• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
no8yogi

Heuer 1000 Professional 1985

Good afternoon All,

With children and work I have somewhat neglected TWF for my sins, some of you may recall I craved a Heuer 1000 for some time, I love my Tag Heuer 1000 and a few years ago purchased its older slightly battered older brother, both of which have served me well since.

I thought the Heuer was running out of battery so took it to get a new one fitted (there is a good shop right outside my work) but when I got there it was ticking again, now it seems that it will tick and keep perfect time when it is being jiggled about on my wrist but seems to get stuck/stop when its off my wrist, the man in the shop helpfully told me its old you won't get parts and its time to be binned! I obviously don't want to do this, can this watch be repaired? I am more familiar with mechanicals than I am quartz watches. I mean ticking versions of this watch still go for £600 on ebay so not likely to chuck away anytime soon!

Any advice gladly received 

Cheers

Yogi

Edited by no8yogi

I'm going to assume that it has a good quality ETA quartz movement.

While it is true that they stop producing a certain kind of movement, the awesome thing about it is that they switch to producing a new generation of that movement with a different name and perhaps some differences in specs here and there but the dimensions are usually the same. Not only that but they are built to be interchangeable with the older obsolete movements.

I suggest you look up your movement and google the "modern" corresponding equivalent for it. You can then buy such movement and take it to a watchmaker to swap it with the old one.

Obviously you should do some research beforehand to make sure that the new one will fit the old one as far as case, dial, hands, etc.

Another possibility is that it just needs a servicing although if the watchmaker was any good he would have been able to tell if right or not. It's a little weird that it functions under certain situations so that means it might not be completely gone.

Edited by gimli
  • Thanks 1

As said, above. The module in your watch is old and one of the 955.111 series. As said above, has been replaced by the FO series. Possibly the FO5.111. Or FO6.111.  Will swap for you, if you need help. The stem isn't interchangeable, but all else is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, no8yogi said:

Good afternoon All,

With children and work I have somewhat neglected TWF for my sins, some of you may recall I craved a Heuer 1000 for some time, I love my Tag Heuer 1000 and a few years ago purchased its older slightly battered older brother, both of which have served me well since.

I thought the Heuer was running out of battery so took it to get a new one fitted (there is a good shop right outside my work) but when I got there it was ticking again, now it seems that it will tick and keep perfect time when it is being jiggled about on my wrist but seems to get stuck/stop when its off my wrist, the man in the shop helpfully told me its old you won't get parts and its time to be binned! I obviously don't want to do this, can this watch be repaired? I am more familiar with mechanicals than I am quartz watches. I mean ticking versions of this watch still go for £600 on ebay so not likely to chuck away anytime soon!

Any advice gladly received 

Cheers

Yogi

Had the same issues with my old tag 1500, went round in circles trying to find a repair or replace movement. After many expensive quotes and some advice I found my saviour in Simon2 ( on here ) fixed my tag, great job, then handed it to my son for his 18th. For me, he's the man :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know it might sound silly but it is the original movement and I know it doesn't have the same appeal as the mechanical versions there of but I would like to keep it as original as possible as it is a Heuer after all, are there people who would service the movement not just chuck it and replace? 

I was in exactly the same position, I wasn't going to sell the watch so it didn't bother me. My tag quartz was 23 years old and I wanted to replace rather than repair, I thought in my own mind if I had it repaired how long would it really last and would I be out of warranty in the 13 month of repair. The old movement was returned to me to do with as I pleased. If you sell your watch you could put the movement in with the sale, at least the new owner will know everything that's happened with it and your not hiding anything. I would, and this is my personal opinion and was very happy to have a new movement. Simon2 gives great advice and I was super happy  :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, no8yogi said:

I know it might sound silly but it is the original movement and I know it doesn't have the same appeal as the mechanical versions there of but I would like to keep it as original as possible as it is a Heuer after all, are there people who would service the movement not just chuck it and replace? 

26 minutes ago, no8yogi said:

Your movement is most likely not marked so basically it's just a generic ETA. It's not an in-house movement as they call it. Just saying. :)

As gimili said I think it's an ETA movement and if I recall reading some were stamped  tag heuer, mine was, and some weren't. Mine was I think 94 date, 7 jewels. Some of the prices I got for repair were more than the watch was worth and having a watch that didn't work put me in a "what to do next " position. That was primarily what made me join here for advice. Simon2 was a great find and came recommended from another member too :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'll drop a post on the Tag forum (Calibre11) and see if anyone can source an original movement. There's a bloke from the US who often has Heuer1000 parts.

thank you all, if it was the Tag I wouldn't mind just switching out the movement (somewhere in this forum is the thread from where I got the Tag re-lumed new bracelet etc etc turned a beast into a beauty!) but if I could keep the movement in this Heuer I would prefer it, they only made this one between 1984 and 1986 so I feel it is rare (not that rare but rare enough in my eyes!) I like the idea of keeping the movement should I move it on, I will whip off the back tonight and see what it says.

I cant find simon2 when I search?

32 minutes ago, no8yogi said:

thank you all, if it was the Tag I wouldn't mind just switching out the movement (somewhere in this forum is the thread from where I got the Tag re-lumed new bracelet etc etc turned a beast into a beauty!) but if I could keep the movement in this Heuer I would prefer it, they only made this one between 1984 and 1986 so I feel it is rare (not that rare but rare enough in my eyes!) I like the idea of keeping the movement should I move it on, I will whip off the back tonight and see what it says.

I cant find simon2 when I search?

Essex Clock and watch clinic, aka Simon2 :thumbsup:

Edited by Say

I am in the " link directory". I understand your wanting to keep the old module alive. But as some of it's parts are becoming hard to obtain, in the long term a new series module may offer longer reliable service.

• Like 1

Sorry to drag up an old post but I finally got around to sorting this with Simon, she is back home and ticking nicely perhaps for another 35 years (hopefully) as mentioned above I have kept the movement that has come out and should I ever move it on it will be moved on as one and with the explanation of when it had a heart transplant! Thank you Simon for the swift and easy transaction, I couldn't recommend you highly enough! 

46799254241_4d0ae09c5b_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, no8yogi said:

Sorry to drag up an old post but I finally got around to sorting this with Simon, she is back home and ticking nicely perhaps for another 35 years (hopefully) as mentioned above I have kept the movement that has come out and should I ever move it on it will be moved on as one and with the explanation of when it had a heart transplant! Thank you Simon for the swift and easy transaction, I couldn't recommend you highly enough! 

46799254241_4d0ae09c5b_b.jpg

Great result! I have the bubble wrap out and wrapping several overdue repairs!!

• Like 1