• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Tim F

Opinions on Bremont?

51 minutes ago, Tim F said:

Not well know but seem very good to me. Saw some in the flesh they're impressive. Anyone own one ?

Not well know? It says you joined in 2012 have you used the internet since then?

I don't own one myself, but a colleague at work bought an MB2 orange and let me have a good look. Really nice, well made watch and from what he says customer service was great. I'd like to see a bracelet with it, but the straps are great quality if his was anything to go by. Loved the case engineering and the different colours/anodising. Like the ejector seat pull design on the second hand, but wonder whether the rubber shock protector system is necessary and durable. The inner bezel was smooth and precise to use. A bit pricey for my wallet at the moment but would I have one if I had the funds? Yes.

10 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Not well know? It says you joined in 2012 have you used the internet since then?

10 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

No need to be rude

38 minutes ago, Tim F said:

No need to be rude

It was tongue in cheek especially as they are one of the most popular brands amongst WIS 

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't say they are universally popular amongst watch bores (I refuse to use that WIS nonsense). I am no fan personally but I get why any military type might think they are a good idea, a big discount can be compelling. Don't necessarily expect the aftermarket to put the value on it that Bremont  do though i.e. I see the RRP as a tad optimistic. As Breitling mil owners found, if every squadron has one then they can't all be special. 

Edited by Padders

They use some pretty impressive technology and materials in their construction, and manufacture quality to is exceptional.

Personally, I'm glad to see their latest offerings coming out with "smaller" 40mm cases, and I think some of them are just beautiful.  If they dropped their Brice to £1K I'd definitely consider one... actually, I'd buy one like a shot!

J

I'm a fan and have two. The U2 Blue and Martin Baker III (essentially the same watch as posted by Lampoc above). My other half has a white 37mm Solo.

Build quality is up there with the best. Comparable to watches that many WIS / watch bores (:biggrin:) desire and which will cost more than the average Bremont. But they're not cheap, do not yet have the all important 'watch legacy' being a new company and right from the outset entered the luxury watch market and seemingly very successfully. It's almost a given that they will be the first British manufacturer of the modern era to have a movement essentially manufactured entirely in house in the UK at their planned new 'atelier' at Henley, which was recently given planning permission . For what it's worth, they are the premier mainstream modern brand from the UK.  

I had some issues with a purchase in Bangkok, not with the watch, but with the AD, which was dealt with to my satisfaction by Bremont, from both London and Hong Kong! I keep meaning to start a new thread about that. 

I have also noticed their appearance in the 2nd hand market over here, amongst all the Rolexes and others that attract a premium and agree with Padders, that if not a keeper, you'll probably be looking at a hit of about 35%, but then again, not many seem to enter the re-sale market. They seem particularly popular in the states and certain areas of SE Asia - they have boutiques in New York and Hong Kong, although they no longer have a current AD here, although their watches are still available, until current stock is all sold I guess?

Edited by Caller.

8 hours ago, Prestjoh said:

I have a few, I love them.

Be good to see the pics of your others! :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Prestjoh said:

There you go..

fe59090f-43d1-4afc-a453-037bb5eba9fa_zps

Took me a while to find this! Had to trawl the archive. Two LE's - very impressive, plus an MB - thanks for posting.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, I've just had a look at the Bremont website and the display of their range of watches is now better than ever. Really nice 40mm additions to the supermarine range as well as the new Airco range. 

"Not well know but seem very good to me. Saw some in the flesh they're impressive. Anyone own one ?"

Oh No !!!!

tSnR52d.jpg

Edited by reggie747

Part of my distrust of the brand was their practice of 'doing a Frankin Mint' that is to say, fitting slivers of some supposedly significant historical artefact such as a Spitfire, HMS Victory, Jag D-Type or St George's right index finger finger. I may have exaggerated with the last of those  but nevertheless it didn't square with the practices of a prestige brand to me, particularly when Christopher Ward was going pretty much the same thing. As I mentioned above, Bremont gives serving military personally a big big discount which has helped to give them visible market penetration into a particular group of consumers but I am not persuaded they are worth the asking price at anything near RRP. 

• Like 4

I don't object to them but would give purchasing one absolutely no consideration.  I have no relationship or afinity with the brand, virtually no experience with them and would see a purchase as a liability compared to other choices on more familiar ground.

I still see them as a pseudo brand, founded in 2002 they have no heritage or prestige yet... this takes time IMO and I am a pretty hard guy to win over ^^

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Padders said:

Part of my distrust of the brand was their practice of 'doing a Frankin Mint' that is to say, fitting slivers of some supposedly significant historical artefact such as a Spitfire, HMS Victory, Jag D-Type or St George's right index finger finger. I may have exaggerated with the last of those  but nevertheless it didn't square with the practices of a prestige brand to me, particularly when Christopher Ward was going pretty much the same thing. As I mentioned above, Bremont gives serving military personally a big big discount which has helped to give them visible market penetration into a particular group of consumers but I am not persuaded they are worth the asking price at anything near RRP. 

Their marketing puts me off the brand. I mentioned in another post regarding this watch,

image_show.php?item_id=4762&type=large&vc=c5d1e95d18f1a3b1c6cbfeb894be256c

Is it an attempt to try and create another,

1700269_xxl.jpg?v=1

and before you laugh me off the page, read about the history of the "Comex" watch, and the origins of the users, especially in the North Sea. Is it really too difficult to do something original ?

44 minutes ago, Padders said:

but nevertheless it didn't square with the practices of a prestige brand to me, particularly when Christopher Ward was going pretty much the same thing. 

Well, in fairness, it might not square with you, but it certainly hasn't done them any harm and they are very limited editions in just a few watches. Also I stand to be corrected, but as far as I am aware, CW have only fairly recently started along a similar road. On the CW forum, this was bemoaned as being too alike Bremont.

Edited by Caller.

24 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

and before you laugh me off the page, read about the history of the "Comex" watch, and the origins of the users, especially in the North Sea. Is it really too difficult to do something original ?

I just did that but couldn't see any obvious connection between Rolex Comex and the supermarine? Genuinely interested about this.

But couldn't the same argument be used against Rolex after they bought their divers watch out after Blancpain? 

• Like 1

If I can chip in my two penny worth for consideration.....

Paul Perregaux & George Perret had a patent placed in 1925 for a waterproof crown.

Hans Wildorf (Rolex) quickly recognised this aid & purchased the Swiss rights from the inventors ^^^^. :whistle:

It's also worth noting Omega created a 'dive' watch the 'Marine' in 1932 to circumvent Rolex 'waterproof' patents.  This timepiece successfully underwent some serious testing. :whistle:

Sometimes you have to read between the lines. :biggrin:

• Like 3

The Cartier Pasha was created in 1932 with its waterproof crown so it seems they were all plagurising ideas.  Rolex is famous for taking other peoples ideas and improving on them.  Take the Glachutte sport Evo with its sliding clasp...then suddenly Rolex has sliding clasps.

I wouldn't object too much a good idea is good where ever it came from but either you need to do it better or different if you want to be noticed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Caller. said:

I just did that but couldn't see any obvious connection between Rolex Comex and the supermarine? Genuinely interested about this.

Part of the Comex myth is that they were used by ex Royal Navy clearance divers in the north sea off shore industry. The Bremont pictured is apparently issued only to Royal Navy clearance divers.

"Bremont Supermarine Clearance Diver special edition watch has been made available only for Navy clearance Divers, the watch is only available to currently serving and retired members."

A lot of the value in Comex when they come up for sale is in the provenance, who owned it, where was it used, correspondence etc. A quick search around and you'll find unworn Bremont S500's for sale up to £8000.

Maybe I'm jumping to unfounded conclusions, but if sticking a bit of an old car, or an old aeroplane in a watch in order to get sales, as a marketing strategy, perhaps not.

From my own experience, anything military issued, whether good or bad, sells at a premium, yet serving / retired friends and family used their own watches. (Latterly G Shock's) so call me cynical, but banging out a few limited edition watches solely for a highly elite service is quite a good marketing ploy.

• Like 1