• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Memorable Motorcycles

WRENCH

OK, I know some on here have/had, bikes, I've certainty had more than a few, ranging from self destructing British twins, Japanese multis, and some of Europe's finest, Guzzi's, Ducati's, and BMW's. But, there has always been the reliable everyday all weather reliable hack. Here's my favorites. (Pics from the web)

Honda XL 250 K3.

http://nippon-classic.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/19750516_Honda_XL250_2_H-37-740x357.jpg

Panther M120 650 single.

b9a56077f9d62547c5a6444cc06f38a9.jpg

And my all time favorite, and longest ownership, and very ugly. MZ TS 250.

MZ-TS-250-9650_3.jpg

Standard Honda TLS front brake conversion. Long travel soft suspension, and super reliable, once the East German bearings were dumped. You can change the motor on one of these in little over half an hour. Rubber mounted engine, so no vibes, and superb handling.

What's yours ? Tell the truth. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

MZ ETS 250. Bought new in 1973. The one with the high handlebars, soon dumped for "flats". Great motorbike that was. I like Beeza M21s as well. 

Before the MZ, a motley collection of what was cheap. Tiger Cub was one.

Had a 400 / 4. Very nice bike that was

And a Yam XS 750. Nice bike but I didn't keep it for long.

Bit later I had a very nice Suzuki T500.   

• Like 1

My very first Beemer has to be my most memorable one. When I saw this add back in 1974 I just knew I had to have it. I had to fly to New York and pick it up from Butler & Smith who were the sole importers for North America at the time. The three day journey ride back home was like a fairy tale. I kept it for six year then bought a R100RT when I was stationed in Germany. I never looked back on the brand and had several since.

ult1.jpg

Skinny me in Germany ca. 1981.

G5.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

Germany ca. 1981.

I had a R100s. Cast discs front and rear, upgraded Brembo calipers, super quality and reliable, apart from that gearbox pawl spring failing. It had the optional kickstart, and was the foulest handling thing on two wheels I've ever owned on twisty roads. A set of Koni dial a ride shocks helped. Mind you I did scrape the engine bars a couple of times. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

Never had a CX, but I always fancied one. A mate had one and he liked it, but I think he wanted a bit more poke.

I liked that Honda 400 / 4. I'm a fairly big bloke ( a bit too big these days!)  but I really prefer something with less weight.

I haven't ridden for some years now though. Seemed to me that every time I went out some idiot would have a go at putting me in a box. Not riding like a loony either.

Driving was awful down here in the SW then, and it ain't got any better since!

59 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I had a R100s. Cast discs front and rear, upgraded Brembo calipers, super quality and reliable, apart from that gearbox pawl spring failing. It had the optional kickstart, and was the foulest handling thing on two wheels I've ever owned on twisty roads. A set of Koni dial a ride shocks helped. Mind you I did scrape the engine bars a couple of times. :laughing2dw:

I had the optional NIVOMAT self leveling at the rear. A huge fork brace and stiffer front springs helped a lot. The bike was very stable on the autobahn even two-up. I still have nail scars on my ribs. :laugh:

7 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

The bike was very stable on the autobahn even two-up.

That is most certainly the bikes true environment. Touring costal Irish roads, certainly not. My mate had nivomats on his RT, and said they were fantastic. I gave up with the BM and bought a Transalp. Which, surprisingly was about 10 mpg worse.

I passed my test 11 years ago. 

Had two bike a

Suzuki van van 125cc

Kawasaki ER6f 650cc parallel twin

Not owned a bike now for about 8 years as never really got a chance to use it. Regret letting the van van go as it was a great bike for nipping out for a loaf of bread. Stock image below. 

25232457057_073de8a1e2_b.jpgvanvan_125_blue_rear34_facing_left by David Wren, on Flickr

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I passed my test 42 years ago today on my mate's RD200. 

My RD has clip ons and a top half fairing with no indicators. 

The Sunday after pasing my test my bike gave out a loud shriek and siezed up.One of the main bearings had given up. 

Standard practice was to put RD 250 side panels on a 400 and frighten Bonneville's. 

Funny, last bike I had on the road was an oil in the frame American spec (I think that's what they're called high bars and small tank) 750 Bonny, nice clean bike, and ran well but I think the engine had been "got at". Great at main road speeds, not so great round town and on the lanes. I didn't really like it that much. Heavy, tall, indifferent handling, vibration.

One of the "nicest" bikes I ever rode belonged to a mate of mine. Difficult to say what made it "nice" but it was. It was an ordinary Triumph 500 twin. Don't remember the model. It wasn't pristine or anything, but had been looked after by somebody who knew what they were doing. Ran beautifully. Smooth as anything (Really smooth and I was riding that 400 /4 then)

Said to my mate a year or two back about it, he said he wished he'd never sold it. 

1 minute ago, Amplidyne said:

Funny, last bike I had on the road was an oil in the frame American spec (I think that's what they're called high bars and small tank) 750 Bonny, nice clean bike, and ran well but I think the engine had been "got at". Great at main road speeds, not so great round town and on the lanes. I didn't really like it that much. Heavy, tall, indifferent handling, vibration.

One of the "nicest" bikes I ever rode belonged to a mate of mine. Difficult to say what made it "nice" but it was. It was an ordinary Triumph 500 twin. Don't remember the model. It wasn't pristine or anything, but had been looked after by somebody who knew what they were doing. Ran beautifully. Smooth as anything (Really smooth and I was riding that 400 /4 then)

Said to my mate a year or two back about it, he said he wished he'd never sold it. 

The 500 Daytona looked like a smaller Bonnie. 

2 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I had a 400/4 too, one of the best ive had. Lovely handling and good on petrol

Reliable too

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

This was an earlier one. A pre unit. Just an ordinary single carb job. They always said that the best vertical twins were the 500s. Apparently the bigger engines didn't balance as well. 

And yes, I think on the whole I liked the 400 /4 the best out of the lot. I sold it to get the XS750, and almost immediately regretted it.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing! :-)

Edited by Amplidyne

2 minutes ago, Amplidyne said:

This was an earlier one. A pre unit. Just an ordinary single carb job. They always said that the best vertical twins were the 500s. Apparently the bigger engines didn't balance as well. 

I'd still love a late 850 Commando but can't see me ever getting one. 

I always liked the tiger 90's which had similar performance to the quicker jap 250's

2 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I'd still love a late 850 Commando but can't see me ever getting one. 

I always liked the tiger 90's which had similar performance to the quicker jap 250's

Yeah I always fancied a Commando. Never had one. Always really wanted a 500 Velo. Again I won't have one now. Reality is I probably wouldn't use it much, and I suspect they're an arm and a leg to buy! 

Sunbeam S7 as well! 

• Like 1

My first bike, I'll always have fond memories of this breaking down on Shap fell in the middle of winter.. I literally rode this to death.

hondaq10.jpg

My second bike, also mentioned on this thread, was also ridden to death.  It was at the point where there was more filler than exhaust, it transpired that the exhaust would cost more than the bike was worth, I loved it none the less..

Mine, never..ever looked this good whilst I owned it.

8a487e78e3d9f62dd26d74cc81f48fcb.jpg