• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
AVO

CW Malvern Air teaser

I have just been browsing the new edition of Loupe, the Christopher Ward magazine, while enjoying a cup of tea. 

Page 6 contains a teaser for the C5 Malvern Air, their ultra thin dress watch first mentioned back in June and due out in the Spring.  So it looks as though they have got it down to under 6 mm (5.95) – well done chaps! That is seriously heading towards Piaget country.  I’m also intrigued to see that it will flog for under £600. I have been quietly expecting it to cost more.  No mention of dial configuration or case diameter, though the use of the ETA 7001 movement indicates that it will be a small seconds ...and 21600 vph!:biggrin:

The only view of the case at present is side on, which shows how slim it will be. I expect it will be 40 mm (A couple of millimetres less would be perfect) and rather hope that the lug gap will be 20 mm.  I am wondering whether it will have a glass back? 

I am looking forward to seeing how this one develops. Nothing of recent vintage has appealed to me that much, although I am going to work again on bonding with the new C3.  I might well be interested in the C5 Air.

A few details on the movement:

Diameter: 10.5 ligne (23.3 mm)

Manual wound, 17 jewel, 21,600 VPH,  small seconds configuration.

61-Verso.png?itok=VF7Pgo6Y

With a movement that small they could easily make something around 36 mm, like the Tangente/Orion, though I doubt whether CW would feel comfortable going that small.

• Like 3

At 23mm it could power ladies watches... Isn't it kind of small for men's watches ? :angry: I know that they can/will use a spacer and such but still... Never liked big watches with small movements...

• Like 2

I agree Steve  :yes:, excellent movement.

Under 40mm for a dress watch would be ideal for me. :biggrin:

:hmmm9uh:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gimli said:

At 23mm it could power ladies watches... Isn't it kind of small for men's watches ? :angry: I know that they can/will use a spacer and such but still... Never liked big watches with small movements...

Isn't it odd that, with electronics, people marvel at and applaud fitting ever more sophistication and features into ever smaller and slimmer packages (from the Sony Walkman to the iPhone) and yet, with watches, the trend seems to be going in the opposite direction with completely unnecessary huge cases.

The reason why a lot of movements look a little lost inside their vast cases is simply that the movements don't need to be that big and no one is going to waste time, effort and money in developing an enormous watch movement to fit perfectly inside a ridiculously huge case when a spacer (plastic or otherwise) will fill the gap and the fashion for big watches may change at any moment.

Case size is largely governed by fashion, whilst movement size is governed by technological ability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AVO said:

@RWP True, but they have just launched a bunch of gorilla-sized watches as well.

Just me , but big is good, up to a point. Same with small and slim.  Skagen and others make them LOOK extremely slim by burying bulges in the skin of the wrist. Seems to work without doing more :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

Isn't it odd that, with electronics, people marvel at and applaud fitting ever more sophistication and features into ever smaller and slimmer packages (from the Sony Walkman to the iPhone) and yet, with watches, the trend seems to be going in the opposite direction with completely unnecessary huge cases.

The reason why a lot of movements look a little lost inside their vast cases is simply that the movements don't need to be that big and no one is going to waste time, effort and money in developing an enormous watch movement to fit perfectly inside a ridiculously huge case when a spacer (plastic or otherwise) will fill the gap and the fashion for big watches may change at any moment.

Case size is largely governed by fashion, whilst movement size is governed by technological ability.

Yes and no. I'm not a fan of huge cases and I'm talking solely about the movement. It's one thing to have a 38mm watch that has a 33mm movement inside but having one that is 20 something mm feels a little like being robbed if you ask me...

1 hour ago, rhaythorne said:

There is no fashion for large cases.

Case sizes have increased by a couple of mm every decade since watches were first produced to be worn on the wrist.

Around the turn of the millennium when 40mm watches first became common, everybody who didn't like them said it was a fashion that would last a few months. Fast forward 17 years and now even IWC do 40mm watches.

If it was a fashion that was coming to an end, where should it revert back to? 38mm to 36mm was once the norm for a man's watch, most ladies watches are a lot bigger than that now.

Edited by Coldwarkid
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, gimli said:

Yes and no. I'm not a fan of huge cases and I'm talking solely about the movement. It's one thing to have a 38mm watch that has a 33mm movement inside but having one that is 20 something mm feels a little like being robbed if you ask me...

You're falling foul of a fashion phenomenon.

A huge watch doesn't necessarily need to be powered by a movement that fits nicely inside an overblown case.

Er, Coldwarkid, you defeat your own argument. 

I rest my ...case :)

Edited by rhaythorne

23 minutes ago, Coldwarkid said:

There is no fashion for large cases.

Case sizes have increased by a couple of mm every decade since watches were first produced to be worn on the wrist.

Around the turn of the millennium when 40mm watches first became common, everybody who didn't like them said it was a fashion that would last a few months. Fast forward 17 years and now even IWC do 40mm watches.

If it was a fashion that was coming to an end, where should it revert back to? 38mm to 36mm was once the norm for a man's watch, most ladies watches are a lot bigger than that now.

Jeans got baggier and baggier and baggier for years and years and years, and now we're once again back to skinny jeans. In my mind it clearly is fashion because manufacturers still offer small watches, it's not like they can't be bought if that's what appeals to you. Omega have sold 44mm speedmasters, yet the one which seems to be the most sought  after this year, the new 38.5mm model. 

Just as long as they don't make the horrible mistake of putting "Slimline" On the dial it sounds like an interesting concept.  I do think it should be a slightly smaller size though if its such a thin case as it can look a bit odd on the wrist if so thin because it will just make the case seem even bigger.

48 minutes ago, hughlle said:

Jeans got baggier and baggier and baggier for years and years and years, and now we're once again back to skinny jeans. In my mind it clearly is fashion because manufacturers still offer small watches, it's not like they can't be bought if that's what appeals to you. Omega have sold 44mm speedmasters, yet the one which seems to be the most sought  after this year, the new 38.5mm model. 

I'm at work at the moment and rushed that post and predictive text changed all the mm measurements and i didn't notice, so the post doesn't make sense now, but you're sort of proving my point that it isn't fashion.

Taking jeans as an example, fashion has seen them go from tight in the mid 70s to baggy throughout the 80s to boot cut in the 90s and early 00, to tight today. Tomorrow's fashion will no doubt be baggy again.

Average watch size hasn't followed this fashion trend at all. The average size has risen by a couple of mm every decade or so since the 50s. 

5 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Agents at Baselworld 2017 were quoted as saying they are behind the curve on this... there are too many 42mm+  size watches in stores for the sales attracted and at least one manufacturer is buying back stock to enable newer stock in smaller sizes to hit the customers.... Big watches are not "out" but smaller watches are certainly in higher demand.

I think we would all like to see a wide variety of choice, so win,win hopefully.

• Like 2