• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Gnomon

Please, rate my current project - Gnomon - sundial inspired wristwatches

The project I'm currently working on is called Gnomon and inspired by the ancient Roman sundials. I want to combine this aesthetics with a modern wristwatch. The format is 12-hour single hand running on automatic movement. The only hand refers to a gnomon itself and the design's layout refers to sundials appearance as well as its time measurement system. The inner dial layer is made of scratched steel with the unique texture made by hand. The straps are handmade too. The back lid is engraved with zodiac signs which correspond with hour numerals in zodiac system.

Here are some more photos: http://imgur.com/a/zvpWU

All watches on the photos are actual prototypes, so you can judge clearly on the current status of the project!

Q9WMuys.png

DwOXFHg.png

o0oT7ae.png

• Like 2

I don't like that the numerals are twisted clockise by half an increment.  

Or that you are doing market research without so much as an introduction.

• Like 1

Look nice enough.  Permission from the site owner to post this sort of stuff would be a polite thing to ask for.

• Like 1

I must admit that there is something I really like about your Gnomon project. I presume that we are here not talking about a sort of dual function watch involving an ability to use the sun, but essentially single-handed timepiece where the hand revolves once every twelve hours.. I note that Daveyboys anf RWP have criticizeded you in the manner of your approach as a new member, and perhaps you need to address this before carrying on, and Davey does have a point about the shifted numbers on the inner dial. Nevertheless, I do see something interesting here, and I especially like the shape of the gnonon-derived watch hand.

I really like that, I don't mind the numeral , or the lay out , only thing is I would want two hands, which would kinda defeats  the object of the design/ objective , DOH,

but I do like the case design, dial design and look texture effect esp on the light dial/ blue one. nice case back  , its auto,

good luck with the project:thumbsup:

deano

I like it, and depending on price, could be tempted. A pleasant change from the multi diver stuff. Don't go and spoil it all with the usual "artisan" sales cr@p. As said it would have been courteous to introduce your self. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I was a bit mystified by teh thread, as there's an international watch dealer called Gnomon Watches, I think. You should check your name for trademark/tradename violation worries. 

Welcome to the forum. Interesting watch design, and I grant some credit for being bold and unique. If you are heading to a crowdfunded project we have a section (penalty box, or special guest quarters, opinions vary) for those inquiries. But I don't see such a mention, so presume that you are just jumping into this forum and want to be a member of the community. What's your background, have you made watches before? Do you work on watches? 

Your IMGUR link seems to actually link back to this page (Firefox on iOS), here's your real link: http://imgur.com/a/zvpWU 

http://imgur.com/a/zvpWU

I agree, the Roman numerals being half increment rotated is annoying and confusing. What's it for? Maybe an explanation is in order. 

I like the case and dial colors of the steel grey one.  Interesting. 

1 hour ago, it'salivejim said:

GLWTS :thumbsup:

Um … translation, please? (Still starting my first caffeinated drink of the day, yes I'm late.) Oh, "Good Luck With That, Sir" ? 

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 1

It's the first and only single handed watch I have in anyway liked, the shaping of the main hand is quite fascinating and does give a very good 3d effect that emulates the gnomon. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

Um … translation, please? (Still starting my first caffeinated drink of the day, yes I'm late.) Oh, "Good Luck With That, Sir" ? 

Good Luck With The Sale, but I prefer your version :laugh:

• Thanks 1

Have to say that I really watch and that the numbers being slightly rotated is interesting :) Now hopefully the price is something I can afford :) Good luck.

Hi! Sorry for breaking the courtesy rules.

My name's James, I'm from Toronto and currently working with a couple of friends on the watch series inspired with time tellers of the past such as sundials, nocturns, clepsydras etc. The main idea is to integrate their features into a classic wristwatch. I'm currently working on the sundial manifestation of this project and hope to find those who'll be interested in purchasing and wearing my watch so I could push series in more complicated and sophisticated design in future, improving both esthetic and technological parts.

Thanks everyone for you opinions! It's nice to see that there are people who likes my work!

Not sure about the final price yet, but it won't be very expensive. As for the difficulties with the interpretation of the dial's positioning, here's an explanation. You can tell the time simply by looking at the inner layer since it offers all necessary indexes and marks to keep up. You can also read it with the outer layer with Roman numerals. It can be used as a support hour indicator or as an authentic separate time scale where you tell time observing how the hand passes through the each hour area.

• Like 2

The launch is coming very soon, friends!

Here's the website of my project: www.solar-lab.co

You can subscribe to updates and get notified on the launch and other interesting news!

16 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Hasn't this already been done......?

FZ7CIXHH0OJ15LR.MEDIUM.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

It sure has...

Navitron sundial (solar powered)

SundialDSC_0111_zpsb91916ae.gif~original

SundialDSC_0112_zps7cc2a615.gif~original

Admittedly the photo might have had more impact if I`d taken it on a sunny day :rolleyes: :tongue:

On 07.09.2017 at 15:53, mach 0.0013137 said:

It sure has...

Navitron sundial (solar powered)

SundialDSC_0111_zpsb91916ae.gif~original

SundialDSC_0112_zps7cc2a615.gif~original

Admittedly the photo might have had more impact if I`d taken it on a sunny day :rolleyes: :tongue:

Well played, but it doesn't work in the evenings!

Amazing news, guys!

We've hit the pre-order stage with the help of Kickstarter! If you're interested in getting some cool watches, search for Gnomon watch on Kickstarter or send me a PM and I'll tell you more :)

1 hour ago, Gnomon said:

Well played, but it doesn't work in the evenings!

Amazing news, guys!

We've hit the pre-order stage with the help of Kickstarter! If you're interested in getting some cool watches, search for Gnomon watch on Kickstarter or send me a PM and I'll tell you more :)

Glad it doesn't resemble a sales pitch......phew :whistle:

Hi there, these designs look genuinely fresh and novel, I appreciate what you are saying about the roman numeral position, but it would just bug me immensely.  If these are prototype,  sort it now would be my suggestion. Then I will probably buy one,  this one. QVdbAEU_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&