• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
chas g

Franck muller

My fm conquistador is stamped 0.75 with scales on the back and also the portrait of a st Bernard dog. Does anyone know if a jeweller could test it to see if the case is 18ct white gold without damaging it?  

Second question - when I move the watch to wind it, it sounds almost like a rattle unlike my explorer 2, gmt2 and cartier roadster which are very quiet. Are fm watches normally noisy when winding?

11 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Pictures would help, never had one but looked at a few over the years and never seen one with a dog engraved on the back.

Have a look on chrono24 there are a few white gold ones for sale there.

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/franckmuller/conquistador-750000-wg-king-ref-800--id5737681.htm

Thanks. The symbol of tge St bernard Is a swiss Hallmark

Learn something every day.

I was thinking more of an engraving of a dog rather than a small hallmark stamp.

Probably why I've never seen one.

:laugh: :laugh:

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

Learn something every day.

I was thinking more of an engraving of a dog rather than a small hallmark stamp.

Probably why I've never seen one.

:laugh: :laugh:

I had to use a microscope to see what It was

Jewellers test gold cases by lightly scratching a discrete area with a needle/file suited to the task (inside of the case back usually). You have acid and chemical tests which don't cause any damage but these cannot distinguish plated from solid metals. I don't think having a discrete test mark inside the case will lower value. Every gold watch I have owned has had such marks on the inside of the case back. But my experiences comes from vintage watches (which good jewellers will always test) and it may be different for modern watches. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jeremy Fisher said:

Jewellers test gold cases by lightly scratching a discrete area with a needle/file suited to the task (inside of the case back usually). You have acid and chemical tests which don't cause any damage but these cannot distinguish plated from solid metals. I don't think having a discrete test mark inside the case will lower value. Every gold watch I have owned has had such marks on the inside of the case back. But my experiences comes from vintage watches (which good jewellers will always test) and it may be different for modern watches. 

The acid test is a bit Cash Converter.

Any reputable trader will most likely use something like this these days. 

https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/handheld-xrf-spectrometers

Just don't try taking one on a plane to the Middle East though.

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Thanks 1