• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Skykilla123

Help with Omega watch

Hi all, after going through my parents jewellery I came across this Omega watch. They know nothing about it just that it's a watch and I was hoping if anyone could
maybe know if it's real or fake, a copy or some parts actually genuine or just simply anything regarding this watch. I have been told the watch seems like a custom make with the face only similar to factory made Omega watches and the movement seem Swiss and genuine. Ultimately what estimated value could be seen from the photos.
Thank you.

20180129_095153.jpg20180129_095213.jpg20180129_095339.jpg

Thanks for the clear photos. It's lovely. I've never seen an Omega with a display  caseback. :hmmm9uh:

Some Omega collectors here may have some input. I should caution you that most forum members do not do valuations due to practical and legal reasons. Practical: can't really examine the movement in details like in person. Legal: believe it or not once upon a time someone tried suing an online forum for providing inaccurate information prior to a watch owner trying to auction. Since then forum members have been generally wary of telling strangers what a watch could get at auction, instead suggesting you do your own research on eBay and other auction sites for completed sales of comparable watches. 

As @thegreentreefrog alluded to, an AD (authorized dealer) can authenticate the model and movement and from there perhaps give you some appraisal. Of course, if you own the original box and paperwork (receipt, even) it makes the watch more easy to sell on and at a more advantageous price. 

1 hour ago, mr.chef said:

Fake - sorry

Welcome, new user. Please say "howdy" in the Introduce Yourself  section. If you have some pics of your watch collection, you can join the member as a Gallery Member and upload pics (or use a third party image hosting service). 

• Like 1

I'm with those on the fake side I'm afraid, a watch of that style wouldn't have a caseback with 'Planet Ocean' on and '2000 ft' on it, and those screws are horrendous. ... :)

• Like 3

I'm also sure that watch never saw an Omega factory.  Looks very wrong in my opinion.     If you want to be really sure take it to an Omega authorised dealer for an assessment. 

Sorry another Fake vote from me. Dial wrong,  Handset wrong, Bracelet wrong & the case back as Mike states says Planet Ocean but the style of the watch is more DeVille and even that would be a tenuous copy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chromejob said:

Thanks for the clear photos. It's lovely. I've never seen an Omega with a display  caseback. :hmmm9uh:

Eh? 

Edited by Steve D UK

9 hours ago, Skykilla123 said:

Hi all, after going through my parents jewellery I came across this Omega watch. They know nothing about it just that it's a watch and I was hoping if anyone could
maybe know if it's real or fake, a copy or some parts actually genuine or just simply anything regarding this watch. I have been told the watch seems like a custom make with the face only similar to factory made Omega watches and the movement seem Swiss and genuine. Ultimately what estimated value could be seen from the photos.
Thank you.

20180129_095153.jpg20180129_095213.jpg20180129_095339.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would tend to think fake here - the wording on the movement `Swiss Omega Made' sounds wrong and more like a Chinese translation. The 600m rating puts it in their professional dive watch category and this looks more dress watch (ladies?) and not something you are likely to wear in the water.

You could try a google search on Omega display back images or planet oceans etc or look for one of the free online valuation services for more information.

• Like 2

[quote
Welcome, new user. Please say "howdy" in the Introduce Yourself  section. If you have some pics of your watch collection, you can join the member as a Gallery Member and upload pics (or use a third party image hosting service). 

I rather embracingly thought this was on TZ where I post regularly under the same name. It looks like I joined in 2016 but can’t remember doing so! I’ll post in the introduction thread later.

Regarding the watch in question it is without doubt a fake. They have taken the inspiration behind the design from a selection of the Omega line up.

Cheers

4 hours ago, artistmike said:

I'm with those on the fake side I'm afraid, a watch of that style wouldn't have a caseback with 'Planet Ocean' on and '2000 ft' on it, and those screws are horrendous. ... :)

Exactly the first thing I thought on seeing the photos, to which I would add the bracelet's horrendous too.

7 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Even if you knew absolutely nothing about watches @Skykilla123 ,,, you could possibly aquaint yourself with the fact that 800m does not equal 2000ft ,,, in fact its no where near 2000ft ,,,

You can prove anything anything if you're just going to use facts .... :laugh:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Even if you knew absolutely nothing about watches @Skykilla123 ,,, you could possibly aquaint yourself with the fact that 800m does not equal 2000ft ,,, in fact its no where near 2000ft ,,,

Come on, whats 624 feet between friends ? :baby:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

But 600m (1968.5ft) which it actually states if you look closely is in fact often rounded to 2000ft as it is on the real Planet Ocean. If you are going to be pedantic, you need first to be right!

In reality this would likely leak and die at 2 feet under water.

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you to all for your help and feedback, definately have more of an understanding with even more research and help. Im still learning how to use this forum so bare with me.

As for the people saying it's 800m. Well obviously 800m is not 2000ft although it actually says 600m. Must have been just a lack of quality of the photo.

Ditto what others have said, that bracelet looks like crap you wouldn't even find on a Seiko. Based on others' feedback, I'd say it's hammer time (i.e. time to destroy the counterfeit).

12 hours ago, Steve D UK said:

Eh? 

I'm a pirate, I don't always openly fly the Sarcasm flag while under way on the Internet.

10 hours ago, mr.chef said:

I rather embracingly thought this was on TZ where I post regularly under the same name. It looks like I joined in 2016 but can’t remember doing so! I’ll post in the introduction thread later.

Regarding the watch in question it is without doubt a fake. They have taken the inspiration behind the design from a selection of the Omega line up.

Cheers

We'll embrace you as well, in time. ... "Inspiration" is one way to put it. 

7 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Try 600M as others have pointed out ... which is roughly 1968 ft. Anyway, dead horse parrot by the time I got back to the thread. 

6 hours ago, Skykilla123 said:

Im still learning how to use this forum so bare with me.

Careful now, mate. We have some basic rules of conduct here. :rolleyes::whistle: 

Edited by Chromejob