• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What brands challenge Seiko.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Michael Kors, Armani, Hugo Boss, Ice, Guess, Henry.......... Have you looked at what's front and centre in the windows of almost all mid range High St jewellery shops these days. If not you

I think its more because Seiko couldn't care less what we in the west think and are probably more than happy to peddle their low end high street junk to the consumer western customer while they produc

• 1 year later...
On 16/05/2017 at 21:54, Thimo said:

I'm not a Rolex knocker and this is a genuine question: According to which criteria is a Rolex "better" than a top tier Seiko? Seiko as a company has a history of innovation and excellence that compares with Rolex, so is it: Mechanically, fit and finish, or aesthetics? "Fit and finish" seems a bit hard to define to me, and aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder to a large extent, so what am I missing? Not trying to wind anyone up here just wondering if there really is a proper way to quantify these judgements.

I'm not a Rolex knocker either but unfortunately the only time i've spent serious money on a watch, it was a Rolex and it turned out to be complete crap. Back in 1987 my father passed away & left me a little money. As he'd always wanted a GMT Master, I bought one new from a Rolex main agent.  It gained 10 seconds a day from new so I sent it to Rolex HQ in Bromley or Bexley ( can't remember which ) & they returned it and it then gained 6 seconds a day. I sent it straight back asking them to try a bit harder & their reply was that they couldn't get it any better as it was automatic. Silly me - I presumed that the words on the dial " Superlative Chronometer " meant that it would keep time.  Shortly after, the triangular pointer on the end of the red hand fell off, jamming the second hand against the minute hand. Back it went again. After about 18 months, the strap would undo itself if I clenched my fist. At this point I gave up with the poxy thing & got rid of it and replaced it with a cheap plastic Casio that kept better time, kept its hands where they're supposed to be & also stayed on my wrist.  Hardly a glowing report.  Maybe I bought a "bad one."  Thing is, at the ridiculous prices they charge & given all their marketing crap, there shouldn't be any "bad ones. "

On to today & i'm thinking of buying a cheapish Diver & was initially thinking of a Seiko SKX 007 until i've read in various articles & bloggers that the movement is far from the best and that non-Japan made ones quite often have the chapter ring misaligned. I've looked at lots of pics of this model & sure enough, plenty are misaligned. ( This would really do my head in. )  Luckily I came across this forum & its plentiful lovers of Divex ( and Apeks etc ) watches. Not only do they have a superior movement but are an absolute steal for the little money they cost.  The problem i'm having is whether to go for the 200m version or the 500m.  Either way, i'm looking forward to finally making my mind up and pulling the trigger.

On 10/06/2018 at 02:41, Jel999 said:

… until i've read in various articles & bloggers that the movement is far from the best and that non-Japan made ones quite often have the chapter ring misaligned. I've looked at lots of pics of this model & sure enough, plenty are misaligned. ( This would really do my head in. )  

Don’t believe everything you read. I own a 7S26 diver, tough as nails with a perfectly aligned bezel and chapter ring. Others I’ve seen are comparaable. Remember, the satisified customers are usually quiet, it’s the put out ones that complain loudly and frequently online, creatng a false impression. Based on some other reading in the last 24 hrs (WUS, TZUK), I can attest that some WIS are teh whiniest, crybaby tantrum throwers among men. Doesn’t mean a brand is all washed up.