• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Gardening!! :(

Hi all

Yesterday I had to take down a Hawthorne that had grown way too high so I started at the top from a set of 8' steps and lopped off anything thin enough and used a saw to get through the thicker parts..

All was going well until I reached for a branch that was going uppards and outwards, It looked as though it was going over by it's own weight!

I reached from the top of the steps and chopped it with the loppers and WHACK!!! It sprang towards me and a thorn went straight in to the upper part of my right ear making a good sized hole!!

It turned out that the branch was bending due to a huge amount of Honeysuckle that had crept up and fattened up there!!

The actual pain of the whack without the jab felt like when a teacher once backhanded me at school for being a nuisance!!

I also had a thorn up my thumbnail too, Have to say I hate Hawthorne, I think next time i'll get an expert in!!

John :)

• Haha 1

We are here to take the risks for you :laugh: 

Reminds me once at work (when I worked for a private hospital) - I was chainsawing up some deadwood, I had got mostly through the pile and had one or two bits to go. I wasn't sure how close to the floor they were so decided to use a bow saw, took off my chainsaw helmet started bow sawing and realised one of the dead trees had been bent over by other bits of wood and was under tension. By the time I had extracted the bow saw from the cut I could hear the tree cracking (was only a smallish sapling that had died) all of a sudden crack, it split flew up and smacked me straight in the face :angry: Luckily no broken noses or anything just a bit bloody and bruised :laugh: Just as well I wasn't using the chainsaw!

• Sad 1

Must admit that Hawthorn can be a bu66er to prune and even worse to clear up, the needle like thorns even penentrating thick 'rigger' type gloves if you handle them too roughly. These days, I tend to use a long reach hedge cutter to trim off the worst of the twiggy bits before changing over to the pole pruner (chainsaw) to tackle the thicker stuff. With the 1m carbon extension (not in the pic below, as I didn't have it when that pic was taken) between the motor unit and the pole pruner, it has nearly a 3m reach, 4m if you include my own reach, so I can stand well back from the job!:laugh:

large.20160610_085940_zpssyp5n4me.jpg.e205e2368139a0337b0b0ff706aa4168.jpg

• Like 1

On 08/08/2017 at 23:44, johnbaz said:

Hi all

Yesterday I had to take down a Hawthorne that had grown way too high so I started at the top from a set of 8' steps and lopped off anything thin enough and used a saw to get through the thicker parts..

All was going well until I reached for a branch that was going uppards and outwards, It looked as though it was going over by it's own weight!

I reached from the top of the steps and chopped it with the loppers and WHACK!!! It sprang towards me and a thorn went straight in to the upper part of my right ear making a good sized hole!!

It turned out that the branch was bending due to a huge amount of Honeysuckle that had crept up and fattened up there!!

The actual pain of the whack without the jab felt like when a teacher once backhanded me at school for being a nuisance!!

I also had a thorn up my thumbnail too, Have to say I hate Hawthorne, I think next time i'll get an expert in!!

John :)

But surely after all of those valuable lessons, you must getting pretty expert yourself!  :thumbsup:

Edited by Biker
  • Like 1