• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Mikey0086

Aluminum time?

Hi, I have a vintage timex with an aluminum case, question 1, what is the year made, question 2, how do I open it? No obvious seams on back for a case knife, so I'm at a loss, thanks in advance for your time in answering!

Let's do the easy answer first - - it's a one piece case, the movement comes out through the front, you need a crystal lift to take out the crystal, then you finagle the innards out. :tumbleweed:

Now the harder part - - without a picture, hard to give definitive answers. AND, why do you want to open it?

Welcome to RLT forum!

Meant to add, date will likely be around 1960's - - do NOT attempt to open this watch without the proper tools and/or knowledge, noting that the alloy is very soft and doesn't improve with age.

Get back to me on the forum before doing any damage! (You can't send a PM as a new member - - sorry) :thumbsup:

You're right there dear Mel about aluminium. On the face of it, aluminium must have seemed like a Godsend to watchmakers, and indeed, during the first phase of aluminium production items such as jewellery were highly prized and expensive. Ultimately, of course, the price of aluminium plummeted when cheap forms of obtaining the metal were discovered, and aluminium as a material revealed its flaws. As you mentioned, the metal is generally rather soft, which is a pity because in its untreated pure form, it is protected from much environmental corrosion due to the thin layer of oxide that forms over its surface. In practise, aluminium is not the easiest of metals, either alone or in alloys. Being highly reactive, it is prone to crevice corrosion and pitting, and one has to be very careful in designing say, an aluminium-cased watch, about what materials are actually in contact with or covering the metal. Today's advanced science of alloys has produced some very useful alloys that contain aluminium; nevertheless, forming alloys based on aluminium is still sometimes beset by the adage of robbing Peter to pay Paul in that required strength, toughness and workability can be achieved only at the expense of increased corrosion and decreased durability.:)

6 hours ago, mel said:

Meant to add, date will likely be around 1960's - - do NOT attempt to open this watch without the proper tools and/or knowledge, noting that the alloy is very soft and doesn't improve with age.

Get back to me on the forum before doing any damage! (You can't send a PM as a new member - - sorry) :thumbsup:

Amen brother

19 hours ago, vinn said:

Amen brother

@vinn and @Always"watching" - - the other possible worry is the lume in some of these can be the older "active ingredient" stuff, and soooo! opening up willy-nilly is not recommended! :cursed:

If'n it ain't broke, don't try fixin' it! :swoon:

Timex began to produce aluminium cased watches in 1959 - 1960. These models are powered by V-Conic M22 movements.

In the provided picture I have include the original package that Timex sent out b y Timex along with instructions.

What is most important to know is that crown must be unscrewed from the stem.   Once removed from the case you may find an ink stamp inside that will indicate the year of production.

Other than that, Timex did not add another printing or etching to help id the models.  So you will have to provide a picture for other to help id the model and year.

file.php?id=22081

• Like 1

Thankyou JM, aka JerseyMo - - Mikey (original Posting), you may want to try a contact with JerseyMo, as I believe he maybe still does accept some outside work and the advantage to yourself is there isn't a big OCEAN between you.

The problem is you can't send him a PM with your e-mail address either, as you are a new member. He maybe still does have a Vintage Watch Forum on the Network 54 forum system that you can contact him from - - the other option is you both send me your e-mail and I swap them out to each of you? Use

keepersATbluyonder.co.uk

if you want to try this, substitute-ing @ for AT of course, I'll see what I can do. No email addresses will be spindled, folded or mutilated during this operation :crazy5vh:

JM. - - could do with a current e-mail address anyway for you please!

"Mel" how - u - doin?   Sorry to say, my time spent on repairs is limited to my own collection that I sell or keep for myself or give to fellow Timexicans.  My email is the same as it has been from the old N54 days.  But, I'll drop you a note from there just so you have it available to you. 

Take Care my friend :)