Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

Well kudos for one point: at least you're trying to be honest about the cost of the watch and its retail price to customers. There's a WUS thread about a startup called Deviate that priced the watch at an absurdly low price for patrons, running into all kinds of stupid New Watchmaker issues, and it's now unclear if patrons will get a watch at all, let alone a working watch, let alone a working watch that matches what the startup proposed. I understand it costs at LEAST US$250-350 per unit to start a limited manufacture of custom designs. 

In several posts, you seem to presuming that we are favoring "the well known big watch makers" over humble, upstart You. Boy are you full of s***. Members here are known for buying some really obscure brands, and your host owned a shop and produced limited runs of very personalized watches which are cherished by members. This is not a matter of "David versus Goliath" but companies with reputation, track record, credibility, and someone who is unknown and untested. You want some feedback? Send me one of your watches. I'll wear it for a month. I'll post pics. I'll tell you and other WIS about the experience. Do the same for 5-10 other members. THEN you'll get useful feedback. 

You'd better put on your big boy pants and be willing to go above and beyond your comfort zone to earn WIS respect and consideration for your watch concern, ESPECIALLY when you price it well into the high end of established brands. You say you'll lose money at €917? Ouch. I'm wearing a US microbrands limited edition forum special project right now — cost to plank owners US$700, cost to me US$900 plus fee for extra regulation, cost to other sodbusters buying on the secondary market, $1800-2200. The maker got a wee bit of profit (if anything) from those watches, but has reaped worldwide attention and appreciation, including from the timepiece press. Someone's comment about finding more economical manufacturing, take that to heart. I don't encounter many WIS types who are willing to throw away €2000 or the equivalent on an untested watch from a new unknown maker. 

Now, about your design.  Meh. Looks like the Jazzmaster on the sales corner right now. I'm sure I've seen Tissots, Hamiltons, Orises, etc, with very similar look. I'm sure you're proud of your design. But it's derivative. It's conventional. I've seen it before. And Mach's right about those lugs, I'm not sure if I like their elegance, or I'm concerned about the huge space above the strap. I'd have to wear it. 

Bravo for registering on the forum and soliciting some honest feedback. But I'd put that hubris that's leaking from between your words into a jar in the cupboard and leave it there until you're an established concern with employees, offices, steady orders and fulfillment. Until then, your claim that we either appreciate your watch's lovely design, or just can't see it, is ephemeral flatulence to my ears. 

P.S. Apologies to anyone who just sprayed their port or Earl Grey over their computer's monitor. 

Edited by Chromejob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2017 at 08:30, ArloMoun said:

 That's OK just  give it time it will grow on you.  If not, don't worry there are more to come. 

Ohh no it won`t & no offence but I won`t be holding my breath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2-7-2017 at 14:57, richy176 said:

CW do a very similar looking watch - the CW C9-5 that retails for £1375 but is currently on sale for £687.50.On their website, CW state that they set their selling price at 3 times the cost price and on that basis the C9-5 would cost just under £460. This compares to your figure of £797 which you say allows almost no profit.

The CW has an in-house movement that is COSC certified and they offer a 5 year warranty compared to your 2 years and they also offer a 60 day return for full refund - not sure what you offer.

What makes you consider that your watch would be a better buy that the CW?

Again you guys are comparing a micro band with known brand with a history and customer base. We're trying to achieve a customer base and trying to be something. Well the brand you just mentioned probably has a bigger budget, comparing to our brand as where we have to pay everything out of our own pockets. I don't know if CW designs their own cases or have standard production moulds for this? But in our case its made from scratch and new moulds needed to be made for this, that can also determine the cost price. So it is possible that the case is a standard catalog production and the only thing you're paying for is the design and movement (actually stating that it's an in-house movement, just seems to mean that they took a well-known movement and adjusted it, or am I mistaken?). We also had the option to go for the COSC but the price for this was to high because we needed to be registered in Switzerland and that was a no go anymore. Good constructive watches last longer than the warranties our first intention was to actually to give a life time warranty, but the problem is we don't have that budget yet. 

Where just starting out here, trying to make a mark and we understand that you rather go with another brand that you know of, but watch brands started somewhere and eventually they did get the trust and we try to do exactly the same. We are just a different watch brand with different takes on how to produce quality watches and not only in the movement but in every single part. 

22 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

Ohh no it won`t & no offence but I won`t be holding my breath.

Never say never ;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3-7-2017 at 00:26, Chromejob said:

Well kudos for one point: at least you're trying to be honest about the cost of the watch and its retail price to customers. There's a WUS thread about a startup called Deviate that priced the watch at an absurdly low price for patrons, running into all kinds of stupid New Watchmaker issues, and it's now unclear if patrons will get a watch at all, let alone a working watch, let alone a working watch that matches what the startup proposed. I understand it costs at LEAST US$250-350 per unit to start a limited manufacture of custom designs. 

In several posts, you seem to presuming that we are favoring "the well known big watch makers" over humble, upstart You. Boy are you full of s***. Members here are known for buying some really obscure brands, and your host owned a shop and produced limited runs of very personalized watches which are cherished by members. This is not a matter of "David versus Goliath" but companies with reputation, track record, credibility, and someone who is unknown and untested. You want some feedback? Send me one of your watches. I'll wear it for a month. I'll post pics. I'll tell you and other WIS about the experience. Do the same for 5-10 other members. THEN you'll get useful feedback. 

You'd better put on your big boy pants and be willing to go above and beyond your comfort zone to earn WIS respect and consideration for your watch concern, ESPECIALLY when you price it well into the high end of established brands. You say you'll lose money at €917? Ouch. I'm wearing a US microbrands limited edition forum special project right now — cost to plank owners US$700, cost to me US$900 plus fee for extra regulation, cost to other sodbusters buying on the secondary market, $1800-2200. The maker got a wee bit of profit (if anything) from those watches, but has reaped worldwide attention and appreciation, including from the timepiece press. Someone's comment about finding more economical manufacturing, take that to heart. I don't encounter many WIS types who are willing to throw away €2000 or the equivalent on an untested watch from a new unknown maker. 

Now, about your design.  Meh. Looks like the Jazzmaster on the sales corner right now. I'm sure I've seen Tissots, Hamiltons, Orises, etc, with very similar look. I'm sure you're proud of your design. But it's derivative. It's conventional. I've seen it before. And Mach's right about those lugs, I'm not sure if I like their elegance, or I'm concerned about the huge space above the strap. I'd have to wear it. 

Bravo for registering on the forum and soliciting some honest feedback. But I'd put that hubris that's leaking from between your words into a jar in the cupboard and leave it there until you're an established concern with employees, offices, steady orders and fulfillment. Until then, your claim that we either appreciate your watch's lovely design, or just can't see it, is ephemeral flatulence to my ears. 

P.S. Apologies to anyone who just sprayed their port or Earl Grey over their computer's monitor. 

Well at least we got one point right :) What we meant to say was comparison is always been done with watch brands that have a customer base and have a higher budget. We're just starting out we're creating and trying to achieve the best way possible.

We would love honest reviews on our watches especially, by watchmakers. The problem is each sample cost us $1000 dollars to make and for us this is not a option. The reason why is because It's made from scratch (Literally a scratch). So costs are higher, Also because the cases are hand finished, but to get the best cost out of this we need to mass produce, but we can't mass-produce because we don't have the money for it and even if we wanted to make five or 10 this would be too much money (So if you have a big boy pants with deep pockets, we would love to have you as a investor). We did find watchmakers In the area of Amsterdam to actually review our watches but this will take time.

Well I do appreciate your honesty about our watch and trust that this watch is not your taste..at all. Everyone has his own perspective on what it is and what is not. We're just Have our opinion and we just listened to yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand what you are saying and it may cost $1000 or euros to produce one sample but that does not mean the watch is worth that to a purchaser. The sample price is not a true reflection of the final selling price, that would come from the mass produced cost and reputation, desirability, history, quality etc. Therefore you can't say the RRP is $2000 because it cost $1000 to make one.

The tooling, R&D, machine and design costs can't be applied to one watch, if that was the case with every other product then everything would be extremely overpriced, even a pencil!

You need to come back when you have the money to mass produce, send samples and apply a realistic price to your watch. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So… you're applying the entire R&D costs for samples to every watch you sell??? That's a hell of a profit margin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably worth introducing at this stage, the story of Deaumars very successful kickstarter watch and why they then walked away from the business. I'm sure a few members here have this watch? I was close to buying it myself.

Also worth noting the cost attached to getting a plug in the popular on-line review sites!

http://www.watchthoughts.com/2016/12/29/i-come-to-bury-deaumar-not-to-praise-it/?utm_source=Deaumar+Watches+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d4c32d2955-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_12_30&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bced4e9265-d4c32d2955-145388530&mc_cid=d4c32d2955&mc_eid=8ad0e4a63b

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should really look into changing your business model because I don't think you will succeed if your watch is priced as is. 

Unless you plan on competing on cost, as many microbrands do, you should try and create more of a USP for your product. As others have mentioned, your design is rather conventional so it would be difficult for you to compete with other microbrands who offer watches at the fraction of the cost. Even with the higher end Soprod movement factored in, your watches are priced exceptionally high for a microbrand.  Steinhart, for example, used to offer Soprod equipped watches at £600-800 (roughly $800 - 1000).  

At $2000, you are at a pricepoint where you are competing with an endless list well known, big name brands, such as TAG, Longines, ORIS etc. Newer brands that have managed to penetrate that price point successfully have done so by offering functions and features, such as in house movements and complex complications or unique case materials, not available from dominant brands in the same cost bracket. These generally cost the brands millions of dollars in investment, so this may not be an option for your brand. 

I highly recommend looking into the supply chains / business models of other micro brands who have been able to successfully undercut well establish brands whilst offering similar specifications to your product. Because you aren't going to be able to compete at all if your production costs is twice the retail price of competitors offerings. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DarthSmavid said:

WAY to expensive, more market research next time 

and the horribe lugs , and that crown , and the date window , the straps choice and yeah that PRICE :nono:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17-8-2017 at 01:35, DarthSmavid said:

WAY to expensive, more market research next time 

We did do the research, and we are making cheaper watchers, but we just started with the expensive one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ArloMoun said:

We did do the research, and we are making cheaper watchers, but we just started with the expensive one.

Cheaper or less expensive..  Careful with wording there mate.  Any pictures of the more affordable ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17-8-2017 at 01:51, Rotundus said:

and the horribe lugs , and that crown , and the date window , the straps choice and yeah that PRICE :nono:

...Would appreciated if you could also explain why, instead of just saying it's ugly...I posted this to actually get some feedback.

3 minutes ago, Biker said:

Cheaper or less expensive..  Careful with wording there mate.  Any pictures of the more affordable ones?

haha, You're right I meant to say less expensive. No real pictures, only 2D designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ArloMoun said:

...Would appreciated if you could also explain why, instead of just saying it's ugly...I posted this to actually get some feedback.

you wanted feed back i gave it - it was negative , thats the way it goes sometimes.

but ok ... the lugs are horrible because they are horrible , its subjective i know but they lack form and look like a bit of protruding metal had just been sort of bent around to do the job ... the CW pictured earlier has much better imho looking lugs.

the crown is too slim , again does not look like a nice feature and i am guessing not be the easiest to manipulate (also bunched up against the lug like that , no!)

the contrasting date window just looks nasty, and its poor positioning really does it no favours. either do it well or not at all.

possibly some people will like the strap - i don't - black leather doesn't really do it for me - something just a touch more original would be better perhaps

and finally the price - given what you are competing against i think your price point an epic fail.

 

Edited by Rotundus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

you wanted feed back i gave it - it was negative , thats the way it goes sometimes.

but ok ... the lugs are horrible because they are horrible , its subjective i know but they lack form and look like a bit of protruding metal had just been sort of bent around to do the job ... the CW pictured earlier has much better imho looking lugs.

the crown is too slim , again does not look like a nice feature and i am guessing not be the easiest to manipulate

the contrasting date window just looks nasty, and its poor positioning really does it no favours. either do it well or not at all.

possibly some people will like the strap - i don't - black leather doesn't really do it for me - something just a touch more original would be better perhaps

and finally the price - given what you are competing against i think your price point an epic fail.

 

It's more of a negative comment, But I do appreciate the additional feedback. I will take them into consideration and maybe in the near future you will find one of our watches to your liking. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone design an emoticon for "fartin' in the wind" please to allow me to comment further?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it's just another watch nothing stands out that would make me part with over 2000 euros i know it is hard to get going from the start my friend is currently going through the same process although at the moment to keep costs down he has had to look at the far east to obtain cases and dials to his design   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...