• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Traveling abroad with watches

Greedo

On 15/01/2018 at 23:40, Lou61 said:

Going abroad I usually take a cheapo ebay HMT. If I get robbed or smash it, nobody cares, and customs aren't going to get interested. Old pic.

IMG_1568

I'm not overly keen on the watch, but that's a very nice shirt/jacket combination, if I may say so :)

6 hours ago, chas g said:

Personally I would take one watch and wear it.

I don't think I look dodgy but at Munich Airport I casually walked through towards the waiting coach. Heard German voices shouting behind me which I ignored. The next thing I knew I was being thoroughly searched in a security room. They even opened my camera and of course ruined the film. No explanation or apology.

I have also picked up my baggage off the carousel when I came back from Malta and it had obviously been searched as the lock was missing and the contents had just been stuffed back in.

Just not worth the risk of trying to "get" things through customs.

Good thread revival seeing as travelling is opening up now. 

At almost every airport and ferry terminal I get collared, I've had more x-rays than a hospital patient, I had my car impounded at Hull docks, they x-rayed the tyres and customs literally stripped the car. And don't even ask me about immigration at O'hare airport. I even got turned over by a customs bloke in the main hall at Newcastle Airport after I had cleared customs and was on my way to the car park. Big M got arrested by immigration in Singapore and there were calls to the the British Consulate. As I have said previously when I asked her who the suits were that collared her in the airport as we were going into the departure lounge she replied "Special Branch" 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

But all that being said strangely even though I've made my way round the world the last thing anyone was interested in was my Rolex's or the several other watches we used to take with us. 

Obviously I can't tell you the full story on a public tinternet forum. 

:biggrin:

21 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Obviously I can't tell you the full story on a public tinternet forum. 

:biggrin:

I hope you don't mind me saying but having looked at your profile photo, it might be the dark glasses that give you a slightly ******** appearance :yes:

Edited by chas g
  • Haha 1

It is always worth doing research before travelling to find out what the local regulations are. I only ever travel with one watch, the value of which depends on the country, usually an old Explorer II or Omega X33 - for countries which are less salubrious a cheap quartz 

On 30/09/2021 at 14:37, Thrudge said:

that's a very nice shirt/jacket combination

Many thanks. The jacket is a Magee Donegal tweed and the shirt is a Charles Tyrwhitt. Jacket was pricey but the shirt (like most of my shirts) is a charity shop find.

I think I've given my remaining Indian watches to the 710. This is my latest generation of grab and go 'nickables':

IMG_5251.jpg

52 minutes ago, Lou61 said:

Many thanks. The jacket is a Magee Donegal tweed and the shirt is a Charles Tyrwhitt. Jacket was pricey but the shirt (like most of my shirts) is a charity shop find.

I think I've given my remaining Indian watches to the 710. This is my latest generation of grab and go 'nickables':

IMG_5251.jpg

I do like the look of those Bulova's with their sweeping quartz seconds.