• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Evant Watches - mean anything to anybody?

Caller.

On 24/07/2017 at 19:42, GASHEAD said:

I must admit that I don't generally read all the PR crap and I don't think I necessarily care who is behind the brand; I don't really know who is behind the likes of IWC, Breitling etc - but it's generally a big conglomerate moneymaking machine such as LVMH rather than a bunch of watch enthusiasts.

I'm just judging the watch on its own merits. Perhaps it is just a homage to the 1960s Breguet, but arguably all watches are homages of one sort or another.

I'm kinda on the fence about the whole "heritage" angle. It sometimes feels like a last-ditch effort to discredit brands that don't fit somebody's horological pretences. I don't really care where it's assembled if the parts, design and QA are all on point.

The recent Hamtun Kickstarter was interesting because they have been very open about the process, without worrying about inventing any mystique. Apparently the HK factory supplying titanium cases produces them for many of the successful microbrands, but also swiss brands in the mid-low single-digit thousands price point.

Ross, the chap behind Hamtun, wouldn't reveal specifically who they're manufacturing for due to NDAs signed to see stuff made for other companies (like the ball-bearing action bezel prototype, or the titanium cases) but it would seem some of the Swiss Heritage brand usual suspects are embracing the realities of modern manufacturing, rather than having bespectacled master craftsmen hand carving their watches from solid blocks of steel in the Swiss mountains. Where the Swiss movement is popped into the Chinese made case is of little consequence surely?

On the subject of The Usual Suspects.. "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't ~exist~ use Chinese factories for the assembly of his watches, and tenuous COO laws to stick Swiss on the dial."

Edited by ry ry