• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Migzy

Seiko 5 sport diver

Has anyone been swimming or snorkeling with a Seiko 5 diver?  They are related at 100m but I'm skeptical about that as they don't have a screw down crown.

I've had two Seiko 5 sports and went swimming in both of them with no problem.   Seiko suggest what 100m is good for in their instructions.  

I'd be cautious about diving in one though with no screw down crown. :(

Edited by ong
Spelling

There are Seiko 5s with 200m water resistance and screw down crowns. Not many though. :yes: Very beautiful watches, too.

skz211j1_2_1_1.jpg

Edited by gimli
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gimli said:

There are Seiko 5s with 200m water resistance and screw down crowns. Not many though. :yes: Very beautiful watches, too.

skz211j1_2_1_1.jpg

That IS nice! 

9 hours ago, gimli said:

skz211j1_2_1_1.jpg

Wow nice Seiko 5. Haven't seen that one before.

9 hours ago, gimli said:

skz211j1_2_1_1.jpg

36068772605_f52bd2424b_b.jpg

Yup....they are nice Gimli :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I mean if a watch is rated for 100m then surely you can dive to 99m with absolutely no problem? Unless I'm missing something?

If it's new I would have no issues using it in the pool, if it is used and not certified beware I have had one that did get a little wet when I just cleaned it in water.

A 100m water resistant watch CANNOT actually handle a depth of 100 meters. Not even close. It's a marketing gimmick.

There are watches out there (from expensive brands) that do get certified to certain depths but those brands pay a lot of money for those certifications. Those are the big deal, indeed.

Even so, if it doesn't have a screw down crown, screw down case back and a crystal that is press fit from the outside, I don't think a watch should be submerged into water, especially at great depths.

Only 200m WR or more for actual diving.

4 minutes ago, gimli said:

A 100m water resistant watch CANNOT actually handle a depth of 100 meters. Not even close. It's a marketing gimmick.

There are watches out there (from expensive brands) that do get certified to certain depths but those brands pay a lot of money for those certifications. Those are the big deal, indeed.

Even so, if it doesn't have a screw down crown, screw down case back and a crystal that is press fit from the outside, I don't think a watch should be submerged into water, especially at great depths.

Only 200m WR or more for actual diving.

What about no case back Gimli :whistle:

35501176983_5f8591e7d3_b.jpg