• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Roger the Dodger

Breitling Question.

I have always had a hankering for the yellow Breitling Super Ocean, and as I want to start moving up a bit, I have a question for those members who own one. I know Colin (@cgs)  and Rob (@mcb2007) both have gorgeous examples, and I know yours is blue, Rob, but I won't hold it against you!:tongue:

The Mk 1 version (from my Googling attempts) appears to have all the indicies lumed (apart from 3 where the date window is) The MK2 (with 'Super Ocean' in red on the dial) only appears to have 12, 6 and 9 lumed. Is this correct? I would want the older, fully lumed version if this is confirmed. I thank you for any light you may able to shed on this matter.

Older A17045 version.

v4wikk.jpg

Newer A17360 version.

SuperoceanYellowSolder_2048x2048.jpg?v=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the promp reply, Dean, and lovely watch!...are all the numbers lumed? If so, this is the version I will be looking for........in yellow. Yeah, I know, but yellow always makes me smile because it's 'sunny'......:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Thanks for the promp reply, Dean, and lovely watch!...are all the numbers lumed? If so, this is the version I will be looking for........in yellow. Yeah, I know, but yellow always makes me smile because it's 'sunny'......:thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with yellow Rog I have a hankering for a custard Emergency. Yes all numbers apart from the date wheel positioned at 3 are lumed and glow like a torch.

20170729_190056.jpg

Edited by futuristfan

Rog. There were several versions over the years. The one in the picture looks like the Steelfish version.  The later versions like mine below have full lume including on the numerals plus an arrow head second hand. There's a good article on Calibre 11on the web.  The bracelet changed too. Mine has the later Pro2.   Happy hunting 

large.IMAG1537_1_zpswg4igkwz.jpg.af1bdb9c07bad55c18b470c18e0ff419.jpg

large.image.jpeg.11969c5acb54cbdf3d6b6ceb4a17682c.jpegGet one bought you tight ar*se the yellow is great , watch out for a dodgy crown thread  . I would have got the yellow but the blue popped up for sale and is booooootiful.

Edited by mcb2007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ong said:

Rog. There were several versions over the years. The one in the picture looks like the Steelfish version.  The later versions like mine below have full lume including on the numerals plus an arrow head second hand. There's a good article on Calibre 11on the web.  The bracelet changed too. Mine has the later Pro2.   Happy hunting 

large.IMAG1537_1_zpswg4igkwz.jpg.af1bdb9c07bad55c18b470c18e0ff419.jpg

Thank you, Lawrence...I've always preferred the full lume version, so this will be my goal. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

large.image.jpeg.11969c5acb54cbdf3d6b6ceb4a17682c.jpegGet one bought you tight ar*se the yellow is great , watch out for a dodgy crown thread  . I would have got the yellow but the blue popped up for sale and is booooootiful.

You jammy git! :tongue: Yep....that's the version I'm looking for. That blue one is beautiful.......perhaps I should get two, the blue and the yellow...you don't want a couple of really rare Sea Urchins, do you?

• Like 1

Did you know that TG once blagged a 911 CS wearing a vintage Navitimer? 

watch doesn't really come close does it?:whistle:

36112838791_bf98fe39a7_z.jpg

I fancy another Porker 

great watches though there is only the Navi from Breitling the rest are wanna be' like a 924 ain't they? Sorry thats my tenuous connection

35414056234_aa07c12f15_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

Mate...seen that, but it's on a f@cking strap.....You should know me by now....bracelet or f@ck off.

9 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

great watches though there is only the Navi from Breitling the rest are wanna be' like a 924 ain't they? Sorry thats my tenuous connection

35414056234_aa07c12f15_b.jpg

Nige .....you're a great bloke and a credit to the forum, but how should I put this nicely?........No thank you.

And I never said 'f@ck off' either did I....:laugh:

• Haha 2

I think the Navitimer is the way to go, if you go for the super ocean the pro2 bracelet as per ONG's watch is the bomb, love that bracelet it is super robust and I just think its cool.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

I think the Navitimer is the way to go, if you go for the super ocean the pro2 bracelet as per ONG's watch is the bomb, love that bracelet it is super robust and I just think its cool.

see Rog a man of taste :biggrin:

and discernment :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

rPji0bq.jpgmorning, all I will say is either colour is :thumbsup:, but I do have a preference for the pro 2 bracelet, BUT this is the watch that taught me to always buy a watch with the bracelet, as it costs me another £300+ another link to get one in mint condition fully polished for mine , after I bought the watch on a strap plus bought another 2 more straps  which I was never happy with.!

deano

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 1

I really like the blue, but have to agree with Roger, the yellow wins hands down for me. :yes:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Yes the Pro2 is miles better than the Pro1.  More robust , better pattern and looks the part without being over heavy or clumsy.  The later ones like mine have them as standard but I think you can retro fit them.  Also look for the depth rating on various versions . Mine is 5000ft allegedly but some are only 1000ft.   What difference this means in my shower I'm not sure but to a purist it may be worth something.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mcb2007 said:

Oi dirty mouth look at the second link and put ya muni wer ya mouf is .

Sorry about that, Rob...one too many Bombays last night. I did look at that second one, and read the description, but that lume pip on the bezel looks a bit dodgy to me. I will keep looking, though and remember, it's going to take me a while to save up and sell a few...I don't have a spare couple of grand just lying around, you know...:laugh:

26 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Sorry about that, Rob...one too many Bombays last night. I did look at that second one, and read the description, but that lume pip on the bezel looks a bit dodgy to me. I will keep looking, though and remember, it's going to take me a while to save up and sell a few...I don't have a spare couple of grand just lying around, you know...:laugh:

You should be able to source a good used one for less than two grand.  Both Rob and I paid less for ours as far as I recall. Here's another pic of mine taken in a pub some months ago while on the Bombay ...large.IMAG1414_1_zpstrwasiln.jpg.ffc684f109380282628270cbd7d6b2bd.jpg

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ong said:

You should be able to source a good used one for less than two grand.  Both Rob and I paid less for ours as far as I recall. Here's another pic of mine taken in a pub some months ago while on the Bombay ...large.IMAG1414_1_zpstrwasiln.jpg.ffc684f109380282628270cbd7d6b2bd.jpg

You two are making me jealous now......:sadwalk:

:laugh:

• Haha 1

I have a black-dialled A17360 with the skeletonised indices which dates from 2008.

DSC_0216.jpg

It was the last iteration of the Superocean before the Mk2 (rubberised bezel) version came out in 2010. I can confirm that the 12, 9, 6 indices are not lumed and, like yourself, would have preferred it if they were. However, I do find the overall dial layout is less cluttered than the previous version with the all-lumed indices, because the minute markers have been moved from the dial onto the chapter ring, replacing the rather superfluous 2.5 minute markers that were there. I also prefer the handset on this version.

If you do want the all-lumed version, then I would go for the previous transitional model shown in ONG's post. There are a couple of subtle differences/improvements over the earlier one shown in mcb2007's post which I think makes it the more desirable - namely the arrow-tipped second hand, a less-cluttered chapter ring, and the slightly wider, less tapered, minute/hour hands which accommodate more lume.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the avenger 2 sea wolf with yellow dial.  Liked it but too thick and easily damaged.  Had it for 6 months then sold it. I would advise choosing something else.

• Sad 1

On 29/07/2017 at 18:22, Roger the Dodger said:

I have always had a hankering for the yellow Breitling Super Ocean, and as I want to start moving up a bit, I have a question for those members who own one. I know Colin (@cgs)  and Rob (@mcb2007) both have gorgeous examples, and I know yours is blue, Rob, but I won't hold it against you!:tongue:

The Mk 1 version (from my Googling attempts) appears to have all the indicies lumed (apart from 3 where the date window is) The MK2 (with 'Super Ocean' in red on the dial) only appears to have 12, 6 and 9 lumed. Is this correct? I would want the older, fully lumed version if this is confirmed. I thank you for any light you may able to shed on this matter.

Older A17045 version.

v4wikk.jpg

Newer A17360 version.

SuperoceanYellowSolder_2048x2048.jpg?v=1

Here you go Roger bargain alert. No need to thank me.