• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Strive

Help Design a Kickstarter Watch. Rayanni - Opinions Needed!

Hey everyone!

I have some renderings for a new watch brand I'm starting up and I need your feedback on it.

Our Kickstarter will probably be at about $195, and at $295 USD for retail. Not trying to “disrupt the industry” or anything like that. Just want to provide great customer service (hopefully amazon.com levels of awesomeness), a unique experience, while cramming in the highest quality materials I can fit in our price range.

Current specs:

- Seiko NH35a automatic movement

- Sapphire crystal

- Italian leather

- Applied Indices

- Interchangeable straps

- Lifetime guarantee on manufacturing defects

- 40mm diameter

At this price range do you guys think this is something you'd want? What are some things I can add or take away from the watch to make it better?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If you look closely enough, you'll see that the seconds hand is actually a key. The display case can only be unlocked by the key we provide in the packaging. We wanted to create a complete luxury experience when unboxing this, and thought that was a unique way to make it feel like it's special. The seconds hand is an homage to that.

LjkqPZd.png

MfogecR.png

crHJ9uo.jpg

GziCo4q.png

GCaLxMN.jpg

mjM5YYM.jpg

Jf2lVAv.png

tcJ7xal.png

jAcdVuV.png

• Like 1

Well that’s rather nice, very clean and elegant. Beautiful dial and I love the shape of the date window. Nice use of a lugless head, but how would one change the straps? I don’t see a way to remove the strap from the rear shot - or will there be micro screws on there?

Rose gold would be preferable to yellow gold currently in my opinion given the fashion of rose gold phones, and perhaps darker hands and markers against the pale dial. I know it’s a dress watch but the contrast would help some of us. 

Overall though it’s lovely, spot on price wise. Good work. 

Should just add... I love the key idea. Very thoughtful. 

Edited by Filterlab

@Filterlab Thank you! Appreciate the compliments. The rear shot is out of date, but is the only render I had (it still says swiss movement because we were originally going to go Ronda, but I wanted it to be automatic.) We're using quick-release straps, so you can just pull the pin of the strap and change them that way.

There's also a bronze colored version of the case which is fairly close to rose gold, just don't have a good render for it yet. A lot of the feedback I've gotten for it has been mixed. Some people like it, while others find it boring and uninteresting. There have been some consistency to it though: most people think there should be a range of colors for the dials, possibly add some texture to it, and the crown needs to change.

I don't know exactly how I'm going to change it just yet, but I do really appreciate your feedback! Also, thank you for not lampooning me for being "just another KS watch" haha, as I do genuinely just want to make a nice piece that newbies and collectors alike can enjoy.

I like the crown myself, that knurled finish is lovely, as is the shape. Gives some nice grip too. Perhaps you could emulate the knurling that’s on the crown on to the dial, that would give it more texture. It would detract from the key-shaped seconds hand though and that would be a shame. The plain dial really causes the eye to be drawn to the seconds hand. 

Definitely with you on the automatic movement. I just wouldn’t consider a quartz as there’s no elegance to one, except the UHF or Spring Drive types. The smoother tick is definitely a must. It’s a lovely piece mate, very nice  

If you have enough positive comments then go with it, you can’t please all the people all the time! 

I'd certainly look into buying one, the price point sounds spot on. I'm personally not usually a fan of the "bar" instead of lugs for the straps but you can't please everyone.

I agree about the textured dial taking away from the second hand as it's the kind of signature design feature. And on a dress watch I don't think you can go wrong with a plain white dial.

I love the box, it looks perfect. The box inside a box, the metal trimmings on the corners and the key are all features that would sell it for me.

@Primaxuk @Ben Shaw Thanks for the feedback guys! I don't really have a timetable just yet because I'm still unsure of what, if anything, I'm going to change about the watch. Feedback has been mixed and I can't really afford to spend $20-30k and be wrong about what people want. Even starting a kickstarter costs a lot of money with getting the campaign set up, advertising, etc.

So initial samples should be coming in January, if everything is good and I get enough feedback from people who actually want it, I'll move forward to production. That should take about 75 days from when I order to when they arrive. I'll definitely be popping back in here every so often to check in and mingle :) 

I'll be following this one, I like the watch. It may be worth considering altering the lugs to standard lugs and thinking about a bracelet - that is a big attraction to a lot of people (myself definitely included) who prefer a bracelet. Granted that'll put up the costs of development which you may not want, but it's a good selling point. The only thing that stopped me from ordering one of the new CW Moon Phase pieces was the lack of a proper integrated bracelet.

Good luck chap!

14 hours ago, Filterlab said:

I'll be following this one, I like the watch. It may be worth considering altering the lugs to standard lugs and thinking about a bracelet - that is a big attraction to a lot of people (myself definitely included) who prefer a bracelet. Granted that'll put up the costs of development which you may not want, but it's a good selling point. The only thing that stopped me from ordering one of the new CW Moon Phase pieces was the lack of a proper integrated bracelet.

Good luck chap!

Thanks Filter! Definitely something to consider. I went with wire lugs for the time being because I like the vintage look they bring and you don't see them on watches as much as you would standard lugs. But, if it ends up more people prefer the standard then I'll change them.

I'll definitely be going to standard lugs on future designs if this one is successful! Already have a few ideas in mind but don't want to count any chickens before they hatch. Appreciate your support :) 

• Like 1