• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
fredwastell

Please help me

I have only ever bought mechanical watches apart from the latest which turns out to be a quartz watch because I did not read the ad. properly. I am now in a dilemma. Do I find out why I should keep the quartz (an Omega Seamaster)? Do I flip the watch asap.

Can the forum help me appreciate the qualities of a quartz movement or can I interest someone in flipping this Omega Seamaster 226380000 - Cal 1538 (dated 2017) for a mechanical watch. This one cost me £1,00http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Seamaster-Sword-Hands/222601860659?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l26490. 

Help needed.

Thanks in anticipation

Hmmn!

In the description it does say mechanical/auto.

Though it also says quartz lower down?!

Personally, Id tell the seller you thought it was an auto, as thats how it was described.( I know it says quartz later down the ad. though!?).

A bit of a tricky one. Of course, with hindsight, you should have checked everything, model numbers etc etc etc. It is also the smaller sized model.....these always sell for less than the full sized ones too.

Its a nice looking watch.....but I think its a bit expensive for what it is.

But others may well disagree!

So did you pay £1,000 or £1,195 for it?

• Like 1

Quartz are fine.....if you try it it will make a change.....no constant attention.  Keep it and give it a whizz.......nothing to lose and you'll like it. :thumbsup:

Edited by RWP

18 minutes ago, marley said:

Hmmn!

In the description it does say mechanical/auto.

Though it also says quartz lower down?!

Personally, Id tell the seller you thought it was an auto, as thats how it was described.( I know it says quartz later down the ad. though!?).

A bit of a tricky one. Of course, with hindsight, you should have checked everything, model numbers etc etc etc. It is also the smaller sized model.....these always sell for less than the full sized ones too.

Its a nice looking watch.....but I think its a bit expensive for what it is.

But others may well disagree!

So did you pay £1,000 or £1,195 for it?

I paid a thousand dead.

I would never recommend that men buy quartz watches but that said the Seamaster is one of the few exceptions where I think it doesn't matter too much.  The watch is a real beater watch, they stand up to a lot of abuse and as such its a watch I would recommend for sports and swimming ect.  Quartz is suitable and hassle free for such a watch and the quart are very reliable and durable.

You have bought it now, and got it at a decent price... though the advert is kind of misleading and you can get your money back if you want I would be inclined just to keep it personally.

I would contact the seller, they appear to be an established company, and explain that you read in the ad that it is automatic and that's what you wanted. There are some issues with the description in this ad so I think you would be ok to challenge it. Ask if you can return it as it does state they have a 14 day no fuss return policy.

If you really think that you can't live with it then you can only ask them the question.

6 minutes ago, Hussle said:

I would contact the seller, they appear to be an established company, and explain that you read in the ad that it is automatic and that's what you wanted. There are some issues with the description in this ad so I think you would be ok to challenge it. Ask if you can return it as it does state they have a 14 day no fuss return policy.

If you really think that you can't live with it then you can only ask them the question.

Been in touch. Awaiting reply. Should be arriving tomorrow.

• Like 1

I

9 minutes ago, Hussle said:

I agree , it clearly states automatic , so there are issues with the description . Hope you have a satisfactory outcome .

The initial basic eBay description states the movement as Automatic but the detailed description ( the one we all rely on ) clearly states it is Quartz and gives the movement number.   I'd try the seller first particularly as all eBay business sellers have to accept returns.  However I'd also check where you stand with eBay under buyer protection. Nice watch though and worth considering as a keeper. 

My first new Swiss watch was quartz but I thought it was mechanical when I ordered it. A little disappointed when I realised but I love the watch now.

For me it would depend on your financial situation and how much you were set on an auto SM. In my case it was only a couple of hundred quid and it wasn't a 'dream watch' so I could readjust my perspective. If I'd dropped a grand an I'd been after a particular watch for months/years I would be gutted and would look to return/flip it.

1 hour ago, fredwastell said:

I have only ever bought mechanical watches apart from the latest which turns out to be a quartz watch because I did not read the ad. properly. I am now in a dilemma. Do I find out why I should keep the quartz (an Omega Seamaster)? Do I flip the watch asap.

Can the forum help me appreciate the qualities of a quartz movement or can I interest someone in flipping this Omega Seamaster 226380000 - Cal 1538 (dated 2017) for a mechanical watch. This one cost me £1,00http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Seamaster-Sword-Hands/222601860659?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l26490. 

Help needed.

Thanks in anticipation

Easy to see why you thought it would be an automatic so should be no problem returning it for a refund - better than flipping as you could lose money that way.

Nothing wrong with quartz watches - they tend to be very accurate and only need adjusting twice a year for dst changes plus maybe the odd trip to another time zone. Date can usually be changed without moving the hands unless you forget if it is first stop or second on the crown to change the date and it does vary between brands.

Good news for me as the vendor accepts that the description is misleading and agreed to a refund. Happy days. I would still like someone to explain why they have a preference for quartz movements.

• Like 2

Send it back, your obviously having second thoughts or you wouldn't have asked. Plus if you thought you was getting an auto then you should get an auto. Just start a case stating not as described. 

Good luck. 

Was posting as you posted your last reply. Good to hear. 

Edited by Bluestifford

14 minutes ago, fredwastell said:

Good news for me as the vendor accepts that the description is misleading and agreed to a refund. Happy days. I would still like someone to explain why they have a preference for quartz movements.

Because if you dont wear a quartz for a few days the time is still right as is the date, might just be me but autos can be a nuisance.

25 minutes ago, fredwastell said:

Wear, put down, pick up, put back on.  Swiss ones are nicely made :thumbsup:

Maintenance free compared to mechanicals.

Edited by RWP

26 minutes ago, fredwastell said:

I don't have a preference for quartz movements but have a few in various guises as I would put solar and kinetic (as in seiko kinetic) together with quartz.

There are many quartz watches that are accurate to within 10 seconds per year whereas this would be quite exceptional in an automatic. If you do a lot of travel across time zones then this accuracy becomes rather pointless unless it has an independent hour hand otherwise you are resetting it frequently and the accuracy advantage is lost.

Some Grand Seiko models allow the battery to be changes without exposing the movement to air/dust and this can mean longer intervals between servicing.

Quartz allows for radio or GPS coordination which keeps time spot on and in some cases they may adjust to local time automatically when moving across time zones.

Partly this will all come down to why you want a particular watch and what presses the buttons for you. A quartz may be easier as a grab and go watch but even if you have to wind it by hand and then set the time and date, you will only use up a minute or two of your day and a gain or loss of a minute or two a day will not cause most people any major problems.

I only wear my watches one day a month and I pull the winder out on quartz watches to preserve the battery life, so changing times is not an issue for me.

I am a bit of a quartz collector. I have a few mechanicals but most of my watches are quartz. As with mechanicals, some quartz movements are poorly made for little cost whilst others are hand made in Japan or Switzerland and use first rate materials and state-of-the-art technologies.

I have always bought into the quartz sales pitch because it has, at its heart, always been a true horological promise - accuracy! Mechanical watches went through centuries of development to be as accurate as possible, with Harrison's' notable H4 chronometer followed by Breguet's tourbillon and so many other, perhaps less well known improvements.

Then tuning fork movements came in and things seemed to take a big leap forward. Big, reputable Swiss brands were getting in on the action. Then, of course, barely a decade later, quartz came along and there was another quantum shift. This time Rolex and Patek Philippe were in at the inception and it seemed for a while that mechanicals might have a future only at the lower end of the market, for the average Joe who couldn't afford a quartz watch.

Well, of course things didn't work out that way and we are now awash with cheap quartz watches that are essentially cr*p. Rolex stopped making their Oysterquartz in 2001 and Omega has cut quartz down to just one or two professional models.

And yet, high end, high accuracy, hand made quartz watches still exist and they can boast levels of finishing equal to, or better than, a mechanical of equivalent price (I just have to compare the dial of my GS SBGV009 against the dial of a Rolex Explorer to confirm that). And even in the mid-tier realms of quartz watches, with Citizen's extensive range of Eco-drive GPS or RC watches, for example, you get those other basic tenets of the horological promise: reliability of function; simplicity of use; and affordability.

I'm glad the seller accepted that the ad was misleading and agreed to the refund. Quartz watches really aren't for everyone. But I just wanted to share my thoughts and explain why they are for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-HK said:

I am a bit of a quartz collector. I have a few mechanicals but most of my watches are quartz. As with mechanicals, some quartz movements are poorly made for little cost whilst others are hand made in Japan or Switzerland and use first rate materials and state-of-the-art technologies.

I have always bought into the quartz sales pitch because it has, at its heart, always been a true horological promise - accuracy! Mechanical watches went through centuries of development to be as accurate as possible, with Harrison's' notable H4 chronometer followed by Breguet's tourbillon and so many other, perhaps less well known improvements.

Then tuning fork movements came in and things seemed to take a big leap forward. Big, reputable Swiss brands were getting in on the action. Then, of course, barely a decade later, quartz came along and there was another quantum shift. This time Rolex and Patek Philippe were in at the inception and it seemed for a while that mechanicals might have a future only at the lower end of the market, for the average Joe who couldn't afford a quartz watch.

Well, of course things didn't work out that way and we are now awash with cheap quartz watches that are essentially cr*p. Rolex stopped making their Oysterquartz in 2001 and Omega has cut quartz down to just one or two professional models.

And yet, high end, high accuracy, hand made quartz watches still exist and they can boast levels of finishing equal to, or better than, a mechanical of equivalent price (I just have to compare the dial of my GS SBGV009 against the dial of a Rolex Explorer to confirm that). And even in the mid-tier realms of quartz watches, with Citizen's extensive range of Eco-drive GPS or RC watches, for example, you get those other basic tenets of the horological promise: reliability of function; simplicity of use; and affordability.

I'm glad the seller accepted that the ad was misleading and agreed to the refund. Quartz watches really aren't for everyone. But I just wanted to share my thoughts and explain why they are for me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on quartz movements. As accuracy is not my main concern I do like the beauty of movement in the mechanical watch. I can't appreciate the vibration of a crystal in the same way. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I do appreciate your passion for watches and wish you all the best in your collecting.

4 hours ago, fredwastell said:

I have only ever bought mechanical watches ......

29 minutes ago, fredwastell said:

I only wear my watches one day a month and I pull the winder out on quartz watches to preserve the battery life, so changing times is not an issue for me.

I'm confused. So, do you have other quartz watches then? 

13 minutes ago, Steve D UK said:

I'm confused. So, do you have other quartz watches then? 

It's not you who's confused, it's the OP :laugh:

5 hours ago, fredwastell said:

Can the forum help me appreciate the qualities of a quartz movement or can I interest someone in flipping this Omega Seamaster 226380000 - Cal 1538 (dated 2017) for a mechanical watch.

Personally I would keep it, that looks like a nice example, and the price seems competitive as well from what I have seen.  However, it sounds like you have doubts, so the best thing would be to return it to them immediately, as I don't think you will be happy with a quartz (not because there's anything wrong with it, but just because it's not your "thing").  It looks like they have a cast iron 14 day returns policy anyway, so that should be straightforward enough.  Might be worth phoning them in advance, just to confirm it, and obviously use RMSD to deliver it, so they can't claim it hasn't arrived.

22 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Personally I would keep it, that looks like a nice example, and the price seems competitive as well from what I have seen.  However, it sounds like you have doubts, so the best thing would be to return it to them immediately, as I don't think you will be happy with a quartz (not because there's anything wrong with it, but just because it's not your "thing").  It looks like they have a cast iron 14 day returns policy anyway, so that should be straightforward enough.  Might be worth phoning them in advance, just to confirm it, and obviously use RMSD to deliver it, so they can't claim it hasn't arrived.

Thanks - good advice.