Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
fv43576

My first Smith chime clock, need a help

Recommended Posts

Hi & Happy New Year everyone.

I am new of this forum, my brother bought me a Christmas present is a clock build by Smiths of Enfield Ltd & Co. Made in England and a code is stamp at back is F3A6412. I am not anquites expert but I need some help. When I'm winding on Christmas day it only last three days not 7 days, the right hole for movement is winding at clockwise but it turn round very short like a half turn till it stop me from winding is this normal or it should be more turn than a half? it chime 5 times at 12 but it chime once at 1,2,3 is this normal?

What you think roughly how old is this 1947? I have reading a very little history about this Clock start business in Pretoria Road, London in 1932 till after the WWII it have moved to Cricklewood Works, Edgware Road then moved again at Wales is that right info?, I want like to know if my clock is made in London or Wales?

I try to paste my picture it won't loading, found same one on link https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=smiths+enfield+clock&num=100&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg65PtvKrYAhWjIsAKHSIUBDQQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=674#imgrc=PYw5Jv3rkS1pbM:

and

https://www.google.co.uk/search?dcr=0&biw=1366&bih=674&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=_bdDWo2YJOXAgAaWjaLwCQ&q=smiths+enfield+chime&oq=smiths+enfield+chime&gs_l=psy-ab.3...70156.71181.0.71387.5.3.0.2.2.0.102.274.2j1.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.238...0j0i67k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.0.nHev2OGm7Nc#imgrc=RrubIU6bo0UxRM:

appreciate if any answer thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The least your clock needs is a full service and 2 new mainsprings.  Would offer to repair it for you, but depends how near you are. They don't travel in the post, well. Shout if you need me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the day, SMITHS were a huge big company, and had many more manufacturing bases than you might think, in various parts of the UK. They made Clocks in Scotland, Wales and England, watches in England and Wales, plus Time Switches, Spark Plugs, Automotive Instruments, Nautical and Aeronautical parts and stuff I signed the Official Secrets Act about when I worked for them.

They also made almost all of all of their parts inventories "in house" right down to having their own printing works that produced Warranty Cards and Instructions Manuals and so on. You may find a paper label inside the clock case that will detail the actual plant/works the clock was produced in.

As Simon says (Oooh yes! I know Simon! you've heard it before) these tend to travel badly, so your best bet is to find an independent watchmaker like Simon to have a look at it, but local to where you live. Let the forum know where you are, and someone may know a good watchie to help!.

On 27/12/2017 at 22:44, simon2 said:

The least your clock needs is a full service and 2 new mainsprings.  Would offer to repair it for you, but depends how near you are. They don't travel in the post, well. Shout if you need me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 07:13, fv43576 said:

Hi & Happy New Year everyone.

I am new of this forum, my brother bought me a Christmas present is a clock build by Smiths of Enfield Ltd & Co. Made in England and a code is stamp at back is F3A6412. I am not anquites expert but I need some help. When I'm winding on Christmas day it only last three days not 7 days, the right hole for movement is winding at clockwise but it turn round very short like a half turn till it stop me from winding is this normal or it should be more turn than a half? it chime 5 times at 12 but it chime once at 1,2,3 is this normal?

What you think roughly how old is this 1947? I have reading a very little history about this Clock start business in Pretoria Road, London in 1932 till after the WWII it have moved to Cricklewood Works, Edgware Road then moved again at Wales is that right info?, I want like to know if my clock is made in London or Wales?

I try to paste my picture it won't loading, found same one on link https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=smiths+enfield+clock&num=100&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg65PtvKrYAhWjIsAKHSIUBDQQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=674#imgrc=PYw5Jv3rkS1pbM:

and

https://www.google.co.uk/search?dcr=0&biw=1366&bih=674&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=_bdDWo2YJOXAgAaWjaLwCQ&q=smiths+enfield+chime&oq=smiths+enfield+chime&gs_l=psy-ab.3...70156.71181.0.71387.5.3.0.2.2.0.102.274.2j1.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.238...0j0i67k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.0.nHev2OGm7Nc#imgrc=RrubIU6bo0UxRM:

appreciate if any answer thanks

 

 

post into " the galery"   vin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mel said:

Back in the day, SMITHS were a huge big company, and had many more manufacturing bases than you might think, in various parts of the UK. They made Clocks in Scotland, Wales and England, watches in England and Wales, plus Time Switches, Spark Plugs, Automotive Instruments, Nautical and Aeronautical parts and stuff I signed the Official Secrets Act about when I worked for them.

They also made almost all of all of their parts inventories "in house" right down to having their own printing works that produced Warranty Cards and Instructions Manuals and so on. You may find a paper label inside the clock case that will detail the actual plant/works the clock was produced in.

As Simon says (Oooh yes! I know Simon! you've heard it before) these tend to travel badly, so your best bet is to find an independent watchmaker like Simon to have a look at it, but local to where you live. Let the forum know where you are, and someone may know a good watchie to help!.

 

did  you work with radium dials?  don't answer if its classified.  vin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vinn said:

did  you work with radium dials?  don't answer if its classified.  vin

No, by that time (when I worked with SMITHS ) the dangers were more or less known about. A company (local to Edinburgh) at the time also worked on avionics dials and had unknowingly dumped a load of discontinued but finished dials, cost them a fortune to recover them and have them disposed of properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...