UK Watch Forum banner

Get it Off Your Chest.

2K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  RSR934 
#1 ·
What are the downsides to WISery ? It can't all be plain sailing, what are the hard bits for you.

For Me

Enough is never enough.

A sometimes misplaced fondness for useless cheapies ( ok Bond stop grinning).

A predilection for buying watches I won't bond with. Why do they look different online but more particularly in the jewellers?

An inability to downsize.

What are WISery Downs for you :whistle:

Cheers

#4 ·
yeh probably the fact prices have gone a bit daft...i remember Roy saying a while back that a while back before that you could get rolex dj's for example for £150 quid. In fact I think he said at one point you couldn't give them away (paraphrased). What are they now? £1,500? I have a friend with a Rolex Sub who was offered £1,800 quid for it by a prominent on line London retailer. So its not the enthusiasts like us who are driving up prices. Ok ok we can probably afford them but some how for me at least having something thats so valuable about my person even withstanding insurance some how negates a bit of the fun. Thats a personal view as i'm clumsy likely to break them lose them etc. So the escalation in prices has a direct and adverse impact on my carefree fun...why oh why can't they be like cars? I've got what 300 grands worth of motors on the drive none of them much over 10 years old all totally reliable all great fun and combined they cost me what 13 grand?...Had I paid a lot lot more I doubt i'd enjoy them as much...I'd still appreciate them as much and vis a vis as with the watches above...but enjoy them as much no. I think the internet age and central london prices have sent things a bit crazy so as borrowed money...everyone seems to have everything and own nothing...Fun is in bargains...and quality things but not at silly prices. I guess we can all have what ever we want at x quid a month and thats brought on silly prices ubiquity and a loss of fun. Not just in watches look at the other things people get ripped off for in the UK like property prices...all on borrowed money. I have a friend who deals in Antiques and buys from France to avoid silly prices here...I have a neighbour whose just bought a holiday home near the Pyrenees for 70k and its lovely...He is buying his furniture when he gets there because what we get sold as a 500 quid oak antique bed, chest wardrobe or whatever is about a fiver down there....All good fun. I guess this butterfly I'm crushing on the wheel of my pragmatism is a plea for a return to reality...We are only making the banks rich on lent repaid interest with these high prices. Bring back the days of the 150 quid dj and lets have more fun with them? Another example is ' :biggrin: classic' car prices...

#6 ·
Biggest wisery not getting all my digitals to the exact time each or a few seconds apart even. Press a wrong button and the seconds reset to "0". :( Scrolling through many cities and then missing London and usually it happens twice. :angry: Temptation and addiction, when I see a watch I like I research it everywhere and usually bore people around me telling them oh and look for You Tube videos with it. :yes:

#9 ·
Seeing temptation in every watch dealers window. Not having enough money. Having too many but bring unable to sell any. Wondering why so much cash is tied up in watches.

Then realising one actually likes ones collection for all its variety and cost so things don't look so bad after all.

#19 ·
Self proclaimed so called wis experts who with a quick bit of google are exposed as tinternet charlatans who really know f@ck all about f@ck all.

There have been a few passed by here

:laugh: :laugh:

#21 ·
There's always another grail watch out there.... (Though I seem to have come to the end with acquisition of homages to vintage Rollie 6538 adn 6542 models.) Still in love with the old grail, but happy to own it and now lusting for something else... Other people call it "obsession." (cue Annie Lennox)

Oh, and the other WIS who like peeing on small brands or other people's tastes. On WUS, there is a band of idiots who continually follow the Mk II forum, making wise acre remarks about long waits for project watches (which are custom watches, designed from the start by plank owner investors), but have never held or owned one. Some have even been banned for repeated behavior that his proscribed from the sponsored forum. ... I don't get it! :huh: Why waste your time in snarking and sniping at a brand you don't want to own? It must be ... an obsession. Or sport?

Reactions: RWP
#24 ·
Here's one you probably recognize. I was watching Michael Mann's The Insider in a theater in 1999ish, and admiring the cool nouveau safari jacket/parka that Al Pacino is wearing in the beginning, and then later in a scene in Berkeley or NYC. Then I see the pocket on the back. :huh: Realize the costumer had used a Willis & Geiger Summer Field Parka, with the color bleached a little, the very same jacket I had draped on the seat in front of me at the Rafael Theater in San Rafael. Cool. :clap:

I'm watching episodes of Sherlock on streaming, and from time to time I see ... my car. Well, a silver Honda Euro Accord, the CL9, the same that I drive here rebadged as an Acura TSX (I took off the two extraneous badges, though). Seeing one's own car in a movie or telly show is startling, i'n' it?

From time to time I see a film with characters getting on or off a midsize corporate jet, and my sixth sense kicks in, and I think, "Wait, I know that plane." Yep, sure, it's a Falcon 20, what I spent some 1200 flight hours flying in, pre- and post-flighting, not to mention probably twice as many hours working in and around. Kind of like seeing your own bedroom, you just know it on sight.

I was watching Chance with Hugh Laurie (one of your national treasures, amirite?) on Hulu, it takes place in my hometown of San Francisco. Seeing locations familiar to me is nothing new when you grew up in the old part of the city. But there's a scene in a cafe and I instantly felt "at home." Yep, Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store Cafe at 566 Columbus Ave, 2 blocks from home. Spent many hours there. Same when watching Bullitt with Steve McQueen, I'd never noticed before the blu-ray that the signature car chase goes right past the North Beach Public Library branch on Mason St a block from home, then guns into action on Chestnut at Columbus, in front of Bimbo's 365, my own street.

... YOu know where we're headed. You're watching a movie or tv show at home. You stop the film. You rewind. You hoot with glee that you recognize a watch a character is wearing, or you recognize your own watch on the wrist of a character. Those around you are confounded. Who cares? How could you possibly have recognized it? It's like some form of dementia. That happened to me when watching Commando with Schwarzenegger. The gag watch for closeups was a mockup with digital countdown timer (the real Seiko H558 didn't do that), but the watch he wore for most of that film, and in Raw Deal, and in Predator, was the same watch I bought at the USCG TraCen Cape May post exchange store when I graduated from Basic Training, and wore throughout my career as my primary work watch. I dont' think other aficionados experience this, well car nuts probably do, but ... anyone else? I doubt it. "It's a WIS thing, you wouldn't understand."

20141115-0802_nassau_flightjacket_hu25pi

Reactions: Caller. and RWP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.