Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Memorable Motorcycles


WRENCH
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

 

 

Which BMW changed to the cam and push rods on the underside, which cuts down on mechanical noise.

c09142f5f01b0a35cc25829aea51f20e.jpg

 

In 2010, they introduced the even quieter chain driven overhead cams oil head. That's what I have in mine. In 2014 with the water cooling jackets, it was even quieter but doesn't really sound like a Boxer anymore. But then again, the two 'bricks' flat four I had ( 1985 and 1992) sounded more like a Japanese sewing machines :huh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

But then again, the two 'bricks' flat four I had ( 1985 and 1992) sounded more like a Japanese sewing machines :huh:

They weren't really very nice.

I had Norton Commando "open" peashooter silencers on my R100 S and it sounded gorgeous.

Always wanted a Douglas,

7543458788_e2045fc86c_b.jpg

but I'll stay with my Enfield plodder. Had enough bikes, and its good to have something simple and not too precious. :thumbsup:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, WRENCH said:

My mates had early 640 Duke's and they were quick, but for real insanity try a road legal Honda CR 500.

The 640 was woefully underpowered in relation to its weight, which in SuMo terms was heavy, and meant it stayed firmly in the "road supermoto" bracket, something like mine was very similar to the likes of a CR500/KX500, I really do miss it :tumbleweed:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Andy300 said:

The 640 was woefully underpowered in relation to its weight, which in SuMo terms was heavy, and meant it stayed firmly in the "road supermoto" bracket, something like mine was very similar to the likes of a CR500/KX500, I really do miss it :tumbleweed:

My mates brother has an Aprillia SXV550

466000.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=dow

Its pretty extreme, as is the service schedule. If used in anger, new pistons after 60 hours. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Turpinr said:

They wouldnt have coped on the original Bonnie.:(

I had a go on an RGV250 in the 90's, 20 after the last 250 2 stroke I'd been on. 

To say i was shocked was a hooooooge understatement, as the bars came up and my stomach dropped. 

Same thing happened when i sold a 400/4 and got an NC24, bars up, stomach down:sign_wtf:

I remember getting the barrels back from Stan Stephens and putting the motor back together until 3am .. getting about 2hrs sleep then spending another couple of hours getting it running properly, then out on it and back in repeatedly, starting the heat cycling for the racing run-in, eventually, after 4-500miles of gradual heat cycling and cooling of the newly tuned bits, I let her rip! ............. JEEEEEEESUS! I thought the clutch was slipping at first, but it wasn't! once the power valves opened at around 7000rpm, it was just a wall of pure 2 stroke power!! and was a feeling, sound, and smell that will stay with me forever :notworthy:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WRENCH said:

My mates brother has an Aprillia SXV550

466000.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=dow

Its pretty extreme, as is the service schedule. If used in anger, new pistons after 60 hours. 

Now ya talkin, I know lads who race SXV's, and yes, they are ballistic, and the sound they make with decent pipes on is incredible :thumbs_up:  .. just a shame the early motors were made of cheese!

I seriously considered getting gone, as I had a Prilla dealer 2mile from my house at the time, but the head mechanic put me off them for the above reason :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Andy300 said:

Now ya talkin, I know lads who race SXV's, and yes, they are ballistic, and the sound they make with decent pipes on is incredible :thumbs_up:  .. just a shame the early motors were made of cheese!

I seriously considered getting gone, as I had a Prilla dealer 2mile from my house at the time, but the head mechanic put me off them for the above reason :(

How about a supercharged JAWA with nitrous.

04_03_2011_jawa_500_02.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...