Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Just Interested


RWP
 Share

Recommended Posts

Why is that people come on here asking the value of a watch, apart from the fact valuations aren't ( usually) given why do they imagine anyone would know beyond cheap, you'll get a bit, nice watch.

I suspect some of them are like the people on the antiques road show, they know before even asking the expert, having had it valued half a dozen times before :bash:

Do you know to within a few quid what your Watches are worth?

I havent a clue other than " a fair bit less than I paid." :)

How do you rate yourself at valuation on the hoof?

Personally if I were me I wouldn't ask someone like myself :whistle:

Just a thought......

Cheers

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RWP said:

Why is that people come on here asking the value of a watch, apart from the fact valuations aren't ( usually) given why do they imagine anyone would know beyond cheap, you'll get a bit, nice watch.

I suspect some of them are like the people on the antiques road show, they know before even asking the expert, having had it valued half a dozen times before :bash:

Do you know to within a few quid what your Watches are worth?

I havent a clue other than " a fair bit less than I paid." :)

How do you rate yourself at valuation on the hoof?

Personally if I were me I wouldn't ask someone like myself :whistle:

Just a thought......

Cheers

Usually I can get the price range about right if someone asks me what a watch is worth- somewhere between £1 - £10,000, it at least narrows it down for them :bash: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RWP said:

 

Do you know to within a few quid what your Watches are worth?

 

I don't really know Rog to be honest, but this guy comes highly recommended by people in the trade. His third valuation on this presentation regards a timepiece. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know what I know...

So my own watches I have a very good idea...

I have a very good feel for how desirable or not watches are generally...

I have not kept up to date with the market and I know a little knowledge can be dangerous so I don't trust myself completely.

I also know what I am clueless about...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with JonnyOldBoy, there are a lot of people who have asked for valuations and their post counts are pretty low and then they don't post again. I think they just want an idea from someone they think is in the know. It is, imho, a little rude. I myself have inherited a few old watches going back to the 50s at least, I realise that they probably aren't worth the cost of a service but I appreciate them as vintage pieces and feel it's a shame they aren't worth more.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see why Roy should go to the trouble of maintaining this website just for people to pop on here ask for a quote hopefully make a few quid and then never contribute again, but clog up his system with these one line 'whats it worth' posts

But that's just me :laugh: 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Just not sure what is to be gained by the holier-than-thou attitude

Well as anybody who reads my posts on here would know I know diddly squat about watches, except whether I like it or not :laugh:  - I will stick with my apparently 'holier - than-thou' attitude :thumbsup: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

 I often go to my local garage and ask for a ball-park for a job.... its not the same as getting a signature or a quote.

Just as a matter of interest. If you went into your local garage and asked for a ball-park figure for changing a timing belt, and for arguments sake they say £200. You give them the car and instruct then to get on with the job, but when you go to pick it up, they explain the idler pulley and bearing had to be replaced, the water pump seal was showing signs of leakage so it had to be replaced, and four of the timing belt cover retaining bolts had sheared because they were so badly corroded they wouldn't come out resulting in two hours extra labour and four helicoils having to be fitted, and presented you with a bill for over £800. How would you react. This happens in the motor trade daily. Fact. I could take you on a guided tour of "lots" with cars tucked away behind garages as a result of customers who have refused to pay for this very reason.

If I take a watch for a valuation (which I've only done once) apart from all the usual, cosmetic checks, has it been nicked checks,etc, the watch is put on a timegrapher to see what its behavior is like, which is of as much importance, to me anyway, as the other checks and is part of the package of a valuation. This cannot be done by looking at a few, often grainy, photographs on a computer screen. Go and have a look round the various forums regarding posts "is this a fake" and after many pages of oohing and aahing, don't come to a conclusion. There was a "one hit" valuation post on here recently, that the watch concerned, if I'd been gifted it, would have gone in the bin, but it could have been identical to the first watch you ever owned, and lost. You get all bleary eyed with nostalgia and before you know, its worth £200. How do you account for this? Rolex, Omega, and all the usual culprits are fairly straight forward to value, that's why you hardly ever get anyone asking about a valuation. Most of the stuff asked about is junk, and because someone has "found it in a loft" and its old, then it must be valuable, and like many, will keep on asking everywhere possible, in the hope that they hear what they want to.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RWP said:

Mels account of a forum being sued by an American woman over a valuation demonstrates ably why they should not encouraged. IMHO 

The best guide as pointed out many a time are eBay completed sales. Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.:yes:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, there are two or three kinds of "pop in, 'allo, got a question" posts. The "please tell me what this is" are fun. Enthusiasts and aficionados can chime in, there's detective work, it can open up discussions of history. 

The second, "is this bona fide, or a fake," are interesting, those familiar with the brand can educate on the visible tells that suggest the watch is authentic or counterfeit. Fun to debate and speculate for the forum as well as, perhaps, the visitor. 

The third, "what's it worth," is the hardest to give responsible advice. Is anyone here accredited to give valuation advice? Is anyone here willing to do it based on crap photographs, and not handling the watch? Visitors may not realize it when they register and post, but people need to learn that strangers on the Internet are not accountable for the advice they give. I think the responsible thing to do is urge the visitor to take the watch to a jeweler or appraiser to examine the watch and give a report. We give this advice so many times, it gets tiresome. Is it rude to bluntly state that for the umpteenth time? Sure. Is it playing "king of the castle?" I don't think so. 

 

Do I know the worth of my watches? Some of them. WatchRecon is a handy way to how much people are asking for your model. Completed sales on sales sites helps. But that's what the market bears, or what a determined buyer is willing to pay. A proper appraiser is the more responsible avenue. Members who think we're being rude can volunteer to respond to these first posts from visitor, or suggest a new tactic. 

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came here in 2010 looking for information on my third generation Omega, I got it with open arms. I was not interested in its value, and if I was it would be for insurance purposes only. 

Op posting asking for what's it worth or a ball park value, or a valuation, anyway you want to word it, especially first time posters rarely post again and BTW usually don't even say please! Now there is always exceptions to that rule. 

So when Graham said Valuations are not given, check sold eBay listing's he was given the poster good advice. 

Unless @JonnyOldBoy you are a watch dealer then maybe you are qualified to give advice?

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, martinzx said:

I came here in 2010 looking for information on my third generation Omega, I got it with open arms. I was not interested in its value, and if I was it would be for insurance purposes only. 

Op posting asking for what's it worth or a ball park value, or a valuation, anyway you want to word it, especially first time posters rarely post again and BTW usually don't even say please! Now there is always exceptions to that rule. 

So when Graham said Valuations are not given, check sold eBay listing's he was given the poster good advice. 

Unless @JonnyOldBoy you are a watch dealer then maybe you are qualified to give advice?

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

/\ This.

Most of us started in this way searching for information. I agree that it is the norm across a few forum to state check Ebay completed listings. Not to be cynical which is hard for me lol. but it can  also be  a way to circumvent forum rules etc with a stealth sales post.

Forum rules state we agree to indemnify the forum with a view to any proceedings that may arise from anything we post. I for one don't have PI insurance and no professional standing in the field of watch valuation.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, martinzx said:

 

Unless @JonnyOldBoy you are a watch dealer then maybe you are qualified to give advice?

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

You know Martin some of the best ideas are hatched in discussions of this kind. This could be a welcome addition to the forum. The JonnyOldBoy Valuation Section. Good idea.:yes:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I think its just a case of case of perhaps some people unable to think laterally... If someone asks me : "Any Idea what this is worth?" , I am perfectly capable of either saying : A. "sorry not a clue" or B. "those usually fetch between £x and £y in my experience depending on many factors , you need to do blah blah blah to get a closer idea".

Maybe I am just more inclined to be helpful..... a sort of modern day Jesus !? :notworthy:

anyway , I am off to the shops to buy a basket , some bread and some fish.....

How much is "bread and fish" worth then? :biggrin:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

are we talking financial worth , or moral worth ? I intend to feed about 5000 from my basket and not charge so no real asset worth to speak of , just spiritual satisfaction....:biggrin:

Moral worth. I hope you will feed the women as well, unlike big"J". :yes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

 

Maybe I am just more inclined to be helpful..... a sort of modern day Jesus !? :notworthy:

 

Everyone here is helpful in their individual way. Some don't suffer fools, and yes, when I read some of your posts "Jesus" does enter my thoughts.:yes:

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I think its just a case of case of perhaps some people unable to think laterally...

Maybe I am just more inclined to be helpful..... 

They have searched the Internet to find a watch forum, registered online and posted a question... Not lateral enough? 

Another point @futuristfan made some do it to try sell a watch, without contributing to the forum. Many times mods have had to delete email addresses from such posts. 

Most members are very helpful, but just more cautious. I do agree we should not jump to conclusions and that every poster asking for a valuation  has the same intentions. 

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

No I mean't people here not thinking laterally.... i.e. putting themselves in the shoes of the person asking for advice.....

Fair enough...

Some are genuinely looking for advice, most are just interested how much can they sell it for, without a please or thank-you...
It is easy enough to discern, either from the post or by asking a question or two.

Cheers Martin 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

No I mean't people here not thinking laterally.... i.e. putting themselves in the shoes of the person asking for advice.....

You mean not politely introducing themselves, no mention of please or thank you, and very rarely a second post.

Today's example.

"Can somebody tell me something about this.Age 

Keep or sell, worth? "

Putting myself in the shoes of the person asking for advice, after introducing myself, my approach would have been along the lines of;

Hello all, I've recently come into possession of this watch which I know absolutely nothing about. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help me with some information about it. Thank you.

I think this could go under the heading of "general politeness", (or is this something else that has been slowly eroded from society?) And wouldn't have drawn the usual flack.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

You mean not politely introducing themselves, no mention of please or thank you, and very rarely a second post.

Today's example.

"Can somebody tell me something about this.Age 

Keep or sell, worth? "

Putting myself in the shoes of the person asking for advice, after introducing myself, my approach would have been along the lines of;

Hello all, I've recently come into possession of this watch which I know absolutely nothing about. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help me with some information about it. Thank you.

I think this could go under the heading of "general politeness", (or is this something else that has been slowly eroded from society?) And wouldn't have drawn the usual flack.

A requests for information is usually handled politely, sometimes enthusiastically, as long as " what's it worth " is not appended. :)

Edited by RWP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...