• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Vitorinox

Victorinox Swiss Army Ambassador Automatic Watch

Hi Simon

I have a Victorinox Swiss Army Watch model 24150 which is a gift from my dad.
The crown broke at the end of stem whilst I was pulling it out to adjust the date (later discovered there was some rust here)

I went to the watchlab to ask for a quote to fix this and the guy (wearing a white coat) straight away said it will cost more than £200 and the watch needs to be sent away 4-8 weeks, adding that this is an initial quote and might go higher (all this even without looking at the watch) .... I felt that this is a bit of a rip off & looked into doing this somewhere else.

I am newbie to watch repairs and don't claim to have any knowledge of what I am doing but replacing the stem seemed as an easy task after watching few youtube videos.

I had a go at it & removed the stem, got a matching new stem & new crown but the new stem is not staying in and not engaging or not turning the date wheel ... I am assuming it's the locking mechanism pushed down too far when I removed the stem (I used a pin).
Proceeding further is out of my comfort zone to be honest.

25yvcxi.jpg

1z2hroo.png

I need help fixing this

Any advice on what to do?

Any recommendations on a good watch repair in London? (I live in new malden)

Any help is appreciated

10 hours ago, Vitorinox said:

Hi Simon

I have a Victorinox Swiss Army Watch model 24150 which is a gift from my dad.
The crown broke at the end of stem whilst I was pulling it out to adjust the date (later discovered there was some rust here)

I went to the watchlab to ask for a quote to fix this and the guy (wearing a white coat) straight away said it will cost more than £200 and the watch needs to be sent away 4-8 weeks, adding that this is an initial quote and might go higher (all this even without looking at the watch) .... I felt that this is a bit of a rip off & looked into doing this somewhere else.

I am newbie to watch repairs and don't claim to have any knowledge of what I am doing but replacing the stem seemed as an easy task after watching few youtube videos.

I had a go at it & removed the stem, got a matching new stem & new crown but the new stem is not staying in and not engaging or not turning the date wheel ... I am assuming it's the locking mechanism pushed down too far when I removed the stem (I used a pin).
Proceeding further is out of my comfort zone to be honest.

25yvcxi.jpg

1z2hroo.png

I need help fixing this

Any advice on what to do?

Any recommendations on a good watch repair in London? (I live in new malden)

Any help is appreciated

Pop up to Worcester Park and you will find Hendy's jewellers on the high st. Lots of people at my work have used them and rave on about how good they are. Also very reasonably priced.

• Like 1

A quick easy fix. Around £15 + p&p. if you have the crown and new stem. Shout if you need me. Love those guy's in their white coats. They  LOOK, so prefessional. !!!!!!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, simon2 said:

A quick easy fix. Around £15 + p&p. if you have the crown and new stem. Shout if you need me. Love those guy's in their white coats. They  LOOK, so prefessional. !!!!!!

Plenty of bovine excrement about Simon. :yes:

I personally prefer this attire.....

Image result for images of george daniels in his workshop

Although this is perfectly acceptable....

Image result for images of blancpain workshop

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 23:28, Craftycockney said:

Pop up to Worcester Park and you will find Hendy's jewellers on the high st. Lots of people at my work have used them and rave on about how good they are. Also very reasonably priced.

Sorry for the late reply ... relied on email notification but this did not happen for some reason.

Many thanks for your reply ... this is very close to where I live

On 11/6/2017 at 10:26, simon2 said:

Good to hear from you Simon and hope you're feeling better

Wow ... you just confirmed my suspicion about those white coats. 

• Like 1

If memory serves a 1.2mm screwdriver should be used to remove the stem in the hand setting position much less chance of the keyless works getting out of whack.

Hands and dial off will enable the keyless works to be reset.

Common issue with the 2824-2 movement.

Simon2 is highly recommended.

Edited by PC-Magician