• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
reefgeek

Are my watches worth anything or just rubbish?

Not sure how I can contribute as I watch knowledge is none existing but hoping to learn. 

We all start somewhere. Sometimes just saying how beautiful something is, can be participation.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, reefgeek said:

Not sure how I can contribute as I watch knowledge is none existing but hoping to learn. 

Here are a few things I bet you do know about watches - some have metal bracelets whilst others have leather, rubber or material straps. They can come in different shapes and sizes and have mixtures of hands that help tell the time or to act as a stopwatch. Some have to be wound by hand, some wind as you move your wrist, some run on a battery and others are powered by light..

Even with this level of knowledge you are in a position to look at members watches and comment on the look etc even if (like many of us) you can not immediately say that it has the xyz movement developed by Joe Bloggs in 1844. There are also other sections of the forum that discuss non-watch issues so plenty of opportunity to join in.

Yeh. I think my my wife is beautiful, everyone else says she looks like a pot bellied pig 

That's terrible and awesome at the same time.

Mine wants a pet pig. I have to say no about twenty times daily. Lol

Welcome to the forum hopefully. By the way Jay you have not pissed me off yet and I am feeling a bit left out.

Not to self... Hahahaha

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, niveketak said:

Welcome to the forum hopefully. By the way Jay you have not pissed me off yet and I am feeling a bit left out.

I don't think I've been pissed of yet either. @JayDeepyou're not as good as you think ! (rofl)

Edited by Mr Levity

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

I thought she had one!!!.....you....:whistle:

• Like 1

welcome fella follow the rules {as didnt as i hadnt read them } and you will be part of a good community  !

I thought she had one!!!.....you....:whistle:

Hahahaha you got me there my friend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reefgeek said:

Hi everyone

I've just bought a job lot of about 50 watches with brands from sekonda-rolex.

Some look old and some modern. 

don't know anything about watches so wondering if you guys can help value them for me.

I suspect there all fakes and/or worthless but thought id get a second opinion before i give them away. 

Would it be ok to upload some pictures? 

Maybe in sets of 5 showing fronts and backs.? 

Yikes, you got both barrels! Just bare in mind you are the latest in a long line of similar posts that were dealt with in a much more civilised manner, you were just unlucky. Welcome to the forum!

Lets all remember that not everyone is forum savvy and new guests don't know what hornets nest they might be kicking. Let's keep it polite, or ignore if you're not interested in the topic, until the rules get updated.

Approaching a clique of wise old knackers can be daunting. I joined with a question (although not a valuation) and have stuck around because this is a welcoming place to talk watches without judgement, £10k in the bank, or a degree in horology.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TockTick said:

Yeh. I think my my wife is beautiful, everyone else says she looks like a pot bellied pig :laugh:

Any polite person would say she "has a lovely personality" what circles do you travel in ? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Montybaber said:

We need details/pics

please drag this thread back on topic :) 

Where's your sense of sport? The Flashman Society was just having fun beating up another new kid.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Montybaber said:

We need details/pics

please drag this thread back on topic :) 

Sorry :( won't let it happen again.

2015-01-07-Drag_Queen__8.png

• Like 2

…Not sure how I can contribute as I watch knowledge is none existing but hoping to learn. 

Asking a question is contributing. I did a LOT Of that back in the day, particularly about sub-alikes and Rolexes. There was an epic thread I started on "sub homages" that showcased over a dozen good brands of divers. It led eventually to at least three of my watches.

You never know about a huge lot of things. A collector picked up a dusty cardboard box in the back of a Hollywood mememtos shop back in the 70s, it had some cheesy looking props in it. Got the lot for $50 maybe? Took it home, starting going through it, found an original Star Trek hero prop (I think it was one of the hero phaser IIs, or either Alpha or Beta Communicator), just sitting in teh bottom.

Worth over $100,000 most likely. So ... miracles cna happen.

Boy, I'll bet you'd hate it if the roles were reversed, and she said "no" to you twenty times daily. ;) (running and ducking)

I do hope that this will be the final post on this thread, and may I return to the manner in which I approaches dear reefgeek at the start of this thread, which I feel was civilized and in the manner I should act as moderator.

Of course you may put pictures of any watches on the Forum, reefgeek, and in doing so, you may learn a considerable amount. Indeed, it is through discourse such as occurs here on the Forum, as well as personal experience and study, that you will be able to acquire the knowledge of watches that you desire, including the ability to put some sort of financial valuation on your collection. I would suggest that this Forum is a friendly and sociable place where topics other than watches can be talked about, and in the case of some subjects, especially watches, the Forum is lucky enough to have members who are very expert in different areas of watch collecting. 

I would like to take this opportunity once again to welcome you to the Forum, and say that asking for valuations, especially when you are new to the watch Forum UK, is an easy mistake to make, and does not require us to come down on you like ton of bricks. As moderator though, it is my duty to keep an eye on these matters and mention them when necessary.:)

• Like 1

I am very intrigued, and I would enjoy seeing some pics of the haul.

I probably won't be able to contribute much but I do love a good nose at peoples watches :)

what still no pics ? There will be ok and not ok watches, good or not so good.

No evaluation what so ever, please i want to see some

Yes mate, they are fakes, but if you like tinkering - or are interesting in getting into it - you might be able to use the innards to practice on.  They will almost certainly have cheap quartz movements inside, which should keep good time after a battery change, so you could have a go at swapping the movements into slight less tragic cases for a start. This will get you used to removing case backs, removing crowns with their stem attached, and removing hands.  Refitting is simply the reverse of the removal process, as they say in the Haynes Manuals :laugh:

Personally, I like messing around trying to fix up joblots, and I normally end up keeping at least one watch for myself if I can.  My last lot recently ended up finding a few homes on here as well, anything with springs and gear wheels inside is a definite no-go for me :whistle:

Trafalgar on the end is the only thing ok .....is it quartz or mechanical?...nothing special but at least it should be what it says on the dial...