• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
thegreentreefrog

Vintage Seamaster FAKES>

Model Variations and Scope

What models are we considering? The SM300 has been produced since 1958 and is still a part of the Omega collection. This guide looks at the so-called second generation of SM300's, reference 165.024 (no date) or the 166.024 (with date).

omega_sm300_mine.jpg
For many collectors considered THE Omega Seamaster 300, ref. 165.024 (no date). A classic and a rival to Rolex Submariner 5513.

21 minutes ago, thegreentreefrog said:

Attention to Detail !>

It is also important to check the font of the 6 and 9 numbers. They serifs should be open and not closed, closed signifying a fake dial.

6fake6authentic.jpg
FAKE! Closed serifs at 6. Original dial to the right. Also notice the small hole in the lumina on the original one. This is a sign that the watch has not been re-lumed and has its original lumina

9fakeauthentic.jpg
FAKE! Closed serifs at 9. Original dial to the right. Notice the stubbies on the fake one as well.  Sometime the fakers manage to double their mistakes.
  • Like 1

:mad0218:  Posting links to other people's (sites) content ... try a little harder, eh? :thumbsup:

If you really think you're teaching this crowd about vintage watches, you are truly :to_become_senile:

Leaving fakes aside,  this blog also brings up the issue of the SMPs that have had replacement parts since manufacture but which are not Frankens as they were not originally made from parts of other SMPs.   As with old cars it must be really difficult to prove originality over a watches life.  Perhaps this is the attraction of NOS pieces? 

• Like 1

@thegreentreefrog your example is a hell of a watch and an original 165.024 or 166.024 - especially with provenance - should be a 5 figure Omega, collectors are queueing up for them. However, the patina on your bezel is nowhere near in line with the dial. The older ones are made of different materials and the detail (the numbers, the 5 minute batons and 12 o'clock triangle) yellows very easily. Yours shows not one bit of fading I'm afraid to say and for once that's a bad thing - it is almost certainly a service replacement, the colour, the text and the spacing appear (to my eye) incorrect.  

Does that kill the sale?  Nope! Original bezels can be had if you hunt hard enough, these watches still get broken for parts now and again.

What kills the sale is you. I've been back on here a day so I've no idea if you have "form", but all I saw on that thread was you blocking people for asking questions.  :laugh: :laugh:  Stick to your guns by all means, but you're on a forum FULL of watch experts... I'm sure you know best though, I feel put in my place already after you advising me to "do my homework".   I won't tell you what I do for a living. 

Edited by kevkojak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lampoc said:

Should have clarified! The OP. 

Definite  front runner...........bit authoritarian.

3 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

@thegreentreefrog your example is a hell of a watch and an original 165.024 or 166.024 - especially with provenance - should be a 5 figure Omega, collectors are queueing up for them. However, the patina on your bezel is nowhere near in line with the dial. The older ones are made of different materials and the text yellows very easily. Yours shows not one bit of fading I'm afraid to say and for once that's a bad thing - it is almost certainly a service replacement, the colour, the text and the spacing appear (to my eye) incorrect.  

Does that kill the sale?  Nope! Original bezels can be had if you hunt hard enough, these watches still get broken for parts now and again.

What kills the sale is you. I've been back on here a day so I've no idea if you have "form", but all I saw on that thread was you blocking people for asking questions.  :laugh: :laugh:  Stick to your guns by all means, but you're on a forum FULL of watch experts... I'm sure you know best though, I feel put in my place already after you advising me to "do my homework".   I won't tell you what I do for a living. 

Hello Kevkojak, long time no see, the forums loss. Greetings :)

Edited by RWP
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

...at least we have possibly learnt about numeral fonts... at the very least

Yep, not something I actually knew before this thread.

Edited by Filterlab
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

@thegreentreefrog your example is a hell of a watch and an original 165.024 or 166.024 - especially with provenance - should be a 5 figure Omega, collectors are queueing up for them. However, the patina on your bezel is nowhere near in line with the dial. The older ones are made of different materials and the detail (the numbers, the 5 minute batons and 12 o'clock triangle) yellows very easily. Yours shows not one bit of fading I'm afraid to say and for once that's a bad thing - it is almost certainly a service replacement, the colour, the text and the spacing appear (to my eye) incorrect.  

I gave the watch to my Dad when i got out of the Navy, He was a carpenter and bumped the bezel and it came off. The Bezel was stored for over 45 years until I had it put back on the watch 5 years ago. YES THE WATCH IS ALL 100% ORIGINAL!

To many EXPERTS on this SITE that only know what they have read.

I'm not on here to argue with TROLLS that live in mommy's basement.

I have BIGGER FISH TO FRY! 

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

... I'm sure you know best though, I feel put in my place already after you advising me to "do my homework".   I won't tell you what I do for a living. 

I think we all know what you do for a living.   Detective Lieutenant with the NYPD.  I've seen you prove it with your badge on the telly.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lampoc said:

Are you possibly the rudest individual ever to hit this forum?

I have studied the martial arts for 2 1/2 years under a US NAVY SEAL, That qualifies me to tell you Sir. TO GO F#CK YOURSELF!

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, thegreentreefrog said:

I gave the watch to my Dad when i got out of the Navy, He was a carpenter and bumped the bezel and it came off. The Bezel was stored for over 45 years until I had it put back on the watch 5 years ago. YES THE WATCH IS ALL 100% ORIGINAL!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

So per your forum posts, are you saying you wore it without a bezel for all those years you were a spook and that lot. Your story has more holes on it than a cheap jarlsberg 

• Haha 1

I've just done a bit of reading back... this is the same gentleman who referred to his 1969 never-a-moon-watch mkII as a "pre-moon" Speedy?

It all makes sense now. 

Edited by kevkojak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, thegreentreefrog said:

I have studied the martial arts for 2 1/2 years under a US NAVY SEAL...

Blimey, that would have been a lot easier if he'd got off you. :laugh:

Edited by Filterlab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, thegreentreefrog said:

I have studied the martial arts for 2 1/2 years under a US NAVY SEAL, That qualifies me to tell you Sir. TO GO F#CK YOURSELF!

No it doesn't.......it probably proves you are the biggest blowhard on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, thegreentreefrog said:

To [sic] many EXPERTS on this SITE that only know what they have read.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

:oops: :rofl:  :taunt: :clap:

Best laugh I've had all day. 

25 minutes ago, thegreentreefrog said:

I've found that blowhards deflate quite easily, making a comical sound like a balloon flying around the room. 

Edited by Chromejob
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, thegreentreefrog said:

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

I think your caps lock key is a bit sticky. Might be time to change your keyboard, or do I mean 'too' change your keyboard. Don't worry, to and too are interchangeable (not... er I mean NOT). :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While we're spouting unrelated and irrelevant facts to make us sound tougher, I once hit Bruce Banner in the face using Chuck Norris, and when he got cross and changed into the Incredible Hulk I beat him in an arm wrestle.

True story bro.

What does that qualify me for? :)

Edited by kevkojak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7