• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Zeno COSC

ericp

What I want to know is why Breitling. Omega etc. etc.. don't present their watches like this.

This watch arrived in a very highly polished wooden box, the very detailed (showing performance of my watch) COSC certificate signed and stamped crisp stored nice and neat in the leather folder.

zeno1.jpg

zeno2.jpg

Its an outstanding watch, representing fantastic value for money.

Eric

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a stab in the dark here as I don't know for sure, but I'd say it's because Zeno is not generally sold to the watch buying public. I think you'd be hard pressed to see one on the wrist of a non-WIS type person. They know their audiance is comprised of enthusiasts, so they include the things that enthusiasts like. Or you can spend $3000 for an Omega only to turn to page 24 of the user manual to read the two paragraphs about the watch you just bought.

Hello all

I've read the write up about Zeno on a site that states they are a family watch makers since 1922.

I don't disbelieve it but I have been collecting vintage watches for a long time, I thought I'd seen most things, but I've never seen a vintage Zeno.

Were they perhaps just supplied to certain markets or did they have a different name previously?

Does anybody know?

Neil.

At the end of the day it is the watch that counts and no amount of extras and fancy wallets (menu holders) will make the watch any better.

A Krug Bauman comes in a very nice box, :lol:

Zeno only started making wristwatches in the 1960's before then it was only pocket watches.

A watch of this type is a luxury purchase....Its not an essential item, and therfore deserves to be treated as such.....

If I could equate it to a car purchase....

A car gets you from A to B....But car manufacturers spend a fortune on what are known as "Surpise and Delight" features. Little extras that do as the name suggests....

Why do they do this....

Why do you think....?

Look after the customer, and they will keep coming back !!!!

The Zeno certificate and folder was a real surprise, not only is it fantastically well presented its also informative and outstanding quality. The box, cushion, labels, hang tags, polishing cloths, it all adds up to produce a sense of satisfaction. You have bought a quality item, and all the little surprise and delight features that come with it are designed to remind you of this fact.

It may add to the cost of the watch, but in my opinion it also adds to the enjoyment of watch collecting. The Zeno boxes are a not only a pleasure to look at, but they are also very tactile...

As for the watch, its fantastic, it feels remarkably well built. Its very comfortable (despite its size), its amazingly easy to read and its very stylish. As far as time keeping goes, its clearly earned its COSC certificate.

Considering Zeno only started making wristwatches in the 60s they seem to have got their act together and are producing world class watches at a very very good price !

I have a feeling this watch will be on my wrist a good deal more than some of its more expensive stable mates !!!

Eric.

In furtherance to what Roy has said I buy nearly all my watches second hand or vintage and to be honest if its got a box thats nice, although it only gets put away.

When I buy a watch I buy it for the make, history and quality. The packaging doesn't really come into it

BTW I thought the Omega and Breitling cases were smart enough IMO.

The Breitling with their Bakelite boxes and the Omega with a leather box with leather case inside for your books and papers.

Anything more would be gilding the lily surely?

Cheers,

Neil.

Roy,

It hink perhaps you misunderstood, or I did not make myself clear...

Car companies spend a fortune on developing goodies for the car, a classic example being the cup holders that slowly slide from the dash then popinto position, all at the touch of a button....

It does nothing to enhance the basic function of the car, but its nice to have. However research has shown people respond to it....Bells and Whistles...Surprise and Delight.....Call it what you will....A classic example is the little carboard circular slide rule you get with a Breitling Navitimer or B-1, adds nothing to the watch, but is quite lovely.

Regards.

Eric.

p.s. Please take it as read that everytime you find a new brand of watch, or dig up some old treasure I will ask if it comes in a nice box, this will save me typing and everyone else reading :o)

Acou[le of years back I bought a new Omega that came in a tin can..........just about said it all really........especially as it followed my purchase of a brand new Speedmaster which was returned to Omega three times in thew first six months, it should have put me right off Omega, but it didnt,,would like to try a co-axial.

Roger

Would I be the only one here to think that Zeno watches are slightly overpriced and again I feel, rather middle of the road?

(Eric if your watch is 47 in diameter, then I have the same piece but called "Philip Huber" and made by Zeno but for £120 or thereabouts from Roy. No fancy wallets though)

As regards presentation, are not the extras, wallets etc., only there to justify the slightly higher price?

I recall Zeno as being a mathematician but can't recollect what exactly was his claim to fame. I do know,however, that whatever his claim to fame, this has been shot down by an Australian mathematician only recently(me not being mathematically minded I would not dare an attempt at explanation)

Peter

funny that, Spadge. It's just that the watch is a dead ringer for a Zeno, except that it has "Philip Huber Raid" where Zeno watches etc should be. It is fitted witha Zeno crown and comes packaged in a Zeno wallet. The case is exactly the same as the Zeno model.

A case of badge engineering perhaps?

Peter.

Guest Spadge

You can read too much into coincidence sometimes Peter, especially if it's convenient to do so.

Philip Huber was crown jeweller to the German court and has nothing at all to do with the Huber family who own Zeno. Zeno categorically deny having any connection with the brand Philip Huber, even though it may bear a superficial resemblance. Have you seen the brand Adee Kay? A dead-ringer for the 47 mm Zeno but actually a Hong Kong copy with a Miyota movement.

It's quite easy to get hold of the Zeno wallet and put anything you like in there but all genuine Zeno 47 mm watches are supplied in a wooden box. I recently bought a Jacquet-Girard watch which came in a Zeno wallet, are you suggesting that they also make Jacquet Girard? I also bought a Citizen off eBay which came in a Seiko box - do Seiko make Citizen?

Do not judge a man by the clothes that he wears.

Spadge