d274:g:elYAAOSw~OdVbYPv

Now I've always liked these and haven't been able to find them and the price is abit of a steal but most probably no UK warranty, is this really worth the risk????

Edited by robvfr400
I cant spell to save my own life!

I had a look at another SARB they had for sale and decided against it. They seem to alternate between "Ireland" and " Hong Kong" -They may well be o.k. but I'd rather pay the extra for a watch from a trusted retailer.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1

To me they are a good enough watch - good size for me, can be dressed up or down with a simple strap switch, and seem to have a reliable enough movement in them.

Personally though I would go for the 033 and a black face, but that is my choice on aesthetics and not to do with your suggested seller.

As for the seller, having two listed outlets, or two locations for where the watch comes from, does not ring true to me. I'd probably seek another seller, or possibly contact eBay or PayPal in advance and seek their advice on where you stood if the watch went south in a few months...?

J

8 hours ago, robvfr400 said:

So, if anyone was in my shoes would they get one from yorkshire watches with the one year warranty but at twice the price or go for the company off ebay for half the price brand new from hong kong/ireland???

Your decision. Based on some of the replies I would now take a chance on the eBay watch, and as said, you should be protected by PayPal, I notice Creation are around + £90, and the likelihood of duty being added as well. Good luck.:thumbsup:

I would go with the ebay watch, heard good reviews about the seller and to be honest I think the watch is a little expensive at anything more than £300

obe thing to note is the bracelet clasp had very little micro adjustment and so a perfect fit may be difficult, lovely watches though and looks very smart on leather and sporty on bracelet

image_12.jpeg

Edited by Montybaber

If you've got PayPal protection you should be covered I think. I've got a SARB035 and I think it's gorgeous, I'm just trying to get the perfect strap for it and it'll get a lot more wear.
6de355a7a51c60b357fd2297ed0c428b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
13 hours ago, robvfr400 said:

Now I've always liked these and haven't been able to find them and the price is a bit of a steal but most probably no UK warranty, is this really worth the risk????

If you say "is this worth the risk?" I think you've probably answered your own question... :whistle: 

Personally I would avoid it, despite others' comments on here - Sorry!  The fact that this seller has 65 negative feedbacks in 12 months would ring alarm bells for me.  Plus I only buy and sell in the UK anyway, so a Hong Kong seller trying to look like it is based in Ireland would also be enough to make me steer clear.  With a healthy budget of £247, there are plenty of decent watches available from UK based sellers, and even high street shops.

Unless your mate definitely wants an automatic, I think this Seiko Solar Titanium would be pretty a good alternative, and is quite a bit cheaper:

http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/seiko/mens-seiko-titanium-solar-powered-watch-sne139p1-sne139p1.html

Looks very similar to me, but would be a lot less hassle to own than the auto version.

I take a different view.   A Seiko gauruntee is rather worthless in my view because you have as much chance of winning the lottery as of a Seiko going wrong.   It is a little disconcerting that the seller has 65 negative feedbacks, but he has had over 61,000 feedbacks so had probably made 100,000+ sales.   Looking through those negative feedbacks only 1 seems to be regarding a watch, most are for slow delivery and one was because import duties were applied after he shipped incorrectly.   With those odd's it Is worth a punt in my opinion if you aren't in a hurry...

• Like 1

ORRRRR!!!! Do I purchase from SeiyaJapan.com???? The price is in the middle of the two other companies (ebay page and yorkshire watches) and ill just have to work in the import tax of 20% of the price! It sill comes out cheaper than yorkshire plus its alot more of a trusted site than the ebay page!

4 hours ago, robvfr400 said:

ORRRRR!!!! Do I purchase from SeiyaJapan.com???? The price is in the middle of the two other companies (ebay page and yorkshire watches) and ill just have to work in the import tax of 20% of the price! It sill comes out cheaper than yorkshire plus its alot more of a trusted site than the ebay page!

Thats where i bought mine, flawless to deal with

orrrrrrrr you could look preowned/WTB, they go for around £200 

• Like 1
So, if anyone was in my shoes would they get one from yorkshire watches with the one year warranty but at twice the price or go for the company off ebay for half the price brand new from hong kong/ireland???

There's a oft-used phrase here, "buy the seller, then the watch."

Buying off eBay can be risky because you have to evaluate who the seller is, where they're located, etc.

If you are worrying and want to play safe, buy from a reputable dealer in your country. Post-sales support can also be a factor should anything be amiss.

Orrrrrrr, you can approach Yorkshire Watches if they're closer to you, tell them you can get the watch much cheaper from this other seller, but you'd like to give them the sale. Can they come reasonably close to matching hte price (accounting for VAT, import duty, other add-on costs)? They might say, Yes, we'd love your business.

• Like 2