• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
AVO

With the benefit of hindsight...?

...would you have approached watch collecting differently?

I would not have spent 5 years expending small to middling sums on a mishmash of watches. I would have saved like billy-o and got these two a lot sooner!

large.IMG_1817.JPG.d5a12cad0a3b622ea07e71376c3aa9fb.JPG

• Like 4

I think with those two watches, maybe with the edition of a ten quid Casio, you genuinely have a watch to suit every single occasion. I started buying a few cheaper watches just to add to the collection but I started to realise that they just sat there, unworn and unloved and for that reason now I will only buy things I actually want and if I can't afford them I either save or put it on my lottery win shopping list.

• Thanks 1

I’d go for the Orient Mako (got 2) instead of the Casio.

But selling off the diverse stock is not proving easy.

I'm not the type that has a grail or has interest in particular watches so I like to get my hands across all sorts of watches as I'm also interested in the stories behind them and various technical aspects.

• Like 3

You wouldn't have saved like billyo over the last five years, because it has taken you those five years of journeying through various other watches, with attendant comings and goings, for you to realise that the Tank and Speedy are 'the ones'.

But are they? Will you still have them in another five years time? Only time will tell.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk

• Like 3

With hindsight I should have hung onto many longer than I did when I first started, I was winning Omega watches for around a hundred quid on ebay for a basic Deville, I had Speedmasters and a few Breitlings all auctioned off over many years ago,...I had a good wage coming in at the time and could have kept them if I had the foresight  I should have hung onto them for a rainy day.....

• Like 2

I'm really happy with some of my cheaper watches, which came after my 1st entry into this mad World, which was an Omega PO. I think my subsequent delivery into the hands of merciless watch forums has meant I have bought some I really shouldn't have - but they go by the name of quartz. 

At the moment, I'm thinking a Damasko and Magrette to finish off, as funds are drying up with a house out here to finish, but just as with buying art, I know I am just kidding myself. However, I will get around to hopefully off-loading 3/4.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AVO said:

I would not have spent 5 years expending small to middling sums on a mishmash of watches. I would have saved like billy-o and got these two a lot sooner!

I think spending the five years is what lead you to your conclusion. :yes:

I wouldn't change my route, its been fun. 

• Like 2

Leaving aside the very real questions of how much money one has available, I think we all follow our personalities when it comes to spending money on interests or hobbies. OK, I have a lot of watches and most of them were inexpensive, but collecting is basically my sole "vice," and I also like to think that I have managed to contribute something to the general fund of knowledge on clocks and watches. Some of us will tend to save up and buy a few more expensive watches, while others, like myself, will be on the lookout for pieces that seem to be interesting or that fit into the collection. And sometimes, I buy a watch just because it is a real bargain.

What I say is, long live variety in all our styles of collecting and enjoy...:biggrin:

• Like 4

I can't decide which of my watches to wear on a good day so decisions made on collecting are immediately pointless as I would change my mind within hours.

The scatter gun approach of grabbing passing watches suits my fickle tastes.  As I have said before I'd grow bored with a watch that cost 5k as quickly as ones for 50 quid so it makes sense to splash around in the shallows :thumbsup: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AVO said:

Absolutely.............

Instead of wasting my money on numerous odds and ends I would have bought half a dozen LV's 

:laugh: :laugh:

• Haha 1

I think this is something that many (most ?) of us have suffered with. I certainly have been guilty of buying on a whim. Most of the time I've had no regrets, but I have bought some that have soon lost favour. I'm much more discerning with my buying now, but am also finding it hard to actually shell out big money on a single watch.:bash:

• Like 2

I just don't think one can come to appreciate what the higher end, luxury, watches provide, without having first experiences the other tiers first.

So if I could retail my experience and knowledge without having actually experienced it to gain that knowledge... Sure, I'd have skipped a few of the utterly mediocre watches I bought. Maybe even most of them. Hell I might say that about my current collection in a bit.

Then, in some years, I may come full circle and realize that spending thousands of dollars on things that are absolutely redundant in every way was the stupidest thing I ever did.  So I'll stick with living in today. Lol

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Then, in some years, I may come full circle and realize that spending thousands of dollars on things that are absolutely redundant in every way was the stupidest thing I ever did.  So I'll stick with living in today. Lol

Have you seen the price of of the latest up to date cell phones

http://www.vertu.com/gb/en/collections/signature-touch/

1 minute ago, wrenny1969 said:

Okay I get it now. Thought you were buying Louis Vuitton.

They wouldn't let Big M in their shop, she was charging at the door furiously pushing and pulling at it not understanding that is was locked and you only got in if the door monkey liked the look of you.

Funniest thing I'd seen in ages.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Absolutely.............

Instead of wasting my money on numerous odds and ends I would have bought half a dozen LV's 

OK,that would have you sorted Monday to Saturday but what would you wear on Sunday? :huh: :laugh:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

OK,that would have you sorted Monday to Saturday but what would you wear on Sunday? :huh: :laugh:

By Sunday I'm usually rat@rsed and would have the best part of a hundred grand in the hippie so I wouldn't care

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bahnstormer_vRS said:

You wouldn't have saved like billyo over the last five years, because it has taken you those five years of journeying through various other watches, with attendant comings and goings, for you to realise that the Tank and Speedy are 'the ones'.

But are they? Will you still have them in another five years time? Only time will tell.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk

I agree with this , in 5 years your tastes could change . Who knows , by that time there could be a gold manual wind VC replacing the Cartier.:biggrin:

• Like 2

Wow, great responses, guys!:thumbs_up:

Who knows where we will be in five years, as we are not blessed with the gift of foresight – probably a good thing!  I guess whatever I did felt right at the time but our tastes and aspirations change over time.  A lot of wise points made there about enjoying the journey. 

• Like 1

Avo, I learned your lesson vicariously through observing others... even so theres a couple of decisions I would reverse... I wouldn't have sold my seamaster or bought an Ebel (I like the Ebel but need the space for another watch) 

In general I don't think I would do anything much differently.

• Like 1