• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Do you find G Shocks too big.

I was surprised that my latest g shock is relatively small.  Size is not a problem other than getting in the way of sleeves. :)

If you've been put off by size this is about 42 mm and relatively thin.

34692628423_f02ecae54b_b.jpg

im enjoying it.

Available at Argos and Amazon 20 quid cheaper than most other online stores.

Cheers

Edited by RWP

Its still big enough in my opinion.  These are watches with a functional use, if I were rock climbing or hiking through the amazon I would snap one up but the interference with the sleeves isn't for me.

On a side note when I looked at this it seemed to have something missing... from the case design it looks like it was designed to take this cage with rubber bumpers on it and when I looked on a google image search I see virtually none of the G-Shocks have this anymore.   In the early days I am sure this was really a common feature of the watch (one that seems designed to protect the glass but looks like more of a hindrance than a help)   I just wondered does anyone have G-shocks with this, and does anyone have G-shocks where they have removed this?   IF this photo I borrowed from a google search (used purely for educational purposes under fair use) is an early example I think we see that even what you describe as a more modestly sized one is bigger than they originally were.

IMG_4892.jpg

15 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Its still big enough in my opinion.  These are watches with a functional use, if I were rock climbing or hiking through the amazon I would snap one up but the interference with the sleeves isn't for me.

On a side note when I looked at this it seemed to have something missing... from the case design it looks like it was designed to take this cage with rubber bumpers on it and when I looked on a google image search I see virtually none of the G-Shocks have this anymore.   In the early days I am sure this was really a common feature of the watch (one that seems designed to protect the glass but looks like more of a hindrance than a help)   I just wondered does anyone have G-shocks with this, and does anyone have G-shocks where they have removed this?   IF this photo I borrowed from a google search (used purely for educational purposes under fair use) is an early example I think we see that even what you describe as a more modestly sized one is bigger than they originally were.

IMG_4892.jpg

The protective bars can be bought aftermarket.   They don't seem to come as standard anymore :)

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RWP said:

I was surprised that my latest g shock is relatively small.  Size is not a problem other than getting in the way of sleeves. :)

If you've been put off by size this is about 42 mm and relatively thin.

42mm?  I think you've got the ladies' model there mate :laughing2dw:

G-Shocks are fine, none of mine were too big, but I did have a Casio Protrek a while ago that was bleedin' ma-hoo-sive, even by my standards... :tongue:

My gshock glide came with the bars but no big rubber bumper bits. Given its been worn through some very extreme conditions  over about 15yr it's faired pretty well. Not too big either and tough as old boots. Now I'm a desk jockey it gets worn for gardening or decorating duties. Sort of semi retired:thumbsup:

large.DSCN0178.JPG.fc58d5ce72a2ed7ca9383ccc4b2cf4b0.JPG

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

On a side note when I looked at this it seemed to have something missing... from the case design it looks like it was designed to take this cage with rubber bumpers on it and when I looked on a google image search I see virtually none of the G-Shocks have this anymore. 

There's a simple explanation for that mate.  The bars look crap, and most people take them off :laughing2dw:

On the subject of size comparisons, here's the Protrek I mentioned previously, next to the equally gigantic Fossil Nate:

2013-04-02153838_zpsb40679ae.jpg

Both watches were just about at the limit of what I find wearable, size-wise, but I've since moved them on to pastures new :biggrin:

• Like 2

G shocks are the anomaly with me. I have squirrel wrists yet the G Shocks I have don't seem too big. I've even tried on my daughter's huge purple job and it didn't seem too big for me.

22028354381_d9eea41fca.jpg

The biggest one I own (I have 3, youngest daughter also has 3) is my Mudman and it's very comfortable. I only ever wear them for work or gardening. Can't stand the bars and wouldn't buy one with them.

32703920444_502c8e3f64.jpg

I quite fancy one of these, but I believe it's 55mm, which is probably far too big for me.

31013443772_33261ef3e1.jpg

• Like 1

My GShock is the only one in my collection over 40mm that also gets regular wrist wear.

However, "regular" does not always mean "frequent". It is too big for every day wear, and it's aesthetics don't suit my every day lifestyle either.  But t does get at least one outing a week when I'm on my bike, and more regular use whenever I go off camping or chasing Duke of Edinburgh kiddies over the countryside.

Horses for courses, watches for wrists...

J

Edited by JimboJames1972
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1