• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Evant Watches - mean anything to anybody?

Caller.

nsHmqozC6_BAlnfaI7UMOR4ahzNwOQYqA1A5bzA5

I'd never heard of this brand until I became aware of them via Saggio watches in Bangkok. They have a new watch coming out - their third - and Worldwide distribution is via Gnomon watches in Singapore and I guess as a spin off Tony will get some to sell.

So I had a look. It looks okay, Swiss ETA movement plus all the usual features you now expect on a diver and it looks fine to my eyes. Details here:

https://www.evantwatches.com/collections/frontpage/products/tropic-diver-fume-blue

But what really bugs me about such companies is the information they don't give. I include in that list, Dan Henry, who we are told is an avid watch collector that started his own watch company, AVI-8, who are as British as their far eastern origins and the Heroic 18 / Grappo Gumma / Ancon brands and probably a few other similar 'brands' (bronze / panerai based homage / other homage) who are clearly part of some sort of collective.

And so it is with Evant. We are told they are a group of watch enthusiasts from various professional fields who in 2015 started their own watch company to shake everyone in the industry up (where have I heard that before :huh:), but from where - Mars? No names are given, no Countries are listed as being where they hail from and there isn't even a contact address on their website (unless I have missed it?). 

Are such companies for real, or are they really part of a much larger company with a new angle(?) on selling watches?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This line telling you about their passionate new approach setting the world of horology to rights always seems so stinky I do a Debra Meaden "I don't like your pitch so I'm out!"

Also if a brand has to tell me about themselves I'm not interested.  Its when everyone else wants to tell me how good they are I notice.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GASHEAD said:

$499 offer on Gnomon... over 200 already sold... :thumbsup: 

But doesn't it bother you that you haven't got a clue who you are buying from? You don't even know where the company is based.

I just tried to find out - zilch, but this thread is one of the top searches on google.

I tell you, someone needs to investigate all these new start up companies to see who is behind them all, as there is clearly common marketing and other patterns, Okay with AVI-8, they have a registered address in the UK - a small watch repairers on an industrial estate T'up north, if I remember correctly. But when I looked at them in Thailand and all the bumph that came with the watch, I couldn't find anything about the company or where the watch was made. What I hated most was the clear inference given out to unsuspecting punters that they were buying heritage from the UK and that's where the watches hail from, which is misleading to an extreme. 

Edited by Caller.

15 minutes ago, Caller. said:

But doesn't it bother you that you haven't got a clue who you are buying from? You don't even know where the company is based.

I just tried to find out - zilch, but this thread is one of the top searches on google.

I tell you, someone needs to investigate all these new start up companies to see who is behind them all, as there is clearly common marketing and other patterns, Okay with AVI-8, they have a registered address in the UK - a small watch repairers on an industrial estate T'up north, if I remember correctly. But when I looked at them in Thailand and all the bumph that came with the watch, I couldn't find anything about the company or where the watch was made. What I hated most was the clear inference given out to unsuspecting punters that they were buying heritage from the UK and that's where the watches hail from, which is misleading to an extreme. 

Hmmm, I see what you're saying but I'm buying a watch with decent specs from a trusted retailer (Gnomon) whom I've bought from in the past (Steinhart and Squale). 

I haven't got the time or inclination to research whether Ernst Stavro Blofeld is behind all this, but if there is a common organisation behind all these start-ups then surely that suggests more experience/reliability than if they were a standalone, so less worries? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GASHEAD said:

Hmmm, I see what you're saying but I'm buying a watch with decent specs from a trusted retailer (Gnomon) whom I've bought from in the past (Steinhart and Squale). 

I haven't got the time or inclination to research whether Ernst Stavro Blofeld is behind all this, but if there is a common organisation behind all these start-ups then surely that suggests more experience/reliability than if they were a standalone, so less worries? 

I agree about Gnonom, which is where Saggio watches in Thailand get their Damaskos from. And I take your point about the common organisation, however, if there is one, why not be up front about it? I also agree about the decent spec, which I mentioned in my OP.

However, the irony is that despite all the spiel on their website about shaking up the industry and so on, it appears they are actually selling little more than a homage, which for me, means all the promotional crap about the brand is just some PR companies hype and makes me even less inclined to believe the bit about a group of watch enthusiasts. Maybe its gnomon?

I must admit that I don't generally read all the PR crap and I don't think I necessarily care who is behind the brand; I don't really know who is behind the likes of IWC, Breitling etc - but it's generally a big conglomerate moneymaking machine such as LVMH rather than a bunch of watch enthusiasts.

I'm just judging the watch on its own merits. Perhaps it is just a homage to the 1960s Breguet, but arguably all watches are homages of one sort or another.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2017 at 20:34, GASHEAD said:

Gnomon sold 130 out of the 300 available in the first 24 hours so pays not to hang about! 

The first editions of 150 vintage and 150 modern in black sold out pretty quickly too.

Why would we take these numbers at face value?

DOMAIN INFORMATION
Domain: evantwatches.com

REGISTRANT CONTACT

Name: Gnomon Watches
Organization:Gnomon Watches Pte Ltd

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alansmithee said:

Why would we take these numbers at face value?

DOMAIN INFORMATION
Domain: evantwatches.com

REGISTRANT CONTACT

Name: Gnomon Watches
Organization:Gnomon Watches Pte Ltd

Ignore that - someone odd happened where for really freak reason it mixed two results in a freak way.

10 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

I don't really know who is behind the likes of IWC, Breitling etc - but it's generally a big conglomerate moneymaking machine such as LVMH rather than a bunch of watch enthusiasts.

But you do know as it's all out there. 

Anyway, the company behind the website, that's behind the website, appears to be Gnomon.

https://who.is/whois/evantwatches.com

Happy to be corrected. I used to have a team of 4 doing this sort of work, so not my area of expertise!

And just to get back to my main point, for me personally, the big issue is why these good folk don't want to be identified and as a consequence, am I comfortable buying a watch from them? This all came to a head for me, when I was looking into the Ancon I bought. I just like to deal with companies who are open and straightforward about who and where they are i.e. names, background and where they can be contacted in case there are problems, especially when taking into consideration the cost of their watches.

We also now know that all the guff on their website about the design is complete bull.

But good luck with yours and I hope you enjoy it.

Edited by Caller.

I actually like the design of the watch. It's pitched in amongst Steinhart and other homage suppliers, and at a similar price. I will be interested in your appraisal @GASHEAD once it arrives, and what the total cost is, duty etc. What I don't like is the "post truth bullsh!t" advertising, but then may be that's an age thing. :laughing2dw:

• 1 year later...

I really liked the Codek Spiral which, to the best of my knowledge, is an original design unless @WRENCH proves me wrong :biggrin:

There's no BS on the web site about trying to re-invent the watch industry and they're not shy about telling you that it was made by Cattin.

12 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Retro sells, especially if you make it bigger.

It doesn't seem to have been very popular though, perhaps because it's not retro and is probably considered by many to be small at 38mm wide.  It now appears to be available for $295!

codek-spiral-wrist.jpg