Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Rarities you know about or are after?


mel
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here's a topic to help those in search of rarities or grails. Even the humblest watches have "rare" models that don't come up to often.

southampton.jpgtimexshpton.jpg

so here's one to look out for. It's a TIMEX Southampton - - flyback Chrono using the pusher on the upper right quadrant of the dial. Not  lot were ever made by TIMEX standards, and even fewer survive. There is an even harder to find black dial version, not as attractive IMO, as you all know, that's never Humble! :yes:

Nothing complicated, it houses a standard but slightly modified movement which is supposed to reset the seconds hand to zero using the pusher. It would seem lots were scrapped when this part stopped working? Dates from around the fifties. Really just a kind of stopwatch function. If you ever see one, or indeed have one, I would appreciate a heads up! :thumbs_up:

So those who have some special knowledge of ANY make and model that is a real rareity rather than a hyped up rareity, how about posting a picture to help us all, and maybe someone will spot your grail for you? :tumbleweed:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to find a white dialled Seiko Sea Urchin to complete my set of the rarer colours...but sadly, probably won't happen due to their scarcity.

Image result for seiko sea urchin white dial

I'd also like the Seiko  blue 'Frankenmonster' (very rare) and the fabled orange version (rocking horse poo) to go with my yellow version.

Image result for Seiko frankenmonster

Image result for Seiko frankenmonster orange

...and if an original SS Bulova Accutron 'Spaceview' (not a converted one) in the square 'TV' style case came along, I'd be very interested.

Image result for Bulova Accutron spaceview

Pretty sure I'll think of some more.......:yes:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mel said:

Here's a topic to help those in search of rarities or grails. Even the humblest watches have "rare" models that don't come up to often.

southampton.jpgtimexshpton.jpg

so here's one to look out for. It's a TIMEX Southampton - - flyback Chrono using the pusher on the upper right quadrant of the dial. Not  lot were ever made by TIMEX standards, and even fewer survive. There is an even harder to find black dial version, not as attractive IMO, as you all know, that's never Humble! :yes:

Nothing complicated, it houses a standard but slightly modified movement which is supposed to reset the seconds hand to zero using the pusher. It would seem lots were scrapped when this part stopped working? Dates from around the fifties. Really just a kind of stopwatch function. If you ever see one, or indeed have one, I would appreciate a heads up! :thumbs_up:

So those who have some special knowledge of ANY make and model that is a real rareity rather than a hyped up rareity, how about posting a picture to help us all, and maybe someone will spot your grail for you? :tumbleweed:

The only year of production was 1958.  and yes I have both the black and white dial version.  Somewhere I do recall having the instruction sheet.  Now that is even more rare than the watch!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

The only year of production was 1958.  and yes I have both the black and white dial version.  Somewhere I do recall having the instruction sheet.  Now that is even more rare than the watch!

Oh - - I just knew you would have both JM, but then again - - :whistle: that means the next one you see will be mine!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I would like to find a white dialled Seiko Sea Urchin to complete my set of the rarer colours...but sadly, probably won't happen due to their scarcity.

Image result for seiko sea urchin white dial

I'd also like the Seiko  blue 'Frankenmonster' (very rare) and the fabled orange version (rocking horse poo) to go with my yellow version.

Image result for Seiko frankenmonster

Image result for Seiko frankenmonster orange

...and if an original SS Bulova Accutron 'Spaceview' (not a converted one) in the square 'TV' style case came along, I'd be very interested.

Image result for Bulova Accutron spaceview

Pretty sure I'll think of some more.......:yes:

You had your chance with the white one , not seen it on here since I sold it .:OyVey:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is worth noting that rare does not always mean valuable, something with very small supply can still be inexpensive if there isn't a demand.  This can be the case with obscure models that most are unaware of or limited additions with no particular appeal or devalued by being in a plethora of similar limited additions.

I bought this 1924 Rolex extra-prima relatively cheaply, and am convinced that it is pretty rare.  Trying to research its value I could find just 2 other examples neither of which were functioning and both were in terrible states (sold for spares at auction) as such value was just reduced to guesswork.

Rolex20160720_105339

Slightly let down by a dial that seems original but has faded and is a tad grimey this manual wind is not what typically springs to mind when we think of the brand, I wonder how many like this have survived?

It still keeps good time and I quite like how the hinged back is curved.  The winding block has suffered a little wear over the years but overall I'd say ot has held up pretty well.  Now it can consider itself in semi-retirement, only being worn infrequently...

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

It is worth noting that rare does not always mean valuable, something with very small supply can still be inexpensive if there isn't a demand.  This can be the case with obscure models that most are unaware of or limited additions with no particular appeal or devalued by being in a plethora of similar limited additions.

I bought this 1924 Rolex extra-prima relatively cheaply, and am convinced that it is pretty rare.  Trying to research its value I could find just 2 other examples neither of which were functioning and both were in terrible states (sold for spares at auction) as such value was just reduced to guesswork.

Rolex20160720_105339

Slightly let down by a dial that seems original but has faded and is a tad grimey this manual wind is not what typically springs to mind when we think of the brand, I wonder how many like this have survived?

It still keeps good time and I quite like how the hinged back is curved.  The winding block has suffered a little wear over the years but overall I'd say ot has held up pretty well.  Now it can consider itself in semi-retirement, only being worn infrequently...

Now that's exactly the kinda' thing I'm talking about - - WIS-y stuff that we might know about but others not so much - - any more? Not sure if Mach still seeks a "ServiceS" alarm clock - for example!

BTW, that's a very nice Rolex DaveyBoy, "classic" in every sense of the word. :yes:

Edited by mel
Edited out typos! Not enough Brandy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...