• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Stuno1

Watch re-finishing question.

I have bought the below for the states jobs. Any do’s or dont’s I need to be aware doing it for the first time?

- Green scotch brite pad for stainless steel brushed finish.

- Red scotch brite pad for titanium brushed finish.

- cape cod cloth for steel polished finish.

stu

Those all work fine. Although they used to make a brush pen that made it very easy to obtain a perfect brushed finish. Not sure where to find them anymore.

• Like 2

Would the pen not only work on small areas and sonnake the brushed effect look a bit odd? 

The red looks to be the finer grain. Why would I not use red in steel? Is there a reason. What i state in my first post is what I have read elsewhere. 

Edited by Stuno1

@Stuno1 See if you can get some off cuts of materials you wish to polish etc. This way you can practice without running the risk of damaging something precious or valuable. Kitchen "magic erasers" are also good for certain applications.

0fd63a62-3081-4cfa-bf49-f25c61e05832.jpg

and oven cleaner applied with a damp toothbrush. Just make sure you always try anything out on something else first. You can buy offcuts of various metals reasonably cheap off amazon eBay etc.

20564_1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

Those all work fine. Although they used to make a brush pen that made it very easy to obtain a perfect brushed finish. Not sure where to find them anymore.

What about a fibre glass pen?? Or would this be too harsh for a brushed finish???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modelcraft-PBU1019-1-Glass-Pencil/dp/B002Z8IX36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512747480&sr=8-1&keywords=fibre+glass+pen

I would suggest practicing on scrap cases and bracelets for at least a few weeks before lettting yourself loose on anything of value. The skill is in taking off only the metal that is necessary.

A poorly finished case just looks horrendous, especially those where the sharp edges have been rounded. You will need something to mask off areas which you don't want 'finished'.

Update! My wife has been wearing her longines every day for three years and it has taken a barttering which is fine. Just figured if I could make it look good then why not. Clearly this is not something I will be doing a lot as I appreciate it ruins the watch to keep taking off metal. 

I decided to make her bracelet brushed as opposed to having the polished centre links. The edges will be polished when the cap cod pad arrives. As such the bracelet will look like my aqua Terra one. So I used the red scotch brite pad to see how it would go and to be honest we are both very pleased with the result.

Before:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PQ1PTTW6yfqxUIRC2

After:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/k0xCTTWkYoWbtviu1

Stu

• Like 1

On 08/12/2017 at 14:50, WRENCH said:

@Stuno1 See if you can get some off cuts of materials you wish to polish etc. This way you can practice without running the risk of damaging something precious or valuable. Kitchen "magic erasers" are also good for certain applications.

0fd63a62-3081-4cfa-bf49-f25c61e05832.jpg

and oven cleaner applied with a damp toothbrush. Just make sure you always try anything out on something else first. You can buy offcuts of various metals reasonably cheap off amazon eBay etc.

20564_1

But not your teeth!:)

10 hours ago, RSR934 said:

But not your teeth!:)

Duraglit works fine if you can stand the aftertaste. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

For the mirror finish you could also invest in some diamond polishing paste, it comes in various "grits" right down to less than 1 micron but beware of the cheap ebay stuff it's worth paying a bit extra.

Using a small mop on a dremel or similar gets the best results and you can also get it in a suspension with a lubricant so you don't burnish the the finish by over heating.

We used this stuff, as said not cheap but the results were worth it.

diamond-compound-diamond-paste.jpg

:)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Duraglit works fine if you can stand the aftertaste. :laughing2dw:

As a kid, I remember many a summers day polishing the chrome wheels an my Raleigh Chopper with Duraglit. Fond memories.:)

• Like 1