• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Steve D UK

Have I got/do I need a beater and if so, recommendations please.

I have two watches. A recently acquired Speedmaster ‘57 and a Tag Aquaracer I’ve had for 6 years. The Tag's not been on my wrist since I got the Omega. 

Since getting the Omega, I’ve been very careful with it - removing it when I wash my hands, washing up the odd cup, changing a battery on our car, doing odd manual jobs. Maybe because it’s new but I never removed the Tag for any of those things. I never wore the Tag to work though but I would like a work watch as I feel like something is missing nowdays when I’m not wearing a watch - the same feeling I get when I leave home without my mobile. 

The Tag will probably only get worn when I go on holiday - I do like a swim, sea and pool, but I don’t think I’d chance the Omega in water, it’s not really a dive watch. 

The Tag is probably too good for work - or is it? Its aquired a few scratches over the years (not the glass) and it’s been relegated to second best in my collection of two, perhaps it could be used for work - I do mechanical training on cars and carry out general repairs.

If not, any suggestions for a suitable work watch - still got £270 left over from my birthday Money. 

Right, watch off, let’s get those weeds raked out from between the bricks on the drive............

Edited by Steve D UK

do you want to wear a watch when hands on at work ? if so buy a casio of some sort and trash it.

though it sounds like you generally take your watch off when doing the manual stuff.  so perhaps you could use your tag as a daily wear and take it off when you pick up a spanner.

• Like 2

I'd say yep. I usually wear my gshock, one of my Seiko's, the Vostok amphibian or the MDE diver when I'm gardening, decorating, cleaning cars or doing any kind of manual/mechanical stuff. More often than not its the gshock. Stops me damaging the good stuff or stuff with sentimental value. Saying that the Seiko titanium sq50 was my only watch for a long time and worn for everything.:thumbs_up: as can be seen by its "patina". Some great deals to be had on vostoks and gshocks and well within your budget:clap:

MDE diver - same as Divex, apeks etc

large.image.jpeg.b09e76ce6ec1b6465e411893c8b0e4e5.jpeg

Seiko Land shark 

large.image.jpeg.e44ff247197252391db83c1df306b770.jpeg

The mighty Vostok 

large.image.jpeg.e9141cb48b1fb338108e5be08a6c5912.jpeg

Seiko titanium sq50

large.image.jpeg.695720affce1c49a2181908a24de90f5.jpeg

Old faithful gshock glide

large.DSCN0178.JPG.fc58d5ce72a2ed7ca9383ccc4b2cf4b0.JPG

• Like 2

Was also going to suggest a G-shock although I doubt you'd be able to change a headlight bulb with it on! 

• Haha 1

For some people..........

A Rolex is a beater.!!!         (not me though!).

I dont like g-shocks...so for me...a beater would be a Seiko of some sort..

Saying that, I usually remove most of my watches when Im "doing something"!......as Im the worlds most cack handed guy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve D UK said:

I’m liking the G Shocks. :thumbsup:

Casio G-Shock Black Cloth DW 5600BBN 1ER

cas-dw-5600bbn-1erdet2.jpg

81g2KsUwm3L._UY589_.jpg

£80/ish

Blue on Amazon. Green from Heinnie Hayes.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steve D UK said:

Nice, but cloth strap + grease + oil is not a good combo! 

blue-polythene-gauntlets_13634.jpg

:laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Every collection needs a g shock lean mean bullet proof machines lol , great beater I wore my g shock everyday as a mechanic and it's still going strong 

• Like 1

Cloth straps can be cleaned, either hand washed in the sink, or thrown in a sock bag and included in clothes washing.

If you remove your Omega just to watch your hands, then a beater may not be the problem. Read up on wabi-sabi. A watch naturally acquires some wear. Washing is not going to hurt your watch unless you’re using some full immersion technique.

Need a beater still? A Seiko or Seiko 5 will do the trick. Or a Steinhart. Or an Invicta even (quality Japanese movement in some not-so-bad looks).

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn’t do any mechanical work in any watch as the spaces are so small in engine bays. If you want to I would buy a g-shock. 

• Like 2

You've obviously designated the tag as second class already, just stick with it, seeing as it gets no use anymore anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I tend to agree with @JayDeep. The everyday watch (aka "beater") needs to be a cheap disposable item (e.g. G-Shock) only if you spend your days operating a Kango Hammer, or you are ridiculously accident prone. 

I think a "beater" should be a watch you can feel good about wearing, but not necessarily your "favourite" watch (as an everyday watch will inevitably get the occasional minor ding).

Sounds as though, with your TAG, you already have exactly that  --  so you could designate that as your beater, and put the funds you might have set aside for a beater towards your next purchase for love.

Life is too short not to wear a nice watch :thumbsup:

• Like 1

As s beater, g shocks take some beating. Id go with the turtle though as @gimli suggests or possibly a samurai. Its a shame the tag wont see much action as its still a great watch even if it does fall in the shadow of the speedy. Some rotation is in order.

• Like 1

74c61516f7ae8c831f5b11e14f94b98a.jpg
This and £70 change from your £270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Very close to buying one of these. Used to have a NATO PVD. What is the quality like? Looks really good in your photo, particularly like the Blue dial.

I purchased the LE MS17 one also and sold it on because I preferred this one... The blue is really nice I bought mine once I started seeming the pics of the blue

The quality is spot on Paul is a watch enthusiast also so it shows through in his watches

• Like 1