• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Seiko SKX009 K or J?

I think my next one is going to be the SKX009 but I'm undecided whether to just get the K or pay a little bit more for the Made in Japan version. It's a bit harder (and probably more risky) to source but is it worth it?

The main differences as I can work out are the '21 Jewels' and the 'Made in Japan' on the face.

So is the J model more desirable to a collector or does it not matter?

Edited by Wheelnut69

First of all, this is not a collector watch. Everyone can get one and since there have been so many made and sold I doubt that anyone would want to "collect" one in the following decades...

I've researched the K vs J thing myself and I can't seem to find definitive info about whether it's worth it or not. Not to mention that I've read somewhere that not all Seikos with J in them are Japan made. At least not some that were made years/decades ago.

Since it's a cheap low/end watch I'd just go for the cheap one, honestly.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, gimli said:

First of all, this is not a collector watch. Everyone can get one and since there have been so many made and sold I doubt that anyone would want to "collect" one in the following decades...

Yeah, sorry. Not the best turn of phrase. I meant desirable from a point of view as an item in a personal collection, rather than a later monetary value iyswim.

I remember seeing a Youtube video a while back where someone compared the 2 side by side. The differences were VERY subtle, and I'm sure some of the differences were entirely in the man's imagination - much like some hi-fi reviewers.

I think it might be this one: 

• Like 2

There’s no difference really. People will tell you the J is best but honestly they both (J&K) have the exact same quality control. So if you looking for kudos and a willingness to pay more go J otherwise get a K and you’ll be very happy I can promise that. 

10 minutes ago, Velizark0 said:

Go J mate... 

It says made in Japan :)

My sarb033 says made in Japan, open the caseback and you’ll see case made in China. 

This Swiss made and Japan made uses specific laws to be able to say such things. I don’t know the ins and outs off the top of my head but basically say a certain % was made and sourced in Japan and rest in China it could still say made in Japan. 

• Like 2

I can only speak from my own experience but.... I've got several Seiko divers, the majority being J models. I've got a PADI Turtle that's a K and the same watch but a J model. I can attest to differences between my sole K and its J counterpart but for all I know it could be luck of the draw? For instance on the K model the bezel insert is slightly misaligned and the bezel is very loose/easy to rotate. Its bob on on the J model and it's stiffer. The crystal on the K model looks ever so slightly 'cloudier' than the J.

That said I bought a SKX011J that arrived with the infamous misaligned chapter ring (it's not actually the chapter ring that's out, it's the face/movement moving slightly when you screw down the crown which makes it look like the chapter ring has moved). 

Personally I go with the J models where I can but that's because I tend to buy my Seiko's online and don't have the chance to compare before buying. 011 apart I've not had issues with the J's but based on my one and only K model I know which one I'll be buying next.

In the SKX line I like the '21 jewels' on the dial. I know it doesn't sound much but it is an aesthetic consideration. If you go grey market you can pick either up for cheap; from memory the J is only £20 more than the K where I go. 

• Like 2

I did find this piece on Google once when researching the same thing....can't vouch for its accuracy though. This is just copied and pasted exactly as I found it.

Seiko J1 and K1 models

FAQ:         What's the difference between Seiko J1 models and the K1 models.

The J1 models are for the Far and Middle East markets. They have the days in English and Arabic. They have to say ‘Made in Japan’ on the face. Some have a rubber strap, others have a bracelet. The J1 models often have a shorter bracelet to suit the smaller wrist of that market place.

The K1 models are for the European market and they have the days in English and French/Spanish. Again, they can come with a rubber strap, or a bracelet, but for the European market, they have the full size bracelet.

There is absolutely no difference in build quality.

• Like 2