• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Velizark0

Exploring new depths: why dive watches are getting smaller

Well well well, the Telegraph is finally catching up with a trend that some of us have already noticed beginning some time ago.

I am all for watches being available in a number of sizes, and I have always considered that the notion of smaller watches for men  being somehow "effete" utter nonsense. In my opinion, if a big watch looks good then wear one. And if a smaller watch is more appropriate then go with that, and be proud it my man.

:clap:

• Like 8

Superb.  That article fills me with joy.  As a man of *ahem* slight wrist, I was somewhat despairing at all the 42-45+mm models of recent years.  I realise those of more *ahem* meaty appendages may well be a bit miffed, but ... well, I'm alright, Jack :whistle::clap:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

Glad to see that fashion has (again) caught up with me

I think it's more a return to common sense, good taste and pleasing aesthetics than fashion :yes:

• Like 2

I don't mind the size but I do like to feel the weight (heft) of a watch. So smaller and heavier is fine by me. 

Only thet5vj46jc2ecyp2ptmcfo.jpg

Know.:evil9kf:

10 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

I glanced through the article but couldnt' see a paragraph in which the question "why dive watches are getting smaller" was answered. Did I miss it? Did they explain why?

Edited by WRENCH

When you look at that Blancpain it just oozes quality at the original size of 38mm, which really does show that bigger isn't always better.... Why anyone needs some of the bricks on a strap that have been around of late I really don't know, .....  or perhaps we do... :biggrin:

1 minute ago, artistmike said:

When you look at that Blancpain it just oozes quality at the original size of 38mm, which really does show that bigger isn't always better.... Why anyone needs some of the bricks on a strap that have been around of late I really don't know, .....  or perhaps we do... :biggrin:

Perhaps "look at me" rather than "look at the time".

(Only Smarties have the answer) :laughing2dw:

On 18 May 2017 at 20:00, Davey P said:

My worst nightmare.... watches getting smaller..... :scared:

Don't despair Davey, it'll mean the fashionista's will be ditching the big stuff to follow the trend. You could get some bargains  :whistle:

I must admit there was a time when I wouldn't touch anything under 42mm and 44-45mm was my range but nowadays I am finding most joy in 40-41mm watches. Anything below 39mm still looks and feels a little bit dinky though, which is a shame as I otherwise love the look of watches such as the 37mm Seagull 1963 or the 37mm new Rado Captain Cook. 

• Like 2

Funny that the Blancpain 50 fathoms and the Rolex sub were actually designed as divers watches back in the day when divers used watches. More recent larger ones are made in an age when most divers use computers underwater.  Also an interesting thing I recall from 40 years ago is that a lot of divers favoured quartz movements for accuracy and cheapness /ease of replacement in case of water ingress. 

• Like 2

Except that when a battery starts going bad while underway, you're sunk :) because you can't do a battery replacement in the galley….

An automatic simply keeps working as long as you're at sea.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GASHEAD said:

I must admit there was a time when I wouldn't touch anything under 42mm and 44-45mm was my range but nowadays I am finding most joy in 40-41mm watches. Anything below 39mm still looks and feels a little bit dinky though, which is a shame as I otherwise love the look of watches such as the 37mm Seagull 1963 or the 37mm new Rado Captain Cook. 

My thoughts exactly but 40-42mm lol. As if 1mm even matters. But it does though!

Perhaps dive watches are getting smaller as a result of the incredible pressure they are subjected to in the depths of the sea. :yes:

Later,
William