UK Watch Forum banner

Vintage Seamaster FAKES>

5K views 60 replies 24 participants last post by  Filterlab 
#1 ·
#2 ·

Model Variations and Scope

What models are we considering? The SM300 has been produced since 1958 and is still a part of the Omega collection. This guide looks at the so-called second generation of SM300's, reference 165.024 (no date) or the 166.024 (with date).

omega_sm300_mine.jpg

For many collectors considered THE Omega Seamaster 300, ref. 165.024 (no date). A classic and a rival to Rolex Submariner 5513.

#3 ·
Attention to Detail !>

It is also important to check the font of the 6 and 9 numbers. They serifs should be open and not closed, closed signifying a fake dial.

6fake6authentic.jpg

FAKE! Closed serifs at 6. Original dial to the right. Also notice the small hole in the lumina on the original one. This is a sign that the watch has not been re-lumed and has its original lumina

9fakeauthentic.jpg

FAKE! Closed serifs at 9. Original dial to the right. Notice the stubbies on the fake one as well. Sometime the fakers manage to double their mistakes.

#5 ·
:mad0218: Posting links to other people's (sites) content ... try a little harder, eh? :thumbsup:

If you really think you're teaching this crowd about vintage watches, you are truly :to_become_senile: .

#6 ·
Leaving fakes aside, this blog also brings up the issue of the SMPs that have had replacement parts since manufacture but which are not Frankens as they were not originally made from parts of other SMPs. As with old cars it must be really difficult to prove originality over a watches life. Perhaps this is the attraction of NOS pieces?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
@thegreentreefrog your example is a hell of a watch and an original 165.024 or 166.024 - especially with provenance - should be a 5 figure Omega, collectors are queueing up for them. However, the patina on your bezel is nowhere near in line with the dial. The older ones are made of different materials and the detail (the numbers, the 5 minute batons and 12 o'clock triangle) yellows very easily. Yours shows not one bit of fading I'm afraid to say and for once that's a bad thing - it is almost certainly a service replacement, the colour, the text and the spacing appear (to my eye) incorrect.

Does that kill the sale? Nope! Original bezels can be had if you hunt hard enough, these watches still get broken for parts now and again.

What kills the sale is you. I've been back on here a day so I've no idea if you have "form", but all I saw on that thread was you blocking people for asking questions. :laugh: :laugh: Stick to your guns by all means, but you're on a forum FULL of watch experts... I'm sure you know best though, I feel put in my place already after you advising me to "do my homework". I won't tell you what I do for a living.

#15 ·
@thegreentreefrog your example is a hell of a watch and an original 165.024 or 166.024 - especially with provenance - should be a 5 figure Omega, collectors are queueing up for them. However, the patina on your bezel is nowhere near in line with the dial. The older ones are made of different materials and the detail (the numbers, the 5 minute batons and 12 o'clock triangle) yellows very easily. Yours shows not one bit of fading I'm afraid to say and for once that's a bad thing - it is almost certainly a service replacement, the colour, the text and the spacing appear (to my eye) incorrect.

Does that kill the sale? Nope! Original bezels can be had if you hunt hard enough, these watches still get broken for parts now and again.

What kills the sale is you. I've been back on here a day so I've no idea if you have "form", but all I saw on that thread was you blocking people for asking questions. :laugh: :laugh: Stick to your guns by all means, but you're on a forum FULL of watch experts... I'm sure you know best though, I feel put in my place already after you advising me to "do my homework". I won't tell you what I do for a living.
I gave the watch to my Dad when i got out of the Navy, He was a carpenter and bumped the bezel and it came off. The Bezel was stored for over 45 years until I had it put back on the watch 5 years ago. YES THE WATCH IS ALL 100% ORIGINAL!

To many EXPERTS on this SITE that only know what they have read.

I'm not on here to argue with TROLLS that live in mommy's basement.

I have BIGGER FISH TO FRY!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

#26 ·
While we're spouting unrelated and irrelevant facts to make us sound tougher, I once hit Bruce Banner in the face using Chuck Norris, and when he got cross and changed into the Incredible Hulk I beat him in an arm wrestle.

What does that qualify me for? :)
A round of applause.

I used to use Chuck Norris's beard as toilet paper. That's how tough I am. Scratch resistant!

#48 ·
Teller of tall tales, more likely. A quick search online turns up that he was a "Communications and Records Log Yeoman," an E-4. Flying intelligence operative?; in a pig's EYE>. Served only three years, perhaps. Trump fanatic (hung a huge banner of him from his home or his business). Studied praying mantis kung fu at one time (in NY), apparently it didn't teach him any inner peace or civility. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Filterlab and ong
#54 ·
Take up knitting?

Some of you young gippers don't remember "Who shot JR?" on Dallas? Okay, maybe some of you remember I Dream of Jeannie.... ;)

#57 ·
This post was just like shining the bat signal into the sky , except instead of the bat signal , you must have shined a different signal into the sky !!

[ sorry if I appear a tiny bit rude ]
I have studied the martial arts for 2 1/2 years under a US NAVY SEAL, That qualifies me to tell you Sir. TO GO F#CK YOURSELF!
I studied martial arts for 12 years under Shihan Blackburn, it embodied respect in individuals amongst other things.[IMG alt=":aggressive:" data-emoticon=""]http://xflive.thewatchforum.co.uk/uploads/monthly_2015_06/aggressive.gif.8802af01842809eff11075336f95b4bd.gif[/IMG]

Does martial arts training actually make it easier to SHOUT AT PEOPLE ONLINE then? Are there finger exercises to allow HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT KEY for extended periods?
OBVIOUSLY . :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.