• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Steve D UK

Some people really do know very little about watches.

While I am a very long way from knowing about movements etc, even I know this.

Today we were out with friends when one of them mentioned the problem she was having with a watch she bought her daughter for Christmas. It was a £2.5k Tag watch. Apparently it kept stopping and when it did, the daughter has to set the time and date each time. It's been back to Tag for three weeks and they can find no problem with it. Strange thing is, she says, is that she has worn it for weeks herself and it works fine when she's wearing it, but it won't work for her daughter! 

Turns out it's an automatic! Her understanding of an automatic watch was that you didnt't need to wind it up and you don't have to buy batteries for it. She can't understand that when the daughter takes it off and leaves it in a drawer for weeks at a time, it runs out of power and stops! When I explained it all to her, she said she's going to see if Tag will take it back as 'it doesn't fit in with her daughters lifestyle'! I told her she's got no chance so she's going to keep it for herself and get her daughter a 'battery one'.  

Some people! 

• Haha 7

Although a little sad this happens with pretty much any type of item. People that own expensive cars but barely know anything about them, people that own expensive equipment (photo, music, etc.) but barely know how to use them an perhaps might even damage it during use.

We can't all be experts... :) Some people just don't care about the technical aspects or various other details of the things they own.

• Like 2

I overheard a similar conversation between a sales person and potential customer in a local jewellers a few weeks back.  The sales chap was trying to explain the workings of an auto mechanism to the lady and it was just not sinking in.

No batteries, how does it power iseslf?

It gets power as you move, madam.

So what happens if I stand still for a bit, or at night when I'm sleeping?

If you move enough during the day it stores enough energy so see you through a night, and probably an extra day too.

How can it store energy with no battery? I don't get it!

At this point he tried to describe its workings with the model of an Oris movement that they had in their window.  Unfortunately, the lady spotted the mains cable that was plugged into the wall to power this model and then thought that she would have to trail an extension cable around with her.  As I passed her on my way out I said, "don't believe it all, it's really pixies inside the watch that power it," and gave her a wink.  Her face was a picture!

J

• Haha 4

A guy I work with was complaining about his Aquaracer, how it keeps stopping when he doesn't wear it for a day or so... (Mate it's an automatic watch... you need to keep wearing it)

One of my best mates recently received a re-isssue Tag Carrera Chrono from his dad, he was complaining how it stops if he doesn't wear it in a day or so, and he had the chrono running and didn't realise it was a stopwatch function... I told him by constantly having it running will run out the power reserve quicker, and you can also manually wind the watch to help keep it ticking.. anyway I suggested that he should stop the chrono... he was going to wait until all of the dials lined up until zero... I had to show him that the lower pusher resets the chronograph, (not change the date, like he thought) bless.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Seems you lost some replies somehow.  I commented that I hoped to God the dimwit daughter wasn't studying medicine :laugh:

You said she was.  If her grasp of anatomy and physiology is as weak I hope she is never let loose on patients :huh:

I can recall (Vaguely) A lady in the US Bought a motorhome type vehicle, Just a few miles down the road it careered off the road and collided with something or other, When the Police asked her what happened she replied, 'I don't know, As the vehicle was automatic, I went to make a cup of coffee and left it to drive itself, It crashed soon after'!!  :huh:

John :laugh:

• Like 2

Obviously these examples are pretty extreme but I do wonder if I would be happier if I took a more relaxed approach to life

for example, I just bought a new car and I did a LOT of research before buying (half the fun) when buying I tried to access the sat nav on the screen and the salesman announced it wasnt fitted on this model.

Now I am a polite chap so I went away and double checked before letting him know it certainly was fitted and how to access it

When I picked it up from the showroom I noticed it had the wrong fuel fillet cap for this version so I asked about this and the air filter (two things that the dealer should fit after delivery from the factory) I was told they were no longer fitted (used to be) 

Again I went away and researched thoroughly and ended up calling back and asking for this to be double checked, I was told they had checked and they were right so ended up stressing myself out contacting Italy and finally winning/getting the parts fitted

My girlfriend said I would have a much better life letting things go and not bejng so anal/obsessed with everything I buy

I agree..

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RWP said:

Seems you lost some replies somehow.  I commented that I hoped to God the dimwit daughter wasn't studying medicine :laugh:

You said she was.  If her grasp of anatomy and physiology is as weak I hope she is never let loose on patients :huh:

Yikes!! To be fair to the girl though, with medical stuff she is an absolute top notch, fully dedicated, class A medical student who can also speak a second language fluently but you do find that occasionally, brains and common sense don't always go hand in hand! 

Edited by Steve D UK
  • Like 1

Someone who I imagine was a Saturday assistant in a well-known jewellers store showed me a watch.  She told me it was mechanical. 

"No it isn't," I said. "It's quartz. It has a battery."

"Yes sir. Quartz mechanical."

"You mean analogue?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Montybaber said:

My girlfriend said I would have a much better life letting things go and not bejng so anal/obsessed with everything I buy.

No I think you are completely right, and a lot more tolerant than me. I'd have "walked". The minute I smell BS, its time to go, the only reason these people (car sales) get away with their nonsense is through ignorance and tolerance on behalf of the customer.

As I mentioned in another post, I received exemplary service, and a full tutorial in a Fossil shop on watch costing less than £160. Compare that to being told, apologetically, that the only Speedmaster in stock required a battery by a member of staff at an Omega AD. Its all about staff training and customer care. In most instances at point of sale, if the sales staff knew, and spent the time explaining the way an automatic watch works these (laughable) problems wouldn't happen. People hardly ever read an instruction manual. I once had to make a 200 mile journey to calm down a customer who had just bought a £10k grass cutter that wouldn't start. Why? he hadn't turned the fuel on. Idiot yes, but if my member of staff had done as he should have, and given a full tutorial on the mower before it left the shop, the problem most likeky wouldn't have happened.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

No I think you are completely right, and a lot more tolerant than me. I'd have "walked". The minute I smell BS, its time to go, the only reason these people (car sales) get away with their nonsense is through ignorance and tolerance on behalf of the customer.

As I mentioned in another post, I received exemplary service, and a full tutorial in a Fossil shop on watch costing less than £160. Compare that to being told, apologetically, that the only Speedmaster in stock required a battery by a member of staff at an Omega AD. Its all about staff training and customer care. In most instances at point of sale, if the sales staff knew, and spent the time explaining the way an automatic watch works these (laughable) problems wouldn't happen. People hardly ever read an instruction manual. I once had to make a 200 mile journey to calm down a customer who had just bought a £10k grass cutter that wouldn't start. Why? he hadn't turned the fuel on. Idiot yes, but if my member of staff had done as he should have, and given a full tutorial on the mower before it left the shop, the problem most likeky wouldn't have happened.

To be fair I had bought the car before confirming the sat nav and the later issue was on/after collection, yes I could have walked/backed out but I would have been biting off my nose to spite my face

Id like to think it was a couple of honest mistakes although I doubt anything was 'checked' and there is a suspiciously large anount of these extra fitted parts being sold on ebay, how many people dont know or dont double check?

The car is a limited edition and it would have been difficult to get a comparable deal but yes not ideal

Yeah, somehow I pressed the post button twice but I did ask for one to be deleted by a mod. All that has been deleted was my second post requesting one of the threads to be deleted ...

• Like 1

Women in general don't appreciate mechanical watches in the same way men do. It's common for even some very expensive watches by JLC and the like  to be quartz in the ladies line up. They're very sensible and logical and we're not.:yes:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Montybaber said:

Obviously these examples are pretty extreme but I do wonder if I would be happier if I took a more relaxed approach to life

for example, I just bought a new car and I did a LOT of research before buying (half the fun) when buying I tried to access the sat nav on the screen and the salesman announced it wasnt fitted on this model.

Now I am a polite chap so I went away and double checked before letting him know it certainly was fitted and how to access it

When I picked it up from the showroom I noticed it had the wrong fuel fillet cap for this version so I asked about this and the air filter (two things that the dealer should fit after delivery from the factory) I was told they were no longer fitted (used to be) 

Again I went away and researched thoroughly and ended up calling back and asking for this to be double checked, I was told they had checked and they were right so ended up stressing myself out contacting Italy and finally winning/getting the parts fitted

My girlfriend said I would have a much better life letting things go and not bejng so anal/obsessed with everything I buy

I agree..

This really annoys me.

If it's your job you should make an effort to know as much as you can about the product you're selling, but if you don't know, simply admit you don't and go and find out. Don't just bull**** for the sake of it.

About 12 months before Tudor re-launched in the UK I got wind of it being pending from someone on a forum, so I went into Preston's of Bolton who were a Rolex AD, to see if they  knew anything about it.

They'd never heard of Tudor, which was fine, but when I explained the connection with Rolex ( hence the reason I'd called in) they actually laughed at me and obviously thought I'd read some nonsense online about a cheap brand trying to create a bit of hype.

I wouldn't mind but the only other time I'd been in was when  I was 19 and we bought an engagement ring in there that my now wife had chosen and set her heart on.

At the time, if you purchased your engagement ring from them you were supposed to be given a glass of Champagne to toast the occasion and have your photo taken as a keepsake but we got taken down to the basement to view the rings and they posted the guard at the top of the stairs. What an insult. I'd saved for ages for that ring as well. I was only a kid and it was one of the biggest purchases I'd ever made at the time.

9 hours ago, DJH584 said:

It appears we have a duplicate thread running for some reason..... http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/113688-some-people-really-do-know-very-little-about-watches/

7 hours ago, Steve D UK said:

Yeah, somehow I pressed the post button twice but I did ask for one to be deleted by a mod. All that has been deleted was my second post requesting one of the threads to be deleted ...

I've reported the other thread to admin. Admin or mod should be able to merge one topic into another, it's a basic function of forum software. 

On a car forum, one owner in the NE of the US told of an Acura (Honda's "luxe" brand) dealer charging people for the air (nitrogen mix) in the tires of new vehicles. The buyer said, You should've have received the car with the tires inflated. Adjusting the inflation pressure shouldn't charged. Oh no, the salesperson insisted, we receive them with regular air, we deflate them and fill with Acura nitrogen.  Sorry, most people use a nitrogen mix now. The salesperson boasted, Oh well we inflate with Acura high performance nitrogen. :huh:  I would've asked to see the air bottles for this. Or just said, "I didn't agree to buy that, deflate tires and reinflate with regular, free air."  Some dealers have no limits on their snake oil they'll try to sell.