• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Autonomous

Modding my old Oris

Hi there,

This is a c70's/80's Oris 17 jewel that I picked up cheap without seeing a good photo. At first I was quite pleased but replaced the nasty strap and the cracked glass for a domed one. After learning so much more from this great forum, I now realise that it's had a new dial or paint job...

NwkcGiC.jpg

In a close shot you can see that the 'ORIS' is not central and badly done, I no longer like the roman numerals either. The movement is nice, clean and Oris branded. So this may be my first 'Mod' job. I now want to spray the dial maybe matt grey, replace the hands for dagger lumed ones, and add lume dots. My only sticking points maybe sourcing hands that fit/work and the dial is textured which I don't want to lose but not sure how it will look plain.

Any thoughts, tips, or words of caution...?

Cheers!

Qy3edHm.jpg

Edited by Autonomous

I think with that guilloching (sp?) it will look sensational with a plain colour, especially if you can get pearlised paint..

Edited by Biker
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Say said:

Hey biker, What is guilloching 

It's a decorative engraving, which makes me feel the dial may be original (but re-painted) and is why I don't want to just buy a replacement dial. :)

Oris signed the backplates. Even movements not made by but for Oris were signed Oris so where the crowns. 

This looks like a mumbay special. A franken.

If you need more help for thorough evaluation, appraisal ...so on, feel free please to ask.

Best wishes.