• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
WRENCH

Memorable motorcycles.

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:33, WRENCH said:

Anyone who has "misbehaved" on a motorcycle will know all about Suzukis of old. This is for sale in Zurich. Look closely and you'd see all the mods. There's a Hayabusa motor behind the fairing as well.

suzuki_hayabusa_restomod-11.jpg

gsxr+1300-004.jpg

gsxr+1300-013.jpg

That is a right mash-up! .. very appealing tho to us "Suzi" owners with a knowledge of the past :teethsmile:

First looking at the pic I thought to myself "I never knew Brembo made six pots" :laugh: .. and the fork decal reminded me of an Ohlin's sticker I had on my RGV that looked spot on like the proper one, but when you looked closer, it actually read "Oshit" ... :laugh:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andy300 said:

First looking at the pic I thought to myself "I never knew Brembo made six pots" :laugh: .. and the fork decal reminded me of an Ohlin's sticker I had on my RGV that looked spot on like the proper one, but when you looked closer, it actually read "Oshit"

It's a "play in words" .:laughing2dw:

The converted brakes are re-named ‘Bremse’ ,the word for brakes, in German, instead of Brembo. Instead of  Öhlins the forks are re-branded as ‘Öhldrin’ which is a play on Swedish that means ‘oil inside’ .

16 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

It's a "play in words" .:laughing2dw:

Yeah I spotted that straight away mate .. that's why I mentioned the Ohlins look-a-like stickers I had :laugh:

A bit like the Chinese radial master cylinders you can get on the Bay called "Blembo" for a fraction of the cost of the real thing :laugh: but made of that rare precious metal known as "Chineseium" :laugh:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy300 said:

Yeah I spotted that straight away mate .. that's why I mentioned the Ohlins look-a-like stickers I had :laugh:

A bit like the Chinese radial master cylinders you can get on the Bay called "Blembo" for a fraction of the cost of the real thing :laugh: but made of that rare precious metal known as "Chineseium" :laugh:

I'm saying nothing. :laughing2dw:

DICKASS-DISC-370mm-for-NEW-Mercedes-AMG-

• Haha 1

I think riding this would be an experience to remember.

12110194564_3f6ee79337_o.jpg

They hit 170 mph in this guise.

12109811815_ae27ff2cf9_o.jpg

One bike I always come back to is the "Floyd Clymer" Interceptor. The Indian badge sadly applies to the American Indian motorcycle company, and the power unit/transmission is the old British built 750 units. The rest is a mixture of stuff coming from Italy etc etc. One of the prettiest bikes of the era, but then I am biased.

5bf65c44d89c9366e2483f9410810794.jpg

The only thing that "spoiled" these bikes was the gear box, four speed, that had a massive jump between 3rd and 4th gear, but this can now be rectified by replacing it with a new independently manufactured close ratio five speed. The UK built Interceptors, were beautifully turned out as well, and in the performance stakes more than capable against the competition, Triumph, BSA, Norton, at all.

enfield3.jpg

The new Indian built Interceptor will be available shortly,

royal-enfield-interceptor-650-1525956295

It will be interesting to see how they compete in today's overcrowded market. The Indian bikes get a lot of serious slagging, but with well over 200,000 miles under my belt on them, relatively trouble free, they can't be that bad.

And Steve Linsdell doesn't do too Bad at the Isle of Mann at 140 mph.

46b93ecafb297d4b2c1e8245ec3e4889.jpg

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news-detail/2017-classic-tt-linsdell-achieves-140mph-royal-enfield-dream

Remember when you could walk into a showroom buy something like this and thrash about on a provisional licence with no training or lessons at all

acHvLr.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

the original Indian went out of business many years ago.  the name was hung on all sorts of cheep bikes.  "Clymer"  was a repair manual for Harleys and Indians in the 40s.  I wish I had kept some of the vintage bikes I rode.  vin

3 hours ago, Biker said:

Yip my first ride was a 250 on a provisional

I was naughty. Triumph T110 at fourteen. When the fastest police car in the area was a Vauxhall Victor. :laughing2dw: How totally irresponsible, but exceptional fun.

I remember when I was a 17 year old apprentice and was riding a FS1E, my mechanic let me have a go of his brand new Suzuki 380GT. Puny by today’s standards but it frightened the s**t out of me at the time. He must have had great faith in me or been completely stupid! 

8 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

m3tmmT.jpg

Got a mate who still has a couple of those, I could never afford one as they were new out when I started, mine was an old Honda CB250G5

These things still are the "Kings". Rare and now very expensive for a good one.

1*ON7s9J9gYVYG9TZBKi-krA.jpeg

Honda_NS400R_002_Diverse.jpg

1984_yamaha_rd500lc.jpg

Edited by WRENCH

Always wanted an original, but too slow and expensive now. So I went to have a look at the 2018 improved model, wow !

Monkey-Bike-1.JPG

it's not as small as it looks, and the seating position is not in the least cramped, and I'm 6ft. Only problem, solo saddle, so no perch for Madame, which would cause no end of friction. :angry:

• Like 1

Absolutely love bikes! Very much liking the new craze for Cafe Racing modern bikes in the Norton style. When I was a teenager my Dad was into restoring vintage bikes. He was a clever guy with lots of hobbies where one interest turned into another. Model engineering followed motorcycles for example. Was such a good time having these fantastic machines laid about. He started with a very eary French flat tanker by a manufacturer called "Favour" . Belt drive with a cone shaped pulley at drive end in two parts that could be screwed in or out to give different gearings! Ingenious. Then a similarly early BSA flatty. Three Sunbeam 350's! They were I think round the 1936 Mark. Cafe racer BSA c15. Couple of Bantams. Two Clyno from early 1900. One was ex MOD and had originally been issued with a sidecar mounted Vickers machine gun. Strange that these bikes came back from WW1 and were sold on to the public having spent their beginnings as killing machines. I love bike as I say but I would never have one. I'm just so incompetent and air headed it would end badly ha. Very much love the design and history of vintage machines.

48 minutes ago, Badman67 said:

French flat tanker by a manufacturer called "Favour"

Health and safety didn't seem to be of concern in their advertising campaign. :laughing2dw:

Favor-Scooter-Red-Girl-Framed-Print-Whit

On 13/07/2018 at 07:00, Steve D UK said:

I remember when I was a 17 year old apprentice and was riding a FS1E, my mechanic let me have a go of his brand new Suzuki 380GT. Puny by today’s standards but it frightened the s**t out of me at the time. He must have had great faith in me or been completely stupid! 

The 380 had a digital gear indicator between the clocks which looked really hitec at the time.... Sigh!!!! 

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 06:27, vinn said:

the original Indian went out of business many years ago.  the name was hung on all sorts of cheep bikes.  "Clymer"  was a repair manual for Harleys and Indians in the 40s.  I wish I had kept some of the vintage bikes I rode.  vin

Harley Davidson put the Indian bikes out of busines long ago.  the name Indian was built around the world including UK.  not USA !  i'll bet some were made out of "CHINESIUM".   I don't know what the new Harleys are made of now BUT,  here is the latest news;  Trump is driving Harley out of USA with his suggested  export tax - good riddance.  I have had good Harleys, there never "a good Indian"   motorcycle.  vin

30 minutes ago, vinn said:

the name Indian was built around the world including UK.  not USA !

Do you mean this ?

"Brockhouse Engineering acquired the rights to the Indian name after Indian went under in 1953. From 1955 through 1960, they imported English Royal Enfield motorcycles, mildly customized them in the United States, and sold them as Indians. Almost all Royal Enfield models had a corresponding Indian model in the US. The models were Indian Chief, Trailblazer, Apache (all three were 700 cc twins), Tomahawk (500 cc twin), Woodsman (500 cc single), Westerner (500 cc single), Hounds Arrow (250 cc single), Fire Arrow (250 cc single), Lance (150 cc 2-stroke single) and a 3-wheeled Patrol Car (350 cc single).

In 1960, the Indian name was bought by AMC of the UK. Royal Enfield being their competition, they abruptly stopped all Enfield-based Indian models except the 700 cc Chief. Their plan was to sell Matchless and AJS motorcycles badged as Indians. However, the venture ended when AMC itself went into liquidation in 1962."

I've had loads of bikes over the years, I don't have a car licence

I started riding in 1979 I think, with a Yamaha YB100 and had all the desirable bikes today, XT's, LC's YPVS's GS's Big CB's, and the like. I would love another CB900F.

But the one I miss the most is this streetfighter GSXR1100

22328101511164534715191.jpg

The bikes I have now, are a bit more sedate 

MwZZVe.jpg

y6OXb7.jpg

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Do you mean this ?

"Brockhouse Engineering acquired the rights to the Indian name after Indian went under in 1953. From 1955 through 1960, they imported English Royal Enfield motorcycles, mildly customized them in the United States, and sold them as Indians. Almost all Royal Enfield models had a corresponding Indian model in the US. The models were Indian Chief, Trailblazer, Apache (all three were 700 cc twins), Tomahawk (500 cc twin), Woodsman (500 cc single), Westerner (500 cc single), Hounds Arrow (250 cc single), Fire Arrow (250 cc single), Lance (150 cc 2-stroke single) and a 3-wheeled Patrol Car (350 cc single).

In 1960, the Indian name was bought by AMC of the UK. Royal Enfield being their competition, they abruptly stopped all Enfield-based Indian models except the 700 cc Chief. Their plan was to sell Matchless and AJS motorcycles badged as Indians. However, the venture ended when AMC itself went into liquidation in 1962."

the indian I am refuring to was made in the USA and popular in the 1920s'  all iron.   famous for the "hill climbs".   till the ariel square 4 was imported, for -  hill climbs.  vin

5 hours ago, vinn said:

the indian I am refuring to was made in the USA and popular in the 1920s'  all iron.   famous for the "hill climbs".   till the ariel square 4 was imported, for -  hill climbs.  vin

yes;  the last Indian  was made for the army, a boxer style eng. with shaft drive for the desert war in the 40s.   the project was to  out do the German BMW with side car, it did not pan out, but, Harley had done, years before,  with a .50 cal. machinegun mounted in the side car to chase Poncho Villa who was on horse back.!  in ww11, Harley Davidson was busy sending small [45 c.i.] courier bikes to "the allies" and big 80 c.l. for the highway police because some  1939 cars were reaching 100 mph.    vin

7 hours ago, Faze said:

I've had loads of bikes over the years, I don't have a car licence

I started riding in 1979 I think, with a Yamaha YB100 and had all the desirable bikes today, XT's, LC's YPVS's GS's Big CB's, and the like. I would love another CB900F.

But the one I miss the most is this streetfighter GSXR1100

22328101511164534715191.jpg

The bikes I have now, are a bit more sedate 

MwZZVe.jpg

y6OXb7.jpg

Your other bikes look practical, but that gixxer is lovely.

• Like 1