• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

how did we live through the 1970's and 1980's?

I spent a lot of the early 70`s  on another planet 

Daviescirca1971Photo_0001int.jpg.0d5ab65b2b8718b84528f814e54381b5.jpg

Smoking funny smelling rollups & swallowing strange, mind altering, little tablets, Man!

image.jpeg.70d4d38506dc8447744c53c895f9b81b.jpeg

Later in the decade I did my training to become a Psychiatric Nurse & occasionally had to  look after people who had been like I used to be, what goes around comes around as they say  :laugh:

Btw, these days I`m a good boy & don`t even drink alcohol 135351058_(6).gif.d5fc077b94ea13a9b6a00cc61e49be77.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a youngster in the early 1970's I was  Out of contact with my parents all day until I decided to come home, no mobile phones those days! Cycle everywhere on a fixed wheel bike with no

I spent a lot of the early 70`s  on another planet      Smoking funny smelling rollups & swallowing strange, mind altering, little tablets, Man!     Later i

I didn't live through them but they always sound a lot of fun even though things were much harder then in many ways Music was certainly better

Posted Images

On 19/04/2019 at 13:12, mach 0.0013137 said:

I spent a lot of the early 70`s  on another planet 

Daviescirca1971Photo_0001int.jpg.0d5ab65b2b8718b84528f814e54381b5.jpg

Smoking funny smelling roll-ups & swallowing strange, mind altering, little tablets, Man!

image.jpeg.f5726356186ae0180300601ef3b9aba0.jpeg

Later in the decade I did my training to become a Psychiatric Nurse & occasionally had to  look after people who had been like I used to be, what goes around comes around as they say  :laugh:

Btw, these days I`m a good boy & don`t even drink alcohol 135351058_(6).gif.d5fc077b94ea13a9b6a00cc61e49be77.gif

And did it all affect you?....noooooo...not at all...:whistle:

large.582873d146c50_Machwithtrayonhead.gif.043bb4a3f6ac6f70b96bde9bc9481a20.gif

:laughing2dw:

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Favourite pud.

instant-whip-front1.jpg

I liked that, too. Didn't it undergo a name change to Angel Delight? Basically the same stuff and I still like it today. I once made the mistake of telling the M-I-L that I liked it, and now she serves it up for pudding everytime we go round there.

Image result for angels delight

...and these, too. We used to pinch them out of the larder and eat them straight from the packet.

Image result for rowntrees jelly

• Like 2
3 hours ago, rolexgirl said:

I didn't live through them but they always sound a lot of fun even though things were much harder then in many ways

Music was certainly better

The 70's and 80's were easy for me. Worked hard and didn't give a $h!t. The older I get the more I worry. Lived off grid from the 80's until last year. Now everything is fancy, and I don't like it, wife does though. Still got my dream. 

1965-airstream-safari-international901.j

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

As a youngster in the early 1970's I was 

• Out of contact with my parents all day until I decided to come home, no mobile phones those days!
  • Cycle everywhere on a fixed wheel bike with no helmet
  • Climbed trees right to the top on ridiculously thin branches
  • Walking along railway lines
  • Wandering around derelict buildings
  • Getting somebody to buy a bottle of Strongbow cider from the off-licence
  • Exploring the opposite sex (with consent I might add)
  • Taping Alan Freeman's Radio 1 show "Pick of the Pops" on a Sunday Evening
  • Hitch hiking all over the place
  • Climbing along the cliff faces to get Seagull eggs or just for fun (until one of our number fell to his death)
  • Pulling our parka hoods around our heads and shooting .177 air rifles at each other
  • Scaring ourselves by going into old ironstone mines
  • Collecting things, birds eggs, insects, beer mats
  • Always carried a pen knife and sometimes a sheath knife

It was a simple life full of freedom but looking back on some of the things we did I was certainly lucky, especially climbing along the cliffs

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, JoT said:

• Out of contact with my parents all day until I decided to come home, no mobile phones those days!
  • Climbing along the cliff faces to get Seagull eggs or just for fun (until one of our number fell to his death)
  • Pulling our parka hoods around our heads and shooting .177 air rifles at each other

It was a simple life full of freedom but looking back on some of the things we did I was certainly lucky, especially climbing along the cliffs

Very similar...except we didn't shoot each other or go down mines...

Substitute going on snake hunts and going fishing

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, JoT said:

you sound like i was from the age of about 8 until 14 when i had to knuckle down for exams at school. Plus dad taught me to light fires in the woods, always had a pen knife until i cut the washing lines all up the street, got it confiscated and moved onto darts which was ok until me and a mate stuck them in car tyres outside the factory at the bottom of the street. Never remember getting really done though. Always out on bmx's knock a door run in the dark, sneaking into the local hospital grounds in the dark. Being out while 9 in the winter and 10 in the summer. Swimming in rivers, fighting all the usual stuff. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

The police had one of these,

7902.jpg

I had one too...a 1968 (G reg) beauty....probably worth more than my GMT today.......and I didn't follow QPR, that was my daft friend (sadly no longer with us) who insisted I put it on the back window....:sadwalk:

Roger's Miscellaneous Album.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I had one too...a 1968 (G reg) beauty....probably worth more than my GMT today.......and I didn't follow QPR, that was my daft friend (sadly no longer with us) who insisted I put it on the back window....:sadwalk:

Roger's Miscellaneous Album.

I had a blue pick-up. Got it off my brother in law for a £100 with a years tax and test. It was an early one where the gear leaver came out from under the dash. It was more up and down than backwards and forwards.

Edited by WRENCH
1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

I had a blue pick-up. Got it off my brother in law for a £100 with a years tax and test. It was an early one where the gear leaves came out from under the dash. It was more up and down than backwards and forwards.

That one above was the same....had the long gear shift. Later, I put 4 1/2"J rims (the widest you could get away with without adding 'spats''), had the 998 head skimmed after grinding the 'beaks' out of the cylinder head chambers to improve combustion, lined the back with the thin polystyrene sheeting used as wallpaper backing to stop condensation, pinstriped the body, put a 'coal scuttle' twin exhaust on it and thought I was 'IT'...until the TR6 made it's appearance...it was like going from Timex to Rolex...:yes:

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would have a lasted long on my Raleigh Shopper / Midi Moulton without the sound advice, tips and general counsel of Peter Noone off of Herman's Hermits and the superlative bicycling stylings of the young Keith Chegwin.

On 10/05/2019 at 20:13, JoT said:

Obviously a juvenile delinquent, what would Maggie have said? 

Image result for Angry maggie thatcher

:laugh: