• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watches You Are Watching / Considering

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After buying my gorgeous TW Steel Maverick a few weeks ago, for some inexplicable reason I became obsessed with buying another one, exactly the same model but with a black face instead of the cream on

Seiko Alpinist SBDC119 - 38mm and no internal compass bezel which will please @mach 0.0013137

I’ve never felt the necessity of having a diver in my collection. Until now. Being awkward, it will have to be something that not everyone has. So, particularly as I am a GO groupie, first choice

11 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I didn't even know they made this version, it's a cool looking version, beautiful dial, and I think I prefer it without the compass tbh.

It's a new model, just been released, they have also re-released an updated version of the traditional Alpinist

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

£600! :swoon:

If you think about it and study the spec, comparing it with what else is out there of similar quality (CW.etc) I don't think it's that bad, and @ 38 mm, one that would be on my shopping list.:yes:

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

If you think about it and study the spec, comparing it with what else is out there of similar quality (CW.etc) I don't think it's that bad, and @ 38 mm, one that would be on my shopping list.:yes:

I always wondered what the big deal was with the Alpinist, and then I noticed last week that a blue one had been released (a year ago...) and it stopped me in my tracks to be fair. 

• Like 1

I was considering an early 'Poljot' 3017 Strela.  For about 3 seconds.  Savings raided, bought and on the way - no longer considering a Speedy 125 :) 

RARE-wrist-Watch-STRELA-3017-CHRONOGRAPH-Vintage-Collectible-USSR-POLJOT

Serial number is right for an early model.  The gilded centre seconds is unusual - maybe a service replacement - (normally blued), but I'll keep it.

s-l1600.jpg

Crown is a bit misshapen, looks like excessive wear - I have a few Russian watches that definitely finished their tour!.

I already have a new dial, but fitting that is some way down the road, depending how well it survives the postal journey.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I always wondered what the big deal was with the Alpinist, and then I noticed last week that a blue one had been released (a year ago...) and it stopped me in my tracks to be fair. 

The green dial version works for me (older variant) 

81ThBb-KxAL._AC_UY550_.jpg

I don't normally like green dials and radial numbers, but it works here.

This one, I think has been spoiled by the cyclops and the X.

SPB121J1_29103641673825_jpg.jpg

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I always wondered what the big deal was with the Alpinist... 

Likewise!

Until someone, @LFB:yes:, posted some stunning 'real life' pictures of his acquisition.

I was smitten...

79kl2jP.jpg

Although known for my conservative tastes (generally), this is certainly one of my 'favourite' pieces!

:biggrin:

• Like 1
On 20/11/2017 at 20:09, Davey P said:

After buying my gorgeous TW Steel Maverick a few weeks ago, for some inexplicable reason I became obsessed with buying another one, exactly the same model but with a black face instead of the cream one on mine.  However, in the time it took me to advertise a couple of my Bulova watches on here to fund it, the seller decided to put their price up from £209 to £289.  I found out today that it's gone up again, to £299 :angry:

The one I want is this beauty, but I'm not paying almost double the amount I paid for the original, for what is basically the same watch:

tw-steel-twms11-maverick-wristwatch-p937

I only sold one of the Precisionists in the end anyway, so I did what any sensible person would do, and spent the money on a drum kit instead :laughing2dw:

Interesting, I looked back through this thread and I noticed this post ^ that I put on here on 20th November 2017.  I did end up getting the black dial TW Steel shown, and I've still got it (and the cream dial as well) :thumbsup:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Likewise!

Until someone, @LFB:yes:, posted some stunning 'real life' pictures of his acquisition.

I was smitten...

79kl2jP.jpg

Although known for my conservative tastes (generally), this is certainly one of my 'favourite' pieces!

:biggrin:

I bought a SARB 017, SARB 033, SARB 035, and a SARB 065 for the grandchildren (one each) I thought they might be worth something in 20 years time as totally unused all as full sets.

Who knows what they will be worth long term, but a little bit more interesting than just transferring some money into their bank accounts.

I have been really tempted to try them on, but I have managed to resist...so far.

• Like 1
On 26/10/2020 at 19:27, WRENCH said:

I can't claim to have studied the spec very closely but, apart from an upgraded movement, it doesn't seem to have changed much technologically from the SARB017, has fewer features, yet has more than doubled in price, funnily enough to around about the same as that which some Swiss brands are charging for their "field" watches.  That puts it right in the firing line of the Archimede Outdoor which, in my opinion, is a clear winner by virtue of its hardened case.  The Archimede is a watch I am (he added in order to stay on topic) watching/considering.

Apart from that @Karrusel keeps tempting/taunting me with pictures of the lovely Milus Snow Star and the Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope has been on my list for such a long time now that it's becoming an itch that I can no longer ignore and really must scratch.

• Like 1

I’m going to try for the Smiths Navigator next - but I’ve got a nasty feeling that the day it goes on sale I’ll have to be on a plane to Sweden - so I’ll miss out on the first batch

db15df79d646c2a28c24c3af41243958.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 26/10/2020 at 19:48, antjrice said:

Have you got a link to this, as I always liked the original blue Alpinist with 'sword' hands, sadly no longer available. Hate the current green version with 'gold' accents and cathedral handset...just doesn't go together properly...JMHO, you understand.

This is an original blue Alpinist and the one I want.

e27f50f881795aa6ad407bbb330d14d0.jpg

11 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Have you got a link to this, as I always liked the original blue Alpinist with 'sword' hands, sadly no longer available. Hate the current green version with 'gold' accents and cathedral handset...just doesn't go together properly...JMHO, you understand.

This is an original blue Alpinist and the one I want.

e27f50f881795aa6ad407bbb330d14d0.jpg

Here the link to what I saw although it seems to be a bit of a departure from the original:

https://www.watchgecko.com/the-seiko-alpinist-blue-limited-edition/

3 minutes ago, antjrice said:

Here the link to what I saw although it seems to be a bit of a departure from the original:

https://www.watchgecko.com/the-seiko-alpinist-blue-limited-edition/

Yeah....sadly, the silly handset ruins it...:sadwalk:

I'll keep looking for an original...much more desirable...:thumbsup:

20 hours ago, KAS118 said:

I’m going to try for the Smiths Navigator next - but I’ve got a nasty feeling that the day it goes on sale I’ll have to be on a plane to Sweden - so I’ll miss out on the first batch

db15df79d646c2a28c24c3af41243958.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!! That is very nice :0)