• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Marriage Pocket Watch To Wristwatch Conversion Review

Very few of us collectors like the idea of taking a perfectly original watch and mounting it in another case that was not originally meant for it. The term Frankenwatch comes to mind. Likewise, destroying a 14K watch case by selling it for a gold melt down and leaving an uncased otherwise perfectly good movement, is another high crime for us. But, as a person who really appreciates the beauty of a top of a great pocket watch movement, without the daily hassle of wearing it in my pocket(with a display case salesman's back, of course), we are not left with many other choices other than displaying them in bureau display cases, or wearing them to the theater once in a while. The idea of wearing a pocket watch on your wrist with some clamp on thing, or Great War leather strap on the wrist with the pocket watch in a pouch, just doesn't cut it with me either. Size is a consideration, too. There was recently a post on large watches on your wrist...well, you can't get too much bigger than a size 16 pocket watch on your wrist! So, a couple of weeks ago, I saw one of the newer silver conversion watches being offered and took the plunge. I arrived today and I am in awe of it!  I thought I would feel like I was wearing a lead weight in my wrist, or would look ridiculously oversized om my wrist. To my surprise, not at all! It is so comfortable with it's size 20 leather strap, that I quickly forgot that it is on my wrist !  I do think that the smaller-than-normal-compared-to-the-size- of-the-watch size of the strap gives the perception of it being smaller than it actually is.The case is gloss silver, with very sleek lines and lugs....very classy. The dial is original white porcelain dial, classic, and it has mineral glass front and  back. The movement is a 1909 three finger with gold gears and gold around each jewel . Now the good part...no usable watch case was purposely destroyed to create this new watch.....the movement was found uncased, then totally restored for this watch. My purpose for sharing this experience with you is not to ignite Frankenwatch opinions, but rather to tell you that this 68 year old, that wouldn't even think about wearing a 8 pound (weight ,not cost!)  gigantic Invicta watch from the mall on my wrist, is surprisingly really enjoying my new pocket watch on my wrist!

• Like 1

No brownie points because you forgot to add the most important thing. The picture! :bash:

I will agree with you on this one. One of the few acceptable exceptions. Getting a new case for a case-less movement.

Edited by gimli

My better half, is at at a yet- to-be born baby "reveal" party, and she takes the best pictures in the family. Gotta tell you what a "reveal" party is....not only does the future kid's mom get presents at a normal baby shower, but before that, a hall is rented, tons of friends show up with presents, for the sole purpose of opening up a sealed envelope in front of everyone, that shows the sonogram and" reveals" whether the baby is a boy or girl !! This has got to be a chick thing! Photo of the watch will be forthcoming when the lady of the house returns. Boy, times of changed. I wonder what would happen if I told her I wanted to rent a hall for everyone to see my newest watch when I first open the package!

• Haha 1

I heard about these "baby reveal" parties but I have to admit I just thought you gather your friends and family and tell them that it's a boy or a girl, or, if you live in the West, someone with "undecided" gender...

Living in a developing countries has its benefits sometimes... :whistle:

Personally, I don't have a problem with using a movement, case or dial that would otherwise go to waste in a new watch so long as if its sold/moved on its clearly advertised as such.  The problem with franken watches is when people throw in movements that are not the same as whats on the dial or redial a watch to make it something else (Like the old classic "Military" dials popular in India which more likely started off life as basic 3 handed dress type watches)

I have come across a few fob type movements being used in old "trench watch" (Read fixed spring bars or short spring bar watches with round cases) These often found in old silver cases and yes, I have come across a few pocket watch conversions using conventional pocket watch movements.  The main problem with both is they were never intended for wrist watches and so the movements can often be fragile to shock but I guess as long as you are delicate with then it shouldn't be a problem.

The Unitas movement is of course used in pocket watches and wrist watches (Tissot for one use them and Sinn have a sterling silver pocket watch using it too) Tourby use old Hamilton movements as do I think an American watch company. 

• Like 1

I actually love the idea of a pocket watch being converted into a wristwatch. But through gentler means in which no harm befalls the piece and its finish and structure remain unscathed. Such as utilizing a leather bund style strap with a snap down cover to hold it in place. Really cool look to boot.

5 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I actually love the idea of a pocket watch being converted into a wristwatch. But through gentler means in which no harm befalls the piece and its finish and structure remain unscathed. Such as utilizing a leather bund style strap with a snap down cover to hold it in place. Really cool look to boot.

Like this ?

11.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ted said:

The movement is a 1909 three finger with gold gears and gold around each jewel .

from the OP - don't see the connection to the 3603 ?????

17 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

The Molnija 3603 pocket watch movement has shock protection and is also very durable.

48 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

The Molnija 3603 pocket watch movement has shock protection and is also very durable.

53003bmp.jpg

Juri is one of the few sellers still about that sells watches with this movement after they were discontinued a few years back (By few sellers I mean ones that have clean movements in new cases, dials etc and not looking like a dogs breakfast)  You can find a Molnija pocket watch for little money though on ebay amongst other places though I have not come across anything decorated other than what presumably are painted rather than blued screws.  Unitas on the other hand are a whole different thing.

This is one picture,anyway. Still waiting on the wife to add more. Meanwhile, if you want to see the back, go to ebay USA , Advanced search, completed, #272889680991. Great photos there. The guy is from Poland, he expertly restores the movement, does all the mechanical mounting(stem needs to be adapted and hole perfectly drilled). Wait till you see how great the movement looks!. I haven't taken this watch off since it arrived. The wife was supposed to put it away for Christmas. Nope! Shipping to US only took a week!

Thank you to all that posted other ways to mount these for wrist use.

22 minutes ago, Ted said:

This is one picture,anyway. Still waiting on the wife to add more. Meanwhile, if you want to see the back, go to ebay USA , Advanced search, completed, #272889680991. Great photos there. The guy is from Poland, he expertly restores the movement, does all the mechanical mounting(stem needs to be adapted and hole perfectly drilled). Wait till you see how great the movement looks!. I haven't taken this watch off since it arrived. The wife was supposed to put it away for Christmas. Nope! Shipping to US only took a week!

Thank you to all that posted other ways to mount these for wrist use.

So I take it its a full Elgin pocket watch (dial and movement) Or just the dial and different movement?  I am guessing its just a borrowed watch case the crown looks like one you would find on a pilots watch I would personally prefer an onion type crown on this type of watch than the diamond type on.  I have seen those on some of the Tourby watches and on some it looks ok on others I think it can ruin the look as it sticks out too far.  What is the strap width on this too and would be interested to see how it actually looks on the wrist it doesn't look so big in the photo you have posted.

Its certainly a nice concept and especially good you have used a movement and dial that would likely have gone to waste.  Rather than post the cost here if you wouldn't mind sending me a PM of the overall cost of the item I would be interested to know.

Original 1906 Elgin movement and dial, added to a commercially available case, but you need to be able to do the drilling and stem size adaption and it must be precisely done to work properly. I believe the stem is the one that comes with the case. I think most would prefer an onion type, too, but the case is so nice, especially with the mineral glass front and back, you take what is available, I guess. It works very smoothly. The strap is only 20mm, which helps with the perception of it being smaller than it actually is. As mentioned, it is so darn comfortable, I forget that I am wearing it. I have the large, original Bulova  Precisionist with the huge link band and when I wear it, I am much more aware of its size than this one. Do check out the original ebay listing I mentioned above for more pictures and details , if interested.I will PM you, too, Zen, as requested. Thanks. All I can say is I was pleasantly surprised and happy with it.

See, its really not that big on my wrist after all. My wrist diameter is 7 1/2 inches (oh, forgot, most of you are not from the Colonies) = a zillion or so millimeters. OK, I'll Google it to be a little more precise..............19.05cm. It's like 2am where you guys are and I'm getting replies!