• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
michalmox

Pls Help - pre ww2 - 1940s Avalon ???

Hi, I would like to know some more about these watches, but I can not find any info. Any information about the Avalon brand is here on the forum but not much.
Can they be (are) military (pillot) watches?
Thanks Michael

Some details about them:

Case Size: 38mm
Lug Width: 18mm
Mineral domed glass 
Movement diameter:23mm
Dial diameter: circa 28mms

2yorfvo.jpg

sl0i2g.jpg

2res27d.jpg

xku0bm.jpg

2rz9ev5.jpg

e6rlvo.jpg

20to6mp.jpg

I would class it as "military style" with the fixed lugs - - this is to help prevent loss if the spring bars break, and you use a one piece strap or similar. Personally I would fit a "Bund" type strap to improve the size on the wrist. :yes:

The dial is similarly "military inspired", but doesn't have a 24 hour chapter, although I like the sub seconds above the six mark! Clean it up, put it on a Bund and wear and enjoy! Good luck with research on the AVALON marque. :laugh:

I have done a bit of research online with regard to Avalon watches, and the results are just scattered pieces of information insufficient to draw up any sort of history. The brand was evidently extant from at least the mid-1920s, and we find Avalon branded watches continuing into the 1950s. The watches used A. Schild movements as well as those from ETA. At some stage in its history, Avalon was a brand owned by the Banner Watch Company, with the brand first being registered to Schein & Engel of the Banner concern in 1927. In fact, it does appear that Schein & Englel were concerned with the importation of Avalon watches into the USA, and the US connection with Avalon may have continued through to about 1960. As a final note, don't confuse the Avalon under discussion here with the "Avalon" watch produced by the Melbourne Watch Co., a modern Australian watch firm. Sorry I can't be more definitive or detailed about Avalon watches - hopefully future research will bring more information to light.:)

• Like 1