• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

The Garand M1 Rifle

58 minutes ago, vinn said:

i was in an older army.  the food was in little tin cans ;  and you were issued a can opener.  if you lost the can opener,  use your bayonet.

Yeah? Well we used to hunt our own food with bayonets and cooked whatever we caught over an open fire. No catch - no food. So there.

Oh wait, I'm in the RAF so of course I can just order room service while away :laugh:

1 hour ago, Lampoc said:

Yeah? Well we used to hunt our own food with bayonets and cooked whatever we caught over an open fire. No catch - no food. So there.

Oh wait, I'm in the RAF so of course I can just order room service while away :laugh:

19113676_1861393524110457_14546122978032

On 9/12/2017 at 22:33, Teg62x said:

What is us squaddies say. 

The Army  digs in and the RAF check in. :whistle:

I wouldn't have it any other way :tongue:

Those old ones had a great penchant for jamming, resulting in casualties and loss of lives. Surely a collector’s item, don’t take one into a firefight.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 06:59, Lampoc said:

So there to you too.

19 hours ago, thegreentreefrog said:

I traded my M1 Garand for a Colt Ar-15 (circa 1970) in mint condition at a gun show a few years ago, I had to part with $1,100 and the M1 to own the Vietnam Era AR-15 .

The gun was a great investment.

a good trade up would from ar- 15 to m-14 .  vin

I believe that the M-1 was originally envisaged to shoot the .276 of Pedersons design.

An interesting round that predated the 'intermediate' rounds of the StG44 and AK47 after the war

However, MacArthur, and the Army, having 150 million rounds of '06 left over from WW1, prevailed and the rifle was redesigned for 30-06

Which is why it holds only 8 rounds, as opposed to the 10 of .276 envisaged.

And kicks like a mule.

Now, where's the Bren?...

the .276,  an "envisaged round"  lucky  - was not used.  a .30 caliber springfield was in use as an infantry rifle. a knock down  round,  common in ww 11.  the .267 or a .223   only "wound"  as  used in  Vetnam.  vin

But can you fit on Wrist lol. A friend has a Lee Enfield from WW1 , and someone has a collection mainy US of WW2 suprising how heavy these things are. Let alone carrying backpack etc. I have a job going upstairs at times, and not good at authority, so Army was never a choice.